Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

13 hours ago, pezza70 said:

Let’s all get behind him and hope he offers us something better then what we have at present.

I don’t care where he has come from as long as he plays well for us.

COYS

Agreed.  It's clear we have very little knowledge of Dara Costelloe yet some seem intent on deriding his abilities before we've seen what he brings us. Surely we should be giving the lad our full hearted support and encouragement. 

24 minutes ago, Ritspeed said:

Agreed.  It's clear we have very little knowledge of Dara Costelloe yet some seem intent on deriding his abilities before we've seen what he brings us. Surely we should be giving the lad our full hearted support and encouragement. 

If thats a go at me, im not "deriding his ability".

Im just stating he struggled at Bradford and that U23 EPL level isnt a great level, while contesting that hes a "level up" from Drey Wright.

Theres a middle ground between saying hes hopeless and saying hes incredible.

Edited by RandomGuy

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Im just stating he struggled at Bradford and that U23 EPL level isnt a great level, while contesting that hes a "level up" from Drey Wright.

It's not having a go at you, or anyone really.  It just seems we can be a glass half empty bunch sometimes (perhaps with some justification given the recent past)! I'm trying to stay positive and think that the signings this window plus background changes maybe hint that, whilst we may not yet be turning the corner, at least the corner is in sight. 

5 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Alex Ferguson away on loan to Queen of the South for the season.

Good move for him. Don't think he would be getting much game time with Saints given that when everyone fit we have midfielders coming out our ears. I think Marvin Bartley will get the best out of him.

28 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Luke Robinson incoming Loan Wigan 21 year old Left back 

They say you won't win anything with kids. From one extreme to the other.

I assume there is no hope of Gallacher or Booth if we are bringing in a left back when it's a striker we need. Not convinced Dara is the answer as a striker , maybe wide left.

40 minutes ago, Cagey said:

They say you won't win anything with kids. From one extreme to the other.

I assume there is no hope of Gallacher or Booth if we are bringing in a left back when it's a striker we need. Not convinced Dara is the answer as a striker , maybe wide left.

I would assume there are worries over Booth’s fitness which is why Robinson is arriving. Similarly I think Costelloe is cover whilst Kane & Clark are injured.

I imagine we’re still looking for a non-loan signing on the left wing.  I think that will be it though. Maybe Parker & Crawford out on loan.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:32 AM, RandomGuy said:

I thought I heard it was a manager problem at Bradford?

He’s a centre midfielder, more defensive. Played in the Austrian top division until recently, but not always first choice. Career went downhill recently, and was on a short-term contract with a club that was relegated from the second division.

So, I’d assume if we’re looking for a CM, that’s the end for Crawford, and we’d go for Smith & another player as the main CM pairing, with MacPherson & Philips as back up.

11 minutes ago, akuram said:

Why do not ever sign a big target man who can hold the ball and take the pressure of the defence?

Seems obvious.

Big strikers are not easy to come by and Saints aren't going to spend silly money after last season.

Mind you Livi and Killie seem to manage to pick them up. Van Veen at Motherwell.