Regeneration Of The City

Gshrek

Yeh agree...Battery Park in New York is a great example of parkland on banks of a river that is buzzing with locals and tourists. I know Perth is no NYC but the idea can be transferred. Small temp cafes along the stretch be nice.

Still think green space bang in centre would be nice too.

perth is small enough that both would be doable with a bit of council forethought

Boston was another US city where when they got rid of their  elevated highways. had huge empty city centre spaces and chose to "green" them rather than make them into roads, encouraged locals to use them, and completely regenerated downtrodden areas like the north end.

In this day and age whats the point of roads in a city centre (apart from deliveries/services), theres no where to park or even stop sometimes - they certainly dont entice consumers in

• 4 months later...

I forgot I saw one regeneration in Perth they asphalted the South St when I wis a laddie contractor wis Limmer and Trinidad affectionatley know as Limmer and #$%* me dad in them days

..and they used to put a camber on the road to enable the rainwater to reach the kerbs and the drains, thus preventing flooding.

The refurbishment of Perth Theatre (making a new entrance from Mill St. ) is to result in Skinnergate, Bridge Lane and Mill Street (from Pacos to Kinnoull St.)  to be CLOSED for up to 18 Months.

Traffic to be rerouted via Atholl Street, already named as one of Scotlands most polluted Streets.

Businesses are reported to be most unhappy with the closures and the length of time. 

Edited by HOODLUM65

The refurbishment of Perth Theatre (making a new entrance from Mill St. ) is to result in Skinnergate, Bridge Lane and Mill Street (from Pacos to Kinnoull St.)  to be CLOSED for up to 18 Months.

Traffic to be rerouted via Atholl Street, already named as one of Scotlands most polluted Streets.

Businesses are reported to be most unhappy with the closures and the length of time. 

why don't they reroute all the traffic up and down the high street.This wouldn't make any fuqing difference as theres already plenty kunts driving up  and parking where they like already.

• 2 months later...

Totally agree with the pot holes. But, as has been said, they are renovating a couple of large offices so they can close a number of smaller ones, saving £m's over time. How they spend that is largely up to you. They call them elections.

Given the abysmal turn-out for council elections, I wonder how many of the anti-council whiners on here actually get off their arses and vote? Or campaign? Or stand?

Totally agree with the pot holes. But, as has been said, they are renovating a couple of large offices so they can close a number of smaller ones, saving £m's over time. How they spend that is largely up to you. They call them elections.

Given the abysmal turn-out for council elections, I wonder how many of the anti-council whiners on here actually get off their arses and vote? Or campaign? Or stand?

C'mon biscuit. Life would not be worth living without sa good whinge.

they are renovating a couple of large offices so they can close a number of smaller ones, saving £m's over time.

Hmmm they have a big city hall which is currently a white elephant. As far as I am aware Pullar Palace is leased.

Move the council offices into the city hall, city centre has a greater foot fall of office workers might bring life to the city centre again.

Job done!

Ha ha. Could not believe my eyes as I reached the junction of Perth bridge/ Tay Street/ George Street and Charlotte Street today.

From the Bridge to Charlotte Street all the way down to North Port had the whole width of the road resurfaced, thus eliminating numerous potholes.

Nice to report a positive about the Council.

End of the financial year chief. No carry-overs in public sector budgets. Every department will have been spending money like water the last month or so. Been there, bought the tee shirt. 

Having spent 36 yrs. in Government service and 13 yrs.in local government service, I was aware it was imperative that each section/department used all of their allocated budget to try to prevent their budget for the next financial year being cut.

Having spent 36 yrs. in Government service and 13 yrs.in local government service, I was aware it was imperative that each section/department used all of their allocated budget to try to prevent their budget for the next financial year being cut.

Yeah, very efficient way to run a business.