Open Meeting 13/2/23

rik2304

20 hours ago, Aitchy said:

What sanctimonious pish.

What were you expecting people to do? Forums like this and social media are easy and free ways for people to express their opinions on all things St Johnstone related. Many supporters dont live in Perth and find these outlets useful as a means of communicating with other fans and expressing their views.

Its a decent move by the club, but I note that they have "handpicked" the supporters steering group representatives again. Hopefully they have selected a wide range of supporters and not just those that will nod in agreement with everything the clubs says. 

Where does it say that the steering group reps have been handpicked? I just read this as being a meeting to kick things off but the intention is that it will be fan-led rather than club-led. I might be wrong, but I would want fans to go to this with an open mind to work with the club to sort the 'representation' issue (noting of course, the recent history of several failed attempts...), rather than assuming the club are 'at it' again.

And of course the internet is wonderful for enabling fans to communicate with each other but given the anonymity-fuelled abuse that proliferates (particularly against named members of staff) you can see why the football club look elsewhere for reasoned dialogue with fans. 

2 hours ago, Dooj said:

Where does it say that the steering group reps have been handpicked? I just read this as being a meeting to kick things off but the intention is that it will be fan-led rather than club-led. I might be wrong, but I would want fans to go to this with an open mind to work with the club to sort the 'representation' issue (noting of course, the recent history of several failed attempts...), rather than assuming the club are 'at it' again.

And of course the internet is wonderful for enabling fans to communicate with each other but given the anonymity-fuelled abuse that proliferates (particularly against named members of staff) you can see why the football club look elsewhere for reasoned dialogue with fans. 

Some people on social media have said that they have been asked to be on the “steering group”. I wish them well, but like @Radford 72 said, I would also prefer it if it was just an open meeting.

I agree that some fans online have crossed a line in the past 18 months with the vitriol they have directed towards Callum Davidson, but these fans have been very much in the minority. They majority of fans have expressed their concerns in a constructive and articulate manner and I would argue the patience our support has shown in general over the past 18 months has been commendable. Barring the Kelty game and perhaps the Livi game at home (both understandable), our support has really got behind the team during some dark times this season and last. 

Edited by Aitchy

8 hours ago, dave mc said:

I spoke to Flaherty in the  muirton suite before the Rangers cup tie,and told him,we’d made a pigs ear of it! He accepted my point of view ,and said he didn’t disagree,so if I manage to go to this,I’ll be quite happy to get points of view over 

That's fair criticism that deserves put to the club's decision makers properly and in person when the chance arose. I take it you didn't start slagging his looks, height, way of speaking, appearance etc though.

I believe we have paid PR and social media guys. Given the importance of this meeting, recognised by the club given their response to bringing it forward, there is no excuse for it not being broadcast. It's very easy to do. The setting up of any fans 'steering groups' should be initiated at this event, not predetermined before it. 

20 hours ago, Dooj said:

I think it could just as easily be said that a lot of the recent fan anger and frustration stems from the club's actions, rather than it being the other way around.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I have to say I haven't seen much abuse aimed at Saints staff online. I've seen a lot of anger and criticism but not much that I would classify as abuse. Sadly there will always be a small number of football fans who are abusive, but that's not something restricted to online behaviour, as anyone who regularly sits among football crowds at matches will know.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, Sergei said:

No it's not. Criticism is healthy when deserved and good discussion but you obviously haven't read the likes of Pie & Bovril where the personal abuse and insults Callum gets is an utter disgrace. Flaherty's not as bad yet but give it time. Will any of them go to the meeting and say to their targets faces what they say online? Like hell they will. 

The personal element of the abuse is not great, and fans can't really be involved in the way they'd like to be with running a club.

Remember, the best you can get 10,000 inside the ground to do in a co-ordinated manner is either a Mexican wave or hold up some tifo, so running the club en masse might be a tricky one !

17 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

The personal element of the abuse is not great, and fans can't really be involved in the way they'd like to be with running a club.

Remember, the best you can get 10,000 inside the ground to do in a co-ordinated manner is either a Mexican wave or hold up some tifo, so running the club en masse might be a tricky one !

It works very well at numerous other clubs in numerous other countries.

According to Wikipedia (so who knows if its true or not), Saints is already 'minority' fan owned:

The St Johnstone Supporters' Club held a 0.48% shareholding, as of September 2020.

Interesting that even though Geoff wants to essentially give the club away, he has chosen to (hopefully) sell the club then donate the profits, rather than just place the club in the hands of a trust or whatever. Benign dictatorship the better model of how to run a football club, compared to fan-led democracy?

4 minutes ago, Dooj said:

According to Wikipedia (so who knows if its true or not), Saints is already 'minority' fan owned:

The St Johnstone Supporters' Club held a 0.48% shareholding, as of September 2020.

Interesting that even though Geoff wants to essentially give the club away, he has chosen to (hopefully) sell the club then donate the profits, rather than just place the club in the hands of a trust or whatever. Benign dictatorship the better model of how to run a football club, compared to fan-led democracy?

Is that not because there would be money generated by a sale where as just giving the club over wouldn't generate any additional money?

25 minutes ago, Dooj said:

I seem to remember Geoff saying in previous years that he's not in favour of the fan ownership model. I do wonder though what happens in the hypothetical situation where the years start to pass by and he hasn't been able to sell the club. Was the public commitment to selling the club and handing the money over to the community trust perhaps a little premature?

Believe Hearts, St Mirren and Motherwell are the three fan-owned clubs in the Scottish Premiership, and there are a bunch at various lower levels. People can make up their own minds about how well or badly those clubs are doing, but also worth bearing in mind that there are plenty of examples of traditional ownership being absolutely disastrous for various clubs. There's no ownership model that's guaranteed to go either well or badly.

I'm not particularly pro or anti fan ownership but do think it's something worth properly investigating for Saints. At the very least I think it would be worthwhile building towards a situation where the fans have a representative in the boardroom.