Pitch

Cagey

10 hours ago, double deluxe said:

That’s what I’m trying to say, the plan was to rip it out last summer but due to having the play off against ICT the club lost two weeks which meant the major plans had to be scrapped for more minor ones 

Do you know if they have looked at the long term problem with the pitch and figured out what it is, eg water table issue due to more building around stadium etc? If they/we had a full understanding if the cause of the long term deterioration it could surely be addressed.

just lifting and relaying every few years without addressing underlying issues seems counter productive

Edited by John Bonham

1 hour ago, John Bonham said:

Do you know if they have looked at the long term problem with the pitch and figured out what it is, eg water table issue due to more building around stadium etc? If they/we had a full understanding if the cause of the long term deterioration it could surely be addressed.

just lifting and relaying every few years without addressing underlying issues seems counter productive

That sounds like a work email, quiet this morning is it or have you just posted in the wrong place? Some lawyer somewhere got an email about saints by mistake!

1 hour ago, John Bonham said:

The base underneath is rotten which causes the top layer to essentially be weaker than it should be and that’s why it digs up so easily. The plan last summer was to rip it out entirely but as I’ve said they ended up not having enough time to do it.

15 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

The base underneath is rotten which causes the top layer to essentially be weaker than it should be and that’s why it digs up so easily. The plan last summer was to rip it out entirely but as I’ve said they ended up not having enough time to do it.

Thanks, Hopefully get the chance this summer then as it really needs addressing 

1 hour ago, double deluxe said:

If only a couple of weeks made such a massive difference, did they speak to the SPFL about tweaking the early fixtures to ensure we were away for a couple of games given the size and importance of the work?

Come to think of it, we're talking about the League Cup, which was used as pre-season training instead of one of the tournaments we have a chance of winning, so we could have even used someone elses ground for these ties. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pitch was a disgrace on Sunday. At least the grass cutter/line marker didn't water it at half time.

Hate to think what it would have been like if it didn't have over a months break during the world cup.

Looked like they had sanded it but think they tend to sure a sand based soil. They have removed 2 lots of top soil over the last few seasons. No wonder there isn't a base for strong grass to grow.

They have one game at home between now and end of March but don't hold out much hope that anything will improve.

There is negligence here somewhere. Whether is who organised the contractor , the contractor or our so called groundsman we probably won't find out.

16 hours ago, Cagey said:

Pitch was a disgrace on Sunday. At least the grass cutter/line marker didn't water it at half time.

Hate to think what it would have been like if it didn't have over a months break during the world cup.

Looked like they had sanded it but think they tend to sure a sand based soil. They have removed 2 lots of top soil over the last few seasons. No wonder there isn't a base for strong grass to grow.

They have one game at home between now and end of March but don't hold out much hope that anything will improve.

There is negligence here somewhere. Whether is who organised the contractor , the contractor or our so called groundsman we probably won't find out.

But the removing of the top soil (2mm) is something that all grounds get done at the end of the season, so your theory that that is the issue does not stand up. The base i.e. the roots are a lot further down that the 2 mm that they remove. The contractors have been doing most of the top pitches in the country in addition to the oldfirm and hibs training grounds so are not a load of cowboys. 

I agree there is an issue but maybe there are plans for that to be addressed with a much bigger revamp at the close season, maybe a question you could ask at the open meeting. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

But the removing of the top soil (2mm) is something that all grounds get done at the end of the season, so your theory that that is the issue does not stand up. The base i.e. the roots are a lot further down that the 2 mm that they remove. The contractors have been doing most of the top pitches in the country in addition to the oldfirm and hibs training grounds so are not a load of cowboys. 

I agree there is an issue but maybe there are plans for that to be addressed with a much bigger revamp at the close season, maybe a question you could ask at the open meeting. 

2mm , probably the thickness of an ice-cream waver. Must be very precise equipment to take that off the surface. A lot more high tec than their tractor presumably.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, double deluxe said:

There is no room for manouver here; the pitch has to get sorted properly once and for all. There was a time when McD pitch was the best in Scotland now it's a disgrace.

Pretty sure this topic is going to be raised at the question and answer meeting.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

2mm , probably the thickness of an ice-cream waver. Must be very precise equipment to take that off the surface. A lot more high tec than their tractor presumably.

just going by their twitter account which shows the pitches they are working on and explains a bit about what they are doing. suspect that tractor has gone on the scrapheap

On 2/8/2023 at 6:53 AM, mainstand said:

It was mentioned they planned a bigger refurb last Summer but having to play in the Play-Offs meant they had to scale back to a small attempt at nursing it through another season.

Play-Off home game was 2 weeks after our last scheduled home game, so you could believe thats true.

Hopefully they manage to do something bigger this Summer with it looking like we'll avoid the same situation.

In saying that my dads, used to be a gardener/work on farm, constantly complains the pitch is gwtting drowned with how much it gets watered during games.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

In saying that my dads, used to be a gardener/work on farm, constantly complains the pitch is gwtting drowned with how much it gets watered during games.

I wondeer what he would say if we had a decent sprinkler system because you watch games down south they must put ten times the amount of water that we do on a pitch just before kick off

52 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I wondeer what he would say if we had a decent sprinkler system because you watch games down south they must put ten times the amount of water that we do on a pitch just before kick off

Think hes just saying it because the pitch is ****ed anyway but unsure, ill bring it up again and see 😂

On 2/8/2023 at 9:47 AM, SaintJet said:

There is no room for manouver here; the pitch has to get sorted properly once and for all. There was a time when McD pitch was the best in Scotland now it's a disgrace.

Pretty sure this topic is going to be raised at the question and answer meeting.

I’m afraid all the cash has gone on Ali Crawford and three left backs

17 hours ago, Cagey said:

In an incisive interview with head of operations" is that why Kane Booth and Muzz are taking so long to recover " Gus McPherson thinks the pitch will be ok if it gets a rest in the summer.

He doesn't say anything of the sort. He says there needs to be work done on it and they are already booking their slot. 

18 hours ago, Cagey said:

In an incisive interview with head of operations" is that why Kane Booth and Muzz are taking so long to recover " Gus McPherson thinks the pitch will be ok if it gets a rest in the summer.

In McPhersons defence, I actually thought he spoke quite well. Concerning that no progress has been made on the contracts situation, particularly with Spoony and Kano. All the signs are pointing towards Spoony leaving us. I wish him well if he decides to go to Canada or America, but would be a sore one to take if he ended up at another club in Scotland.

I also note Kano is now represented by infamous agent Clive Hart which is never a good thing.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, Aitchy said:

In McPhersons defence, I actually thought he spoke quite well. Concerning that no progress has been made on the contracts situation, particularly with Spoony and Kano. All the signs are pointing towards Spoony leaving us. I wish him well if he decides to go to Canada or America, but would be a sore one to take if he ended up at another club in Scotland.

I also note Kano is now represented by infamous agent Clive Hart which is never a good thing.

That'll be Kane linked with Ipswich, Sunderland, Barnsley and Tranmere soon then, which'll be news to them too.