Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

On 9/21/2023 at 11:14 AM, Aitchy said:

I think he sees Sprangler and Smith as holding midfielders and hopes to use Philips further forward.

I hope not Phillips breaks up play doesn’t seem overly creative

On 9/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, blueheaven said:

Be interesting to see what Macca will see as his first choice midfield once Sprangler's up and running. From what's been said about him I get the impression he's most likely to compete with Phillips for his place in the team.

I'm guessing he probably won't start against Hibs but maybe Macca will spring (sprang?) a surprise.

38 minutes ago, Linky said:

Why did we sign Jephcott if we’re not going to play him? He’s a certain type of player, a poacher in the box, that needs a certain style of play to work for him. This seems to be the opposite of what we’re doing.

It might actually benefit Carey if he has someone in the box to try and aim for.

11 hours ago, Linky said:

Why did we sign Jephcott if we’re not going to play him? He’s a certain type of player, a poacher in the box, that needs a certain style of play to work for him. This seems to be the opposite of what we’re doing.

Not to mention Turner-Cooke, who was supposedly arriving as the box-to-box midfielder we needed, and yet has barely played. On Saturday a 16-year-old was preferred to him. Smith already dropped too. And Costelloe.

11 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not to mention Turner-Cooke, who was supposedly arriving as the box-to-box midfielder we needed, and yet has barely played. On Saturday a 16-year-old was preferred to him. Smith already dropped too. And Costelloe.

I think Costelloe was always going to be dropped once Wright was fit. Smith was a surprise - expected him to start instead of Cammy. As for Fran coming on I think Macca was just trying to give him some experience - the game was pretty much gone by then

Budget drastically cut, CD paid off, haemorrhaging cash for some time and Macca said that he had to fish in a different pond from other teams to catch some tiddlers. 

We will follow ICT into the Championship and, unless a miracle happens, we will be playing the likes of Forfar and East Fife. 

Cant find anyone interested in buying the club now, so what will it be like when we fall, unceremoniously down the pyramid? 

Does the board want Part time football or even a club at all? Will we be the next Third Lanark? 

Jeanfield Swifts will then become the senior team in Perth. 

Frightening thought but we cannot even afford to sack Macca until, like CD, it is too late. 

It all too Walt Disney. 

10 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

I think Costelloe was always going to be dropped once Wright was fit. Smith was a surprise - expected him to start instead of Cammy. As for Fran coming on I think Macca was just trying to give him some experience - the game was pretty much gone by then

I thought Costelloe was signed to compete with Carey, and was only being played on the right initially because of Wright's injury. Pretty much everything I can find about him online says he's left-sided, including stuff on the Burnley official site.

When Franczak came on there were still 15 minutes plus stoppage time to go, so for me it's a big worry if we were bringing him on just to get experience rather than trying a last throw of the dice to get something out of the game. It was only a few weeks ago that Dundee were beating us 2-0 with about half that amount of time on the clock and we still got a point out of it.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I thought Costelloe was signed to compete with Carey, and was only being played on the right initially because of Wright's injury. Pretty much everything I can find about him online says he's left-sided, including stuff on the Burnley official site.

When Franczak came on there were still 15 minutes plus stoppage time to go, so for me it's a big worry if we were bringing him on just to get experience rather than trying a last throw of the dice to get something out of the game. It was only a few weeks ago that Dundee were beating us 2-0 with about half that amount of time on the clock and we still got a point out of it.

I'd agree with both points - but thats just the way I think Macca saw it. Carey is pretty much undroppable in the managers eyes. 

20 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

The game was done!!?!?!? Eh??

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Anyone know what's happening to McGowan , Booth and Crawford. Haven't seen any of them or Ballantyne in training vids.

Is today the last day for loans to lower leagues.

Assume there's nothing much happening at all. I'm not sure if Booth and Crawford are still injured so wouldn't have been training much anyway.

Unless McGowan has done something awful that we're not aware of, I feel he should still be in the squad.

Given the shape worked so much better in the first half, I think MacLean needs to think carefully about January (if he gets that far). Are Booth or Clark really ever going to be fit again? Is Kane even?

How hard did we work to shift MacGowan and Crawford if they're no longer needed?

The shape makes Brown and Gallagher superfluous, and perhaps Jaiyesimi. Yet, it means we need another wing back each side.

What is frustrating is that all this squad building, finding out what shape works and what doesn't should've been done before the season started.