Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

I feel that up front we're a bit short and also lacking in power and strength.  

We could do with a big centre forward who had a bit about him to annoy the opposition and give them something to think about.  

It doesn’t feel we have anybody who could worry the defence of any team and it seems like ages since we’ve had somebody that was able to do this.  

Bair had the size to be able to play this part but frustratingly never did.  

May, Jephcott and Clark are all on the small side for that job.  

Kane might be the closest we have but he’s still under six feet and who knows what’s going on there?  

Wonder if Haaland has a brother?

2 hours ago, Broggy Man said:

Need to play two up top or get another striker in

If May wants to run about like a headless chicken,play him as a number 10 behind Jephcott.

We need a striker, preferably a target man but so do lots of teams but we are shopping in freebie market so we have no chance of picking up a decent striker.

Our only hope is a young loanee. If only we could have got young Lowry who changed the game yesterday. Having watched the Killie game he is miles ahead of any of the new guys they have signed.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Dont think theres been a single leak all Summer about whos coming in?

Generally its a name nobodies thought of until the papers announce its done a few days before the club do.

Tbh as frustrating as it is with no leaks it’s almost like saints of old just about first we know about them is the announcement video 

Louis Moult, 31 year old English journeyman, had the freedom of Gayfield for Dundee United, and was Man of the Match by a country mile. I know it's not the same standard as our Premiership where he played for Well, but there are some players busting a gut in League 2, and the National League, who could waltz it in Scotland, like Paul Mullins at Wrexham who scored for fun at Cambridge and for his present club. I know we could never entice him but there are some decent goalscorers down there and must be worth a punt, surely, especially as none of ours are likely to get double figures unless Jephcott is the icing on the cake!

In Macca we trust to unearth a gem of a big target man.

24 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Louis Moult, 31 year old English journeyman, had the freedom of Gayfield for Dundee United, and was Man of the Match by a country mile. I know it's not the same standard as our Premiership where he played for Well, but there are some players busting a gut in League 2, and the National League, who could waltz it in Scotland, like Paul Mullins at Wrexham who scored for fun at Cambridge and for his present club. I know we could never entice him but there are some decent goalscorers down there and must be worth a punt, surely, especially as none of ours are likely to get double figures unless Jephcott is the icing on the cake!

In Macca we trust to unearth a gem of a big target man.

Jephcott has averaged 1 in 2 has he not? 

Mitov

Olufunwa   McClelland      ??         ??

Wright          Smith       Phillips         ??

May   Jephcott

Sinclair, Brown, Booth, Gordon, MacPherson, Ballantyne, Kucheryavyi, Clark, ??

Still need 3/4 in. 100% need a left winger/sided attacking player. Centre half and left back would REALLY improve things but not deemed essential as Macca probably feels Gordon/Considine and Gallagher are good enough if part of a more solid starting 11. Back up striker if Kane isn’t likely to back anytime soon.

Never going to happen but would still like to see us try and offer to a way of offloading McGowan, Carey, Crawford, Considine and Gallagher and try to replace them with slightly younger squad players.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

49 minutes ago, tucker said:

McGowan was one of our best players I'd keep him without doubt 

I’m aware that I’m in the minority on Ryan McGowan but I think he flatters to deceive and when the chips are down he doesn’t make any critical difference in matches, neither defensively or going forward - it’s all very very meh!! Some people are ok with meh.

Flying right back Ryan McGowan of 2012 I’d absolutely bite your hand off for at Saints. Young, dynamic going forward, determined to be the best he can be, ruthless in the tackle and adventurous when he could be..

Is that the player you see? He’s become a jack of all trades and master of none.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’m aware that I’m in the minority on Ryan McGowan but I think he flatters to deceive and when the chips are down he doesn’t make any critical difference in matches, neither defensively or going forward - it’s all very very meh!! Some people are ok with meh.

Flying right back Ryan McGowan of 2012 I’d absolutely bite your hand off for at Saints. Young, dynamic going forward, determined to be the best he can be, ruthless in the tackle and adventurous when he could be..

Is that the player you see? He’s become a jack of all trades and master of none.

Teams with small squads need jack of all trades.

I would keep McGowan as he never gives less than 100%. Would even make him captain.

We have to find a way to release Crawford and Considine.

Strange why Clark are out for so long.

McGowan is a fine squad player. He can play multiple positions and draws a foul.

I’d say left winger will be the next player to come in. I can’t see us signing any more defenders. If Clark & Kane are out for longer, then maybe another striker on loan?

I think McGowan's going to be an important player for us this season. Does the simple stuff pretty well, brings lots of experience to a young squad, can plug holes in a few different positions. Obviously I'd love us to have better and I'd expect we'll probably move on from him next season, but at this stage of the re-build I don't think replacing him is a priority.

Considine I think will still be needed as back-up and I don't have any issue with that.

Crawford's one I just can't see any place for even during an injury crisis and surely he'll be away by the end of the transfer window, even if just out on loan?