Pre season friendlies.

Cagey

3 minutes ago, john.w said:

My fellow Canadian top scorer so far I preseason:D

Just friendlies but seems to be able to find the net. Someone at the game will be able to tell us how he's shaping up as a lot of hopes pinned on him.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Just friendlies but seems to be able to find the net. Someone at the game will be able to tell us how he's shaping up as a lot of hopes pinned on him.

Looks to be a handful. Will bully a number of centre halves this season, if given the opportunity. Also took up a good positions in the box when the ball was out wide a number of times today - something we’ve been lacking a bit 

Quite entertaining in spells for a friendly.

Our defence is, how to put this politely....a work in progress. Thought of the back three Cleary was the main 'bomb scare' but may be that is because he's the one asked to bring the ball out of the defence more often.

Montgomery was decent in a attacking sense with a decent cut back to Bair for the second. Max looked very composed and very lively. I suspect we will have to make sure he doesn't get isolated on the ball and always give him a option due to his small stature....but thought he was the best in the first half and early second.

Bair looks like he knows where to go to get chances and perhaps should have had more than the one he did take. My 'worry' with him is that in games where we are under pressure will we just hoof the ball up to him. He did win a few balls in the air quite easily...but these defenders aren't world beaters.

Interested to see the young lad who came on and hit the bar again...he looked like he might have something going forward.

Good free kick from Hallberg, but I thought the keeper could have done better. Parish....don't think he could have done much with their two goals... but he doesn't give any confidence to those in front of him.

57 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Quite entertaining in spells for a friendly.

Our defence is, how to put this politely....a work in progress. Thought of the back three Cleary was the main 'bomb scare' but may be that is because he's the one asked to bring the ball out of the defence more often.

Montgomery was decent in a attacking sense with a decent cut back to Bair for the second. Max looked very composed and very lively. I suspect we will have to make sure he doesn't get isolated on the ball and always give him a option due to his small stature....but thought he was the best in the first half and early second.

Bair looks like he knows where to go to get chances and perhaps should have had more than the one he did take. My 'worry' with him is that in games where we are under pressure will we just hoof the ball up to him. He did win a few balls in the air quite easily...but these defenders aren't world beaters.

Interested to see the young lad who came on and hit the bar again...he looked like he might have something going forward.

Good free kick from Hallberg, but I thought the keeper could have done better. Parish....don't think he could have done much with their two goals... but he doesn't give any confidence to those in front of him.

Spencer Taylor I think. he's only about 17

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Parish in goal. No Bair. Does Davidson have a death wish.

I really don't understand this post. Why would you not expect Parish to be in goal, and why would you expect Bair to start?

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Anything learned do we think?

I think I learned that the manager has come up with no real plan to significantly change the way we play. For me, most of last season's issues were still present. We lack a ball-playing central midfielder. We lack movement off the ball. We're slow to attack and it allows the opposition to put men behind the ball whenever we try to get forward. And, as predicted, we're wasting Hallberg by playing him in a deep midfield role instead of allowing him to attack. I also thought it was really bizarre to play Gilmour out of position instead of giving him a chance to show what he can do in his natural role.

On the plus side I felt our midfield looked more positive and dynamic when MacPherson replaced Davidson. Max showed some really nice touches and tried to do a few different things (will the manager stand for that if he does it against Rangers??) but - as you'd expect - still a bit raw and possibly a little lacking in final product. Carey looked up for it when he came on. And great to see Bair get a goal (although I still think he doesn't do enough when he's on the pitch - if we're going to play one centre-forward, then that centre-forward needs to get seriously involved and make things happen for himself). 

On balance I'm pretty worried about what lies ahead and just don't think we've brought in enough quality or strengthened in the right areas.

A decent game. Cove should be comfortable in the Championship this season but don't know if they have strength in depth as didn't see to many dubs today.

Thought Max was our best player by a mile. Carey and Murphy looked like they should be decent additions to the team. Montgomery looked ok going forward but I worry about the left side of our defence with him and,Consadine.

Hope that starting line up is not Davidson's preferred line up.

6 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Realise it's only a friendly, but Max stood out from the rest and have high hopes for him this Season. 

1st time I've seen him in Saints colours, but looks he'll be wishing  to start.

Get him on a 5 year contract. Great vision and not afraid to put himself about.

Max was the best player - still possibly a bit lightweight but looks hungry and willing to try stuff. I thought we generally played some good stuff - ball was on the deck a lot more and there seemed to be more mobility in the team. Montgomery did fine although was caught out of position a couple of times and Bair looks like he will get plenty of chances - nice turn of pace from him as well

Defensively Considine seemed to be a weak spot - Liam Gordon was sitting in the stand and both legs/feet looked fine so hopefully was only being rested. Parrish made a couple of good saves and could do little at the goals (Cove's 2nd was a good finish) but still flapped a bit at crosses. Surprised that Ross wasn't given at least 45 to get some game time. 

Hard to read too much into the trialist (Sandford?) - didn't do anything wrong though.