Pitch

Cagey

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

I see they relayed one of the training pitches. The groundsman spends an inordinate length of time on the training pitches. He seems to be working on them every time I go past.

Something has to be done with the main pitch but not sure much can be done in 5/6 weeks.

Should have been RELAID before I get hung drawn and quartered.

My mate used to be a groundsman at McDiarmid and he told me during the summer the pitch would be cut 3-5 times a day. So how they do training pitch and main pitch now I don’t know. That was hand held mower not sure what they use now.

21 hours ago, Cagey said:

I see they relayed one of the training pitches. The groundsman spends an inordinate length of time on the training pitches. He seems to be working on them every time I go past.

Something has to be done with the main pitch but not sure much can be done in 5/6 weeks.

Should have been RELAID before I get hung drawn and quartered.

They never relaid the pitch they took the top 3 or 4 millimetres off and refurbished it. The company doing the work showed a blow by blow account of how they did it on Twitter. They appear to do the majority of the spfl.clubs. 

https://twitter.com/Allgrassturf?t=7EbYRqiqEOb0hMnv1VHVDg&s=09

Seen a post saying they can cut pitch 3 to 5 times a day :wacko: think someone is pulling your leg. 

Edited by mainstand

5 minutes ago, mainstand said:

They never relaid the pitch they took the top 3 or 4 millimetres off and refurbished it. The company doing the work showed a blow by blow account of how they did it on Twitter. They appear to do the majority of the spfl.clubs. 

What about the stadium pitch . It needs more done to it than the training pitches. Are they actually used much or are they still hiring Stirling Uni ?.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:50 PM, mainstand said:

It is only 100k on the two parks together. Hybrid would cost about 300k to £500k alone. 

I'd be interested to know how much the club might save in the long term if they were to properly invest in a better quality hybrid or artificial surface.

They seem to go through this every year or two with the pitch and it rarely seems to make much of a difference.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, tucker said:

What's actually happening with the pitch is it upgrade to better quality hybrid or just getting reseeded again 

From what their contractor's posted on Twitter, it's just basically maintenance: Micro-trenching to put in a sand grid for better drainage, then new topsoil and seeding.

I don't expect to see any real change next season.

• 1 month later...

I am obviously not a horticulturist but couldn't see how a pitch could be relayed and seeded and playable in 1 month.

Wonder of SPFL will make is play our games elsewhere. Perhaps groundshare with Dundee. They need the money.

6 hours ago, Cagey said:

I am obviously not a horticulturist but couldn't see how a pitch could be relayed and seeded and playable in 1 month.

Wonder of SPFL will make is play our games elsewhere. Perhaps groundshare with Dundee. They need the money.

They did work on other pitches after ours and they are also getting used. We never relayed a pitch from the photos that they showed on twitter all they did was take off top x millimetres and seed over it. 

9 minutes ago, mainstand said:

They did work on other pitches after ours and they are also getting used. We never relayed a pitch from the photos that they showed on twitter all they did was take off top x millimetres and seed over it. 

Topsoil very important and very expensive so if you scrape it off and just reseed no wonder it's not laying down roots.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Topsoil very important and very expensive so if you scrape it off and just reseed no wonder it's not laying down roots.

Just saw pics of the pitch in the east stand side. It looked okay from the main stand side. 

Don't think the actual grass gets taken out though it just gets the earth moved so roots are still in place just going by the turf coy page. 

6 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Just saw pics of the pitch in the east stand side. It looked okay from the main stand side. 

Don't think the actual grass gets taken out though it just gets the earth moved so roots are still in place just going by the turf coy page. 

Last season or the season before they did something to the pitch and dumped the soil between the training pitch and the new bypass. They did the same again this season. Next time you drive past have a look.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Last season or the season before they did something to the pitch and dumped the soil between the training pitch and the new bypass. They did the same again this season. Next time you drive past have a look.

Great so when we go bust I don't have to dig up the pitch?

• 5 months later...