St.Johnstone V Ross County - Saturday 20th March

SaintJet

38 minutes ago, weesainty said:

when are the fixtures due to be announced 

Presume Monday, after the Uglies mash off today. Dates for league games are pretty tight, especially with Scottish Cup to resume...

• Round 34 - April 10/11
  • Round 35 - April 20/21
  • Round 36 - May 1/2
  • Round 37 - May 11/12
  • Round 38 - May 15/16

Absolutely amazing achievement and whatever happens from this point on, this season will go down as a big success. I still reckon we can squeeze in another little Cup run, too.

Can't help but feel a slight touch of sadness that as fans we've now missed out on being there for two huge moments. The first was obviously the Cup win. The second would have been that moment on Saturday where news reached a bumper McDiarmid crowd that Hamilton had just scored. That would have been goosebumps stuff.

How is it, after a defeat from the Mighty Saintees, that opposition Managers claim "that's our worst performance of the season"?

Surely it's not a case of Saints puting fear into the opposition before a ball is kicked.

I tend to think that the Saintees have dominated them. :laugh:

Just now, HOODLUM65 said:

How is it, after a defeat from the Mighty Saintees, that opposition Managers claim "that's our worst performance of the season"?

Surely it's not a case of Saints puting fear into the opposition before a ball is kicked.

I tend to think that the Saintees have dominated them. :laugh:

In all fairness, John Hughes was full of praise for Saints on Saturday, both before and after the game.

54 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

In all fairness, John Hughes was full of praise for Saints on Saturday, both before and after the game.

Completley agree,

John Hughes was very magnanamous in his appraisal of the game and our performance. I think him and Brian Rice of Hamilton are good guys and say it like it is.

1 minute ago, SaintJet said:

Completley agree,

John Hughes was very magnanamous in his appraisal of the game and our performance. I think him and Brian Rice of Hamilton are good guys and say it like it is.

True but it's annoying when managers that get beat from Saints invariably come out with 'its the worst we have played this season or the pitch contributed to us playing badly.

All seasons the pundits have predicted defeats for Saints.

They fail to take into account we are the second most successful team over the last 10 seasons.

Over the time that Saints have been a professional football club & take all that into account plus the amount of finals & semifinals our club have been in we must be above many of the so called big clubs.

I thought the game was about to be the story of our season: good performance, lots of pressure, but missing the finishing touch sometimes. Middleton made the difference, whether he could perform like that for 90 mins, I'm not sure. The defence has been great though, and everything is built on that.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Completley agree,

I also heard John Hughes being very complimentary of Saints on a podcast recently - he mentioned applying for the job here after Tommy left, and that he was impressed with how the club treated him.

He wouldn't ever be my choice for manager here but I do think he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I also heard John Hughes being very complimentary of Saints on a podcast recently - he mentioned applying for the job here after Tommy left, and that he was impressed with how the club treated him.

He wouldn't ever be my choice for manager here but I do think he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy.

Yikes. Bullet well and truly dodged!

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Having met Yogi a few times when he lived near me I would say you have summed him up perfectly.  McDiarmid Park is not a happy hunting ground for him, he lost his Hibs job after a poor display against us about 10 years ago.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:30 AM, SaintJet said:

Completley agree,

2 guys I would not like to see Managing St. Johnstone F.C.

Prefer winning Managers.:laugh:

15 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

When the next round of "Manager-sackathons" comes around, be interesting where Del goes. He'd be good at another Premier club. 

Hypothetically if Callum left, he'd be definitely in the mix for another stint at Saints. But that's thankfully only hypothetical.

He's being touted for the Preston job at the moment. I wonder if he'll fancy another crack at English football.

I'd absolutely take Del back at Saints in a hypothetical situation where we needed a manager and he was available.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

He's being touted for the Preston job at the moment. I wonder if he'll fancy another crack at English football.

I'd absolutely take Del back at Saints in a hypothetical situation where we needed a manager and he was available.

Didn’t we score 23 goals one season under DM?

1 hour ago, andrew said:

Didn’t we score 23 goals one season under DM?

Yep - season 2010/11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Scottish_Premier_League

Actually pretty impressive that despite only scoring 23 goals we still finished 8th and were comfortably above the danger zone. The following summer Del fixed the problem by bringing in Fran Sandaza and Cillian Sheridan.

We had a few pretty bad goal droughts under Tommy too. In 2014/15 we only scored 34 goals - but finished 4th, with a goal difference of zero. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Scottish_Premiership

On 3/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, blueheaven said:

Yep - season 2010/11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Scottish_Premier_League

Actually pretty impressive that despite only scoring 23 goals we still finished 8th and were comfortably above the danger zone. The following summer Del fixed the problem by bringing in Fran Sandaza and Cillian Sheridan.

We had a few pretty bad goal droughts under Tommy too. In 2014/15 we only scored 34 goals - but finished 4th, with a goal difference of zero. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Scottish_Premiership

In amongst our incredible success we've been tough to watch at times. It's part of what made us so successful and its isn't a complaint. Some of Tommy's matches were dire. That 14/15 GD of 0 was unusual, we're normally minus.