Open Meeting 13/2/23

rik2304

I'm loathe to criticise this initiative, as we have all been calling for more transparency from the club and better communication with us as the support, but the cynic in me views this as being something that Flaherty has quickly come up with on the back of the cup game fiasco to try and appease the support. 

It feels like a box ticking exercise and history has shown that these groups usually have a short shelf life before quickly being forgotten about. Some of the stuff that was highlighted in the minutes is really bizarre. Did anyone see or hear of any Hibs fan that complained about the £5 deal? I certainly never. The fact that in both games the home support significantly increased would suggest to me that it was a successful initiative for Hibs. As a season ticket, I would have no complaints if Saints tried similar a couple of times a season. If it were to encourage a few more people to come along regularly then that benefits the club as a whole. Just dismissing it seems to be very short sighted. 

55 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

I'm loathe to criticise this initiative, as we have all been calling for more transparency from the club and better communication with us as the support, but the cynic in me views this as being something that Flaherty has quickly come up with on the back of the cup game fiasco to try and appease the support. 

It feels like a box ticking exercise and history has shown that these groups usually have a short shelf life before quickly being forgotten about. Some of the stuff that was highlighted in the minutes is really bizarre. Did anyone see or hear of any Hibs fan that complained about the £5 deal? I certainly never. The fact that in both games the home support significantly increased would suggest to me that it was a successful initiative for Hibs. As a season ticket, I would have no complaints if Saints tried similar a couple of times a season. If it were to encourage a few more people to come along regularly then that benefits the club as a whole. Just dismissing it seems to be very short sighted. 

According to Roddy the Hibs fans were " going mental on websites".

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

I also find it highly unlikely that many season ticket holders would complain about the occasional cut-price game. We all want to see big crowds and new fans being attracted. I always thought that the occasional ticket deal was taken into account in the season ticket price anyway, so don't see the issue. And let's not forget the club has sneakily put the price of Old Firm matches up by a tenner mid-season, so they could always say cutting the price of entry for another game cancels that out. :razz:

It does seem a bit weird to me to invite fan suggestions, then immediately dismiss those suggestions on the basis that other fans wouldn't like them. They were happy enough to upset the fans around the Rangers game despite knowing what the response would be (and to ignore the fans in the aftermath), which makes it feel like fan happiness is only used as justification when it suits the club.

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

According to Roddy the Hibs fans were " going mental on websites".

My impression was that the £5 Hibs game was successful. I only heard positivity towards it but then I don't read Hibs fan forums. Would season ticket holders really have a big issue with this for the occasional game. If they communicate it properly, explain what they hope to achieve and bring it up in one of the meetings they will surely get a feel for whether or not it's something season ticket holders can get behind.

Perhaps they feel that they won't get enough extra Saints fans in seats doing this to make it worthwhile. You can't even give away tickets some times. I do think it would get extra away fans in and its not just £5. They will spend in the food kiosks.

16 minutes ago, Benny said:

Why don't saints do the game for £10 against hibs and give £10 off season ticket hders to use in the shop? They will get there money back as most would buy more than the £10 given

Im sure there's ways of doing this to keep season ticket holders happy. It would be interesting to see if they could get a significant increase in the attendance. Would think they could build some sort of additional perk into the season ticket at the start of a season.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Im sure there's ways of doing this to keep season ticket holders happy. It would be interesting to see if they could get a significant increase in the attendance. Would think they could build some sort of additional perk into the season ticket at the start of a season.

I’d be more interested to know how many season ticket holders would be arsed at paying around £7 more for one specific fixture. Being one myself, I’m willing the club on to try any sort of reduced pricing structure for one particular match, albeit our existing pricing structure is reasonably decent compared with other clubs. 

As has been said, I welcome this kind of initiative but I can't help but think their hand was forced because of the Rangers mess.

I find it disappointing that a lot of suggestions were put down without an effort to even consider them. The answers of "it wouldn't work" or "fans wouldn't go for it" seem like a cop out.

It would be nice if they simply tried some of these suggestions. Some might work, some might not, but we won't know until we give it a go. I'll never criticise the club for at least trying some positive new ideas.

Another thing I find odd is the fact that there was no talk allowed about on the field matters.

Gus MacPherson apparently refused to take part, but surely he should have been told that he had to. He's the head of football operations, it's his job.

Having a football fans forum with no mention of actual football seems to miss the point somehow.

2 minutes ago, Gekko said:

As has been said, I welcome this kind of initiative but I can't help but think their hand was forced because of the Rangers mess.

I find it disappointing that a lot of suggestions were put down without an effort to even consider them. The answers of "it wouldn't work" or "fans wouldn't go for it" seem like a cop out.

It would be nice if they simply tried some of these suggestions. Some might work, some might not, but we won't know until we give it a go. I'll never criticise the club for at least trying some positive new ideas.

Another thing I find odd is the fact that there was no talk allowed about on the field matters.

Gus MacPherson apparently refused to take part, but surely he should have been told that he had to. He's the head of football operations, it's his job.

Having a football fans forum with no mention of actual football seems to miss the point somehow.

Roddy said things like contracts and extensions should and will remain private until a deal can be confirmed and announced

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Down here if you have a season ticket for any club your away game tickets are capped at $15, a few years back a club chose not to honour the arrangement and charged full freight and we were given the choice of a $12 voucher at supporters shop or a voucher for the canteen or $12 off our renewal for next year, which was the difference between what they overcharged people.

As a long distance, St Helens, Saints fan, we do one game a season. I think when Saints play St Mirren they could market it All Saints day or the friendly firm and throw a deal out to both Perth and Paisley inhabitants. Kids for a quid and parents for a tenner. It's only one game and season ticket holders normally want to attract more diehards.

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

The fact that head of football operations was there but refused to take part isn't a good.

We had a top table if Flacherty ,SLO Roddy and a couple of media guys. Did he just say to the office who wants to join me ?. Very light weight steering committee. Be surprised if it last more than 3 meetings.

If there was ever a time to come out with an initiative it's now. Needing to build bridges with the fans they've recently p'd off, three important Saturday non Old Firm home games in April giving plenty time to organise, the weather should be more hospitable and enough in the bank to cover any shortfall should it not work. Ideal, so expect sod all to happen.

Edited by Sergei

12 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I also find it highly unlikely that many season ticket holders would complain about the occasional cut-price game. We all want to see big crowds and new fans being attracted. I always thought that the occasional ticket deal was taken into account in the season ticket price anyway, so don't see the issue. And let's not forget the club has sneakily put the price of Old Firm matches up by a tenner mid-season, so they could always say cutting the price of entry for another game cancels that out. :razz:

I don’t mind but will want a reserved sticker on my seat if they keep sitting there. Or I’ll take my own.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

The fact that head of football operations was there but refused to take part isn't a good.

We had a top table if Flacherty ,SLO Roddy and a couple of media guys. Did he just say to the office who wants to join me ?. Very light weight steering committee. Be surprised if it last more than 3 meetings.

Although the minutes lists the two media guys, only Flaherty, Bev and Roddy were at top table, the two media guys sat in the front row and not aware either of them said a word. I was suprised the minutes mentioned them as their only involvement was Ian Flaherty mentioning them at one point, he asked them to stand up so people could see them but neither did. 

11 hours ago, Strawman said:

He never got introduced but fairly sure Gus McPherson was there but sat at the back and never said a word.

yes he was there in the back of the room. I thought he would get introduced at some point if for no other reason than to say hello.

I would expect him to be involved in future events if they keep up with their intended timing of meetings.

Overall, I thought it was ok....a start towards more communication, but just that, a start.

I wasn't particularly surprised by the lack of enthusiasm towards reducing pricing even as a one off. Personally, I suspect the club don't want to go down that route even for a one off. Partly as I imagine they feel it won't put that much more 'bums on seats' long term and the potential that if they did something like that more long-term it could effect budgets etc.....I was a little surprised they didn't use that as an excuse for the Rangers game decision making.

2 hours ago, MrBored said:

yes he was there in the back of the room. I thought he would get introduced at some point if for no other reason than to say hello.

I would expect him to be involved in future events if they keep up with their intended timing of meetings.

Overall, I thought it was ok....a start towards more communication, but just that, a start.

I wasn't particularly surprised by the lack of enthusiasm towards reducing pricing even as a one off. Personally, I suspect the club don't want to go down that route even for a one off. Partly as I imagine they feel it won't put that much more 'bums on seats' long term and the potential that if they did something like that more long-term it could effect budgets etc.....I was a little surprised they didn't use that as an excuse for the Rangers game decision making.

If they don’t try new initiatives then they will never know if anything will work or not, if they are happy to average 3000 or so minus OF games then stick to what is happening now

13 hours ago, St Helens said:

As a long distance, St Helens, Saints fan, we do one game a season. I think when Saints play St Mirren they could market it All Saints day or the friendly firm and throw a deal out to both Perth and Paisley inhabitants. Kids for a quid and parents for a tenner. It's only one game and season ticket holders normally want to attract more diehards.

It should be done for the Hibs game on 22nd April, for multiple reasons. Hibs have done it for us twice within the last year and it would be a good reciprocal gesture to make. It's still two months away so there's loads of time to organise and promote it. Hibs are one of the better-supported teams in the league so would fill up their allocation easily. And it's the last game before the split so could be an appealing one with a lot to play for for both sides.

Going back a bit now, but when we played Dundee on the last day of season 1998/99 and broke the stadium attendance record, it was £5 to get in. So it has been done before, and very successfully.

Roddy etc may think season ticket holders would be unhappy with certain offerings, but I don't see how they could possibly know that when they never speak to any of us. As others have suggested, why not include an annual survey with the season ticket renewal?