New poll: The Manager

blueheaven

Should Callum Davidson be replaced?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, Cagey said:

Martindale got manager of the month as the only defeat they had in the last 6 games was from Celtic.. The only defeat we have had in last six games was also from Celtic, unluckily and we also beat Rangers.

Davidson was robbed.

Technically, when you look at points, in the month of November he had the better record:

A draw with Hearts and victory over Aberdeen and Killie. 7 points

We drew with Motherwell and St Mirren and beat Rangers. 5points

20 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Technically, when you look at points, in the month of November he had the better record:

A draw with Hearts and victory over Aberdeen and Killie. 7 points

We drew with Motherwell and St Mirren and beat Rangers. 5points

Article says last 6 games though.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Cagey said:

Article says last 6 games though.

The article made it confusing but I assume they do monthly awards based on the games in that calendar month.

If you look at the last five Davidson has the better record but over six games it is the same (3 wins, 2 draws and one defeat - which is Livi beating Saints.) 

• 3 weeks later...

I’d imagine the results of this poll would look very different now… Amazing what a run of form can do.

I was very much a yes before, there were very little shoots of improvement despite an upturn in form post Christmas last year which was mainly down to a striker in an unsustainable hot streak. The start to this season was more of the same, no identity, no real sense of a plan other than sit back and hope the defence managed to defend the box well enough and possibly sneak one on the break. 

But you need to give credit where it is due, the signings we made in the summer certainly didn’t inspire me, but most of them have far exceeded my expectations (Clark, Mitchell, McGowan, Considine, Montgomery), giving May a partner up top has worked miracles on him and we actually look like we want to win games again and have an element of control in the majority of games these days. Couple that with a ‘Tommy Wright’ style attitude and there’s real positivity about us again. 

Is anyone still Callum out? 

Edited by Ali91

Delighted to be proven wrong, so far.

Still have that niggly feeling that a terrible run is just around the corner.

5 more wins and I will be writing a letter of apology to Callum.

Great signings!!

Be very interesting to see what happens this January. Love to see a couple of quality pre-contracts lined up for the summer and 3 or 4 bodies allowed to move on.

Not just results, I think so many teams are so closely matched that almost any team with a hint of momentum can go on a bit of a run. However, the quality of football compared to last season is like night and day, a lot due to the new signings, which I had zero faith in when they were made.

14 points from 18, preceded by a really unlucky loss to celtic doesnt feel like a fortunate blip (like the post Christmas upturn did last season).  We are one or two results away from looking like genuine European place contenders.

Well done to Callum, I was wrong.  Delighted.

18 hours ago, Ali91 said:

Is anyone still Callum out? 

I can't imagine anyone would advocate sacking a manager off the back of the current run of form and league position. After the summer we had and the horrific League Cup campaign I firmly expected us to be bottom of the league by the time of the World Cup break, so it's absolutely fantastic to see us building up a run of results and looking like serious contenders for a top six finish.

However I'd have to say my overall opinion of the bigger picture and longer-term situation hasn't particularly changed.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I can't imagine anyone would advocate sacking a manager off the back of the current run of form and league position. After the summer we had and the horrific League Cup campaign I firmly expected us to be bottom of the league by the time of the World Cup break, so it's absolutely fantastic to see us building up a run of results and looking like serious contenders for a top six finish.

However I'd have to say my overall opinion of the bigger picture and longer-term situation hasn't particularly changed.

Got tae agree wae you BH.

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Thanks for linking to it so we don't all have the hassle of having to go off and search for it. :mellow:

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/231060-double-winning-st-johnstone-fc-thread/page/2374/#comment-15601642

No idea if that link will work but there’s a few good ones of page 2374

Edited by PSJ.84

Like others, I am delighted that he has turned things around. The team has much more character about it this season and offer much more attacking threat.

Nicky Clark has been pivotal to our revival and I have concerns that if he were to be out for any length of time, then we may revert to some of the turgid football that we experienced last season and in the early part of this season. His ability to hold the ball up, pull defenders out of place to make room for May have been vital in allowing us to pose more of an attacking threat.