The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson believes his side will benefit from not having European football in the coming season after a difficult domestic campaign last term that followed European qualifiers. (Courier - subscription required)

If CD is giving interviews while on holiday he can surely get involved in transfers

14 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Lawler conceeded 14 goals in 7 appearances. Just exactly what we need.

Mind you slightly better than Parish ,17 in 7.

Lawler has to be 1st choice goalie :laugh:.

I reckon both keepers should be lined up with a soft serve ice cream and the first one that gets it into their mouth instead of hitting themselves in the head gets the nod haha 

47 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson believes his side will benefit from not having European football in the coming season after a difficult domestic campaign last term that followed European qualifiers. (Courier - subscription required)

If CD is giving interviews while on holiday he can surely get involved in transfers

Why on Earth would you assume he isn’t involved in transfers is probably the more pressing question here. 

18 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Why on Earth would you assume he isn’t involved in transfers is probably the more pressing question here. 

My post should not be taken in isolation. Earlier I stated my opinion on CD's holiday and involvement in the transfer market. Again earlier in  the tread it was suggested by many that before he went on his 3 week holiday he would have identified players he wanted and leave it to the powers at be. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Thought this was a pathetic excuse when people said this last season, even more baffling when the manager comes out with it now. We played four games - the first of which was after the league season had started, so it was hardly like other years in which pre-season would start in the middle of June. We’d been knocked out by the end of August so how Europe can possibly be to blame for the 34 league games that followed from September to May, who knows…

2 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

My post should not be taken in isolation. Earlier I stated my opinion on CD's holiday and involvement in the transfer market. Again earlier in  the tread it was suggested by many that before he went on his 3 week holiday he would have identified players he wanted and leave it to the powers at be. 

I don’t think you CAN take time off in this job. 

Different story 25 years ago but I’m sure he’s got an iPhone, is probably spending  the day with family and dealing with any pressing issues as and when they arise. 

i’m sure there will be new unexpected players made available, targets missed etc and that will need to be responded to as and when.

I’m certain the majority of wheeling and dealing is probably carried out between agents and managers via WhatsApp or to clubs via email nowadays anyway. 

That’s how I run my business and how I manage to do so from the South of France for the entire school holidays with my kids in the summer. 

3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’m certain the majority of wheeling and dealing is probably carried out between agents and managers via WhatsApp or to clubs via email nowadays anyway.

You are correct when I went on holiday it was push button A or B

On 6/5/2022 at 8:44 AM, Linky said:

Davidson says we can’t compete with other clubs over McCart and Hendry, so looks like we’ve lost them.

Is there any sign of anyone wanting to sign Zander ,McCart or Hendry. I hope they are not holding off signing in the hope that someone will come in for them.

I think they should be given a short timescale to re sign. Otherwise draw a line under it and sign replacements.

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is there any sign of anyone wanting to sign Zander ,McCart or Hendry. I hope they are not holding off signing in the hope that someone will come in for them.

I think they should be given a short timescale to re sign. Otherwise draw a line under it and sign replacements.

It's still early days in many ways but the longer it goes on it maybe more in our favour. I'd still expect them to be leaving though.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

If only we had that luxury, we definitely would!

Alas, we don’t!!

22 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Players are also on holiday. 

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson wants four or five signings capable of going straight into the first team. (Courier - subscription required)

I hope they would be starters capable does not fill me with hope as to me it means may be yes may be no

Meanwhile, Saints midfielder David Wotherspoon is unlikely to make his comeback from injury until September or October. (Courier - subscription required)

Fell for Spooney in world cup year

18 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson wants four or five signings capable of going straight into the first team. (Courier - subscription required)

If we assume Clark, McCart and Hendry are all going to leave and that Davidson isn't going to change his system, I reckon we need at least five signings who can go straight into the first team: goalkeeper, CB, RWB, central midfielder and a forward. That's basically the spine of a new team. Huge task.

28 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If we assume Clark, McCart and Hendry are all going to leave and that Davidson isn't going to change his system, I reckon we need at least five signings who can go straight into the first team: goalkeeper, CB, RWB, central midfielder and a forward. That's basically the spine of a new team. Huge task.

... and we might need to add in a LWB too as it looks like Booth and Gallacher are both going to be out injured for a while. 

27 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Pretty sure Tommy used to say the same each year. 

Remember the "jewels"? 

Time will tell. Especially after all the rubbish he brought in last season. 

He did.

Pretty much every manager says they hope to add quality each season. Davidson is hardly going to come out saying he hopes to add a couple of loan signings and a few average squad players.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I would've thought our centre backs would be Cleary, Gordon, Mahon. So, I'd suggest we only need a back up in that position (Brown could also play there at a push). I wouldn't be averse to signing Lars Dendonker full-time. He wasn't first team material, but is only 21 and showed some promise. Also, I think having a player contracted to a club with a clear path to potential first-team football in a few years tend to give them a better focus.

24 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

A lazy signing. 

You want good competition for the number one jersey which ain’t happening now. But he’s a nice guy…

Give it a  rest! They are looking at signing a new first choice keeper he is a back up maybe second or even third choice.  

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

We also need natural wing backs or is he going to have MOH (winger) and Brown (defensive full back) as right wing back to make his system work.

He needs to get a system to fit his players and not be stuborn trying to get the players to fitb his one and only system

Are we just unfortunate  to lose McCann, Kerr, Rooney, Clark and McCart and not have a manager capable of replacing them