New poll: The Manager

blueheaven

Should Callum Davidson be replaced?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The board will only sack him if we're regularly losing games 3-0 or 4-0. The Chairman feels like he has a good working relationship with Davidson, and would only pull the trigger if things got really desperate (or perhaps not even then). I suspect he's got until at least November. Even then, I could see us waiting until the end of the season as there will be some sort of relegation release clause.

25 minutes ago, Linky said:

The board will only sack him if we're regularly losing games 3-0 or 4-0. The Chairman feels like he has a good working relationship with Davidson, and would only pull the trigger if things got really desperate (or perhaps not even then). I suspect he's got until at least November. Even then, I could see us waiting until the end of the season as there will be some sort of relegation release clause.

How do you know all this? 

Not arguing with you but curious how you know how Broon feels about things.

7 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

How do you know all this? 

Not arguing with you but curious how you know how Broon feels about things.

Sorry, reading the post back it sounds like a I know this for definite, which isn't the case. I have heard some information about their working relationship being very positive and the rest is conjecture from that information.

To rephrase: I've heard that Brown's working relationship with Davidson is very positive, very unlike what it was with Tommy. My feeling is that he will therefore back him for as long as he possibly can (this has been seen with transfer funds, squad size, etc. already).

I also think that he is financially cautious, and so that will increase the likelihood of him wanting to wait before making any decision (even if it means waiting until the end of the season).

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Sorry, reading the post back it sounds like a I know this for definite, which isn't the case. I have heard some information about their working relationship being very positive and the rest is conjecture from that information.

To rephrase: I've heard that Brown's working relationship with Davidson is very positive, very unlike what it was with Tommy. My feeling is that he will therefore back him for as long as he possibly can (this has been seen with transfer funds, squad size, etc. already).

I also think that he is financially cautious, and so that will increase the likelihood of him wanting to wait before making any decision (even if it means waiting until the end of the season).

Brown used to be financially cautious. For some reason he has allowed Davidson to spunk thousands on signings and wages.

A squad of 30 odd with many not getting a game.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, Cagey said:

Brown used to be financially cautious. For some reason he has allowed Davidson to spunk thousands on signings and wages.

A squad of 30 odd with many not getting a game.

If I was financially cautious Id be spunking a ton of money to try and stay in the premiership. The loss/cost of relegation would give accountants some very sleepless nights.

45 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Davidson says" people say I need new strikers but I thought the two boys were excellent". ! ! !.

No new striker or probably CM either I would imagine. Great what one result can do.

I read it as talking up May and Bair - they need their confidence boosted. We know he's looking for a new striker and Phillips might be on the way in as well.

38 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

I read it as talking up May and Bair - they need their confidence boosted. We know he's looking for a new striker and Phillips might be on the way in as well.

Yeah but all he needed to say was Bair and May had good games. No need for people say.

• 2 weeks later...

Another 2 joined yes list. 135 members voted. Didn't think we had so many members as only about 10 post.

Davidson will not be gone this side of the world cup as Brown has no backbone or interest in the club anymore . He and Roddy weren't even at the first home game of the season.

The club is sleepwalking back into the championship or worse. Geoff says it's nothing to do with him anymore so it looks like he has given up on it as well.

47 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Another 2 joined yes list. 135 members voted. Didn't think we had so many members as only about 10 post.

Davidson will not be gone this side of the world cup as Brown has no backbone or interest in the club anymore . He and Roddy weren't even at the first home game of the season.

The club is sleepwalking back into the championship or worse. Geoff says it's nothing to do with him anymore so it looks like he has given up on it as well.

Surely Geoff can talk to his son and give him some friendly advice whether it’s welcomed or not.

The years and years of hard work and the sound business plan that he stuck to is falling apart

On 8/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, That_Dave said:

I think giving him 4 games this season to prove himself is the least he deserves. Two cup victories and a top half finish in two seasons isn't a bad return. He's earned the chance to see which of his two seasons this one will be most like. Lets' not forgot the Cup winning seasons started with 4 points from 5 games, including a 1-0 home defeat to Hibs.

There are things he's hopefully learnt from Saturday. Motherwell away is next, a club who are in crisis a little and our system on Saturday lent itself more to away games. Then it's Rangers away, were we need to see more fight than we did against the Old Firm last season. Then it's Aberdeen at home: an improved performance, and deserved win, in that game will relieve the pressure a lot.

If in 4 games time we've had 4 defeats and no good performances that's one thing. If we've had 4 points from those games, with a tough fixture out the way, it's something we can build on. It's totally illogical to sack him now, and not find out if we're moving in the right direction. 1 SPL game and a few matches with no-SPL sides isn't enough to give us an idea of how the league will pan out this season. The next 3 games will give a lot more evidence. 

From here on, 1 point from the next two and then a victory against Aberdeen is a decent enough start. I suspect a draw against Motherwell and narrow defeat to Rangers will be taken as further evidence he has to go, but in the bigger picture it might be more evidence that he's turning things around. It's not until after the Aberdeen game that we can really judge how things are going.

I'm a little curious to hear what you think now that these four games are out of the way. Have those four games really taught us anything we didn't know after the Hibs game?

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm a little curious to hear what you think now that these four games are out of the way. Have those four games really taught us anything we didn't know after the Hibs game?

Four games in I'd say I am where I was at the start of the season - give him until the World Cup break and see how it is then.

I thought the Hibs and Aberdeen games were totally different. The biggest similarity, result aside, was conceding after moaning about a free kick. That's happen so much this season and last and needs stamping out. To be fair the free kick was unstoppable, but every time I see the players moaning about a free kick I expect the same result. Resilience is the big issue the team lacks - I do hope the Motherwell game gave them more.

Unlike the Hibs game we defended well. The back 5 all did well defensively and the keeper looked strong. I wasn't worried about conceding on every attack, which I did against Hibs. Unlike Hibs we did get players into the box; not as many as I would have liked and there were times where Bair was isolated still, but we weren't seeing the issue of the front 3 getting no support or options. Unlike Hibs I thought the midfield was excellent - Phillips looks a great player and when he settles in more I can see a good partnership with Hallberg emerging. Unlike Hibs the players had a bit of fight about them, like they did at Rangers. And unlike Hibs I did think we provided a genuine goal threat at times - Murphy caused a lot of problems and Carey upset the full back a lot whereas against Hibs the wingers posed little trouble.

There are still some issues there. I think the tactics will do well away from home and we'll get lots of points on the road, but are they really the best way to set up at home? Bair is still showing potential, but needs to get a goal or two to gain confidence - how long can we give him on that? A big problem last season was the lack of goals from midfield (and defence) and I'm not seeing how those issues are being addressed. There was also an issue on Saturday where Brown was attacking down the left, Murphy wasn't in position and we seemed to have no idea what to do, despite Aberdeen being stretched. It wasn't just Brown as the ball inside then broke up from the lack of an option, which suggests we were a little one-dimensional rather than looking to switch the play around. That feels like a confidence issue in terms of showing imagination and trying to stick too strongly to the game plan.

All of those things can be worked on. But it felt a little more like there are good building blocks in place now, unlike against Hibs and the Cup games. I think there's a lot more points available from now until November by sticking rather than twisting. I'm also more confident now there will be other teams hanging around the bottom until November - I can't see Dundee United, Motherwell or Kilmarnock being remotely out of reach by then, and don't think we'll see 10 teams fighting for the last European place like it effectively was last season.

2 hours ago, That_Dave said:

Four games in I'd say I am where I was at the start of the season - give him until the World Cup break and see how it is then.

I thought the Hibs and Aberdeen games were totally different. The biggest similarity, result aside, was conceding after moaning about a free kick. That's happen so much this season and last and needs stamping out. To be fair the free kick was unstoppable, but every time I see the players moaning about a free kick I expect the same result. Resilience is the big issue the team lacks - I do hope the Motherwell game gave them more.

Unlike the Hibs game we defended well. The back 5 all did well defensively and the keeper looked strong. I wasn't worried about conceding on every attack, which I did against Hibs. Unlike Hibs we did get players into the box; not as many as I would have liked and there were times where Bair was isolated still, but we weren't seeing the issue of the front 3 getting no support or options. Unlike Hibs I thought the midfield was excellent - Phillips looks a great player and when he settles in more I can see a good partnership with Hallberg emerging. Unlike Hibs the players had a bit of fight about them, like they did at Rangers. And unlike Hibs I did think we provided a genuine goal threat at times - Murphy caused a lot of problems and Carey upset the full back a lot whereas against Hibs the wingers posed little trouble.

There are still some issues there. I think the tactics will do well away from home and we'll get lots of points on the road, but are they really the best way to set up at home? Bair is still showing potential, but needs to get a goal or two to gain confidence - how long can we give him on that? A big problem last season was the lack of goals from midfield (and defence) and I'm not seeing how those issues are being addressed. There was also an issue on Saturday where Brown was attacking down the left, Murphy wasn't in position and we seemed to have no idea what to do, despite Aberdeen being stretched. It wasn't just Brown as the ball inside then broke up from the lack of an option, which suggests we were a little one-dimensional rather than looking to switch the play around. That feels like a confidence issue in terms of showing imagination and trying to stick too strongly to the game plan.

All of those things can be worked on. But it felt a little more like there are good building blocks in place now, unlike against Hibs and the Cup games. I think there's a lot more points available from now until November by sticking rather than twisting. I'm also more confident now there will be other teams hanging around the bottom until November - I can't see Dundee United, Motherwell or Kilmarnock being remotely out of reach by then, and don't think we'll see 10 teams fighting for the last European place like it effectively was last season.

All due respect but you must be watching a different team to the one I saw on Saturday. I took absolutely no positives from the encounter and have wasted too much time and money travelling up and down the A9 from Inverness to watch this dross. I’m out until CD and Macca are gone!

After 6 games some pundits and fans are expecting the Dundee United to get the bullet.

We have had to put up with absolute shite for 14 months but not a mention of Davidson's jacket being on a shoogily peg.

Mind you we are just a wee Micky mouse team that no one is interested in.