Thoughts on Season Ahead?

Radford 72

Really brings into perspective just how well Saints did in our European ties last season. We didn't spend a fraction of the money United have this summer, and we were drawn against arguably better teams, yet we held our own against both Galatasaray and LASK, came away from both places undefeated and were still very much in both ties until the second halves of the second legs.

Callum Davidson might have got a lot of things wrong since then but I reckon his gameplan for our European games was streets ahead of Jack Ross's approach to last night.

59 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Really brings into perspective just how well Saints did in our European ties last season. We didn't spend a fraction of the money United have this summer, and we were drawn against arguably better teams, yet we held our own against both Galatasaray and LASK, came away from both places undefeated and were still very much in both ties until the second halves of the second legs.

Callum Davidson might have got a lot of things wrong since then but I reckon his gameplan for our European games was streets ahead of Jack Ross's approach to last night.

Imagine what Monaco would of done to Dundee United over two legs?

The Dundee score is bad for Scottish football, another embarrassing result after Motherwell.

However, both could be good for us. It's going to take a while for the Utd team to get over a loss like that, and I could see it affecting a large part of the season. Motherwell haven't made a good appointment either. You promote from within when things have been going well and you want continuity, not when you need a complete change. I can see Motherwell struggling. I think St. Mirren will also be poor. I could see us finishing 10th with Ross County and perhaps. Dundee Utd just above us

6 hours ago, Linky said:

The Dundee score is bad for Scottish football, another embarrassing result after Motherwell.

However, both could be good for us. It's going to take a while for the Utd team to get over a loss like that, and I could see it affecting a large part of the season. Motherwell haven't made a good appointment either. You promote from within when things have been going well and you want continuity, not when you need a complete change. I can see Motherwell struggling. I think St. Mirren will also be poor. I could see us finishing 10th with Ross County and perhaps. Dundee Utd just above us

I could foresee that Linky. Livingston will be fine, County maybe also. However, the prospect of weekly slugfests and anti football from us and our rivals fills me with apprehension. What happened to anticipation when attending a match? It’s been destroyed by a succession of managerial cowards across the clubs, ours included.

22 hours ago, andrew said:

I could foresee that Linky. Livingston will be fine, County maybe also. However, the prospect of weekly slugfests and anti football from us and our rivals fills me with apprehension. What happened to anticipation when attending a match? It’s been destroyed by a succession of managerial cowards across the clubs, ours included.

I agree - I've been one of the biggest critics of Davidson. But against Motherwell I saw a glimmer of hope, a hint of what we used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

I thought he had already left .

I wonder why Flaherty felt the need to say ," there is great unity at St Johnstone".

Probably what the PR guy wrote.

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

In case Grieve and Boyd say what a complete nightmare Davidson is?

feel like the chairman's a more likely candidate.

37 minutes ago, Linky said:

Anyone who doesn’t agree with Davidson to the letter gets turfed out. This is how much the Chairman backs him.

Then we are in big,big trouble. I've always thought that the double buys him a relegation and only a failing promotion attempt would be the end of him. 

2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Then we are in big,big trouble. I've always thought that the double buys him a relegation and only a failing promotion attempt would be the end of him. 

Yup, he’ll be given until halfway through next season whatever happens I think

24 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Plenty of stories coming out now that folk have been emailing the club with their concerns and Ian Flaherty has personally been getting in touch with people. 

Where about are they? I was considering getting pen and paper out - wasn't aware the club did emails :D

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/231060-double-winning-st-johnstone-fc-thread/&do=findComment&comment=15416212

20 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Where about are they? I was considering getting pen and paper out - wasn't aware the club did emails :D

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/231060-double-winning-st-johnstone-fc-thread/&do=findComment&comment=15416212

Yeah there's a few mentioned on that thread but also a few popping up on Twitter as well.

Saints have been rubbish plenty of times over the years, not saying we should just accept it but I don't think defensively we've looked too bad but the lack of goal scoring threat is obvious to everyone.

This is definitely not new either. It's been like that for about 7 seasons. Striker is notoriously the hardest position to fill at this level on a budget and it feels like we need 2. How we find even one 10+ goals a season striker beats me. Sadly Im not sure if we will find anyone and that's quite a depressing prospect. Goals win games otherwise we will lose or scrape a draw every week. Even if other teams are not much better we will lose by single goals.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

This is definitely not new either. It's been like that for about 7 seasons. Striker is notoriously the hardest position to fill at this level on a budget and it feels like we need 2. How we find even one 10+ goals a season striker beats me. Sadly Im not sure if we will find anyone and that's quite a depressing prospect. Goals win games otherwise we will lose or scrape a draw every week. Even if other teams are not much better we will lose by single goals.

A 10+ goal striker coming in to the present system of playing would probably no longer be a 10+ goal striker unfortunately.