Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

It'll be McGowan, Booth and Crawford. As others have said, Drey's a weird shout.

It'll free up space but it won't free up much of a wage budget as they'll not leave for nothing. I wouldn't be leaving my job for nothing if I had a contract!!!

Yes, I just wondered whether Costelloe was signed because Wright was on his way out. He’s one of the few where teams might actually be interested in him. I’m not sure the three you mentioned could be shifted - who would take them?

9 minutes ago, Linky said:

Yes, I just wondered whether Costelloe was signed because Wright was on his way out. He’s one of the few where teams might actually be interested in him. I’m not sure the three you mentioned could be shifted - who would take them?

I think we're more likely to release them and pay up (say) half their contract.  

5 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I think we're more likely to release them and pay up (say) half their contract.  

Yes, your probably right. I think Crawford will be gone, but the other name is more of a surprise, which made me think MacGowan, Wright or MacPherson.

There's also Clark.

Maybe he doesn't fit in with the style the manager is now going for.

I know he's on a long contract but we might be easy to deal with if it gets another big earner off the books.

He's another who might have a few clubs interested in him.

Back to United maybe?

Edited by Gekko

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

There's also Clark.

Maybe he doesn't fit in with the style the manager is now going for.

I know he's on a long contract but we might be easy to deal with if it gets another big earner off the books.

He's another who might have a few clubs interested in him.

Back to United maybe?

I would say Kane is more likely.

5 hours ago, BroganGoals said:

Considine maybe?

I don't think we can let Considine go unless we're signing another central defender. The fact that he played on Saturday shows how understaffed we still are in that area and that he's still needed. People on here talk about how we've needed to drop Gordon, but Considine is virtually the only other option when we do that.

McGowan would probably make more sense given he was dropped on Saturday and if we're going to add Sprangler to the squad alongside Smith and Phillips it suddenly becomes a lot harder to see where McGowan gets game time.

Have to say I can't see Kucheriavyi getting anywhere near the team any time soon either. It's become really clear that if he's going to play it needs to be in central midfield but he suddenly has a lot of players ahead of him in the queue. I just don't think he has the energy and physicality that Macca (understandably) wants in that area. Surely we need to get him out on loan?

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I don't think we can let Considine go unless we're signing another central defender. The fact that he played on Saturday shows how understaffed we still are in that area and that he's still needed. People on here talk about how we've needed to drop Gordon, but Considine is virtually the only other option when we do that.

McGowan would probably make more sense given he was dropped on Saturday and if we're going to add Sprangler to the squad alongside Smith and Phillips it suddenly becomes a lot harder to see where McGowan gets game time.

Have to say I can't see Kucheriavyi getting anywhere near the team any time soon either. It's become really clear that if he's going to play it needs to be in central midfield but he suddenly has a lot of players ahead of him in the queue. I just don't think he has the energy and physicality that Macca (understandably) wants in that area. Surely we need to get him out on loan?

With the amount of midfielders we have and have signed I doubt if we will see Max or Bally get any game time. Unfortunately for Max when he was played it was wide right which was not his position. Ballantyne had a really good end to the season and was looking at him kicking on but he has been disappointing this season. They have probably suffered being part of a poor team.

1 hour ago, tucker said:

I'd rather get ride of some of the other players than McGowan at least he shows a bit heart.never backs down when things have went bad.thought he was best outfield player against hearts .

I do agree, but if we’re bringing in another midfielder then that sort of just leaves him as an option at centre half - another position which Macca wants to further strengthen. Probably been one of Davidson’s better signings, although not a high bar to clear, but if there’s no prospect of him getting minutes then it’s better to move him on. Likely to be one of the higher earners in the squad, but also somebody that other clubs are willing to take. 

McGowan's one of those players that's handy to have around, because he can cover a few positions.

Maybe not a regular starter in the new squad but can be used from the bench or as injury cover 

He could very well be one of the big earners though and the manager seems to want to get rid of as many of these as possible.

Probably to free up funds to get his own men in?