Saints v Hibs, Saturday 22 April 2023

blueheaven

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

MacPherson was our best CM yesterday and it wasnt even close.

If only McLean  would let someone else take the free kicks and corners. Out of the 10 + he took yesterday I think only one met a head , Saints or defenders. Why do they persist in throwing free kicks into the box , occasionally play the ball wide to draw the defence out when we are taking free kicks from over 30 yards out.

We very rarely score from corners or set pieces whilst it seems we lose a few from set pieces.

Why do we persist with long throw when they are high and easy for defenders to clear.

McLean has 2 weeks to work on those things as it looks like we are stuck with him for rest of season.

A bit better yesterday, than we had been of late , but that was not difficult. Surely Rudden may have made a difference up front, however onwards we go and lets get right behind the team on the run in.   Oh and the PA system is still shite,  it may be OK in the main stand, in the East stand you could hear hee haw .

6 hours ago, Ali91 said:

There were elements I liked yesterday, the way we limited their chances being the main one. We looked much more solid with four at the back and Drey further forward, although they did get a lot of joy down our right side before going down to 10 men. James Brown can feel hard done to, he’s been thrown to the wolves at left wing back and left of a back three for most of the season, and then doesn’t get the nod when we play a back four. Don’t think McGowan there particularly worked. 

Definitely agree with this. I think yesterday really showed that Callum has been wasting Wright in a more defensive role for most of the season. Let him concentrate on playing further forward and he can really do some damage. I also thought Brown would have supported Wright a lot more down that side as Brown's decent at getting forward whereas it's not really part of McGowan's game. I'd definitely like to see Brown in that right-back role for the next match.

4 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye it was doing my head in to the point I ended up moving seats. Fairly sure Gus isn’t his old man either 

He's definitely not. Love that this has become a thing people are talking about as fact though. 

For me there's no question Cammy should be starting games at the moment. He's made a big difference in that area. I just really, really want someone to tell him that he maybe shouldn't be taking the free-kicks.

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye it was doing my head in to the point I ended up moving seats. Fairly sure Gus isn’t his old man either 

There was a guy in the padded seats in mainstand stating that previously prior to him coming to saints as director of football. He stated at the time that that was why St Mirren released him.

@blueheavenchecked that out at the time and said he wasn't related. 

5 hours ago, Cagey said:

If only McLean  would let someone else take the free kicks and corners. Out of the 10 + he took yesterday I think only one met a head , Saints or defenders. Why do they persist in throwing free kicks into the box , occasionally play the ball wide to draw the defence out when we are taking free kicks from over 30 yards out.

We very rarely score from corners or set pieces whilst it seems we lose a few from set pieces.

Why do we persist with long throw when they are high and easy for defenders to clear.

McLean has 2 weeks to work on those things as it looks like we are stuck with him for rest of season.

Ball is in the air a lot because the pitch is akin to a field. 

20 hours ago, GMac said:

A bit better yesterday, than we had been of late , but that was not difficult. Surely Rudden may have made a difference up front, however onwards we go and lets get right behind the team on the run in.   Oh and the PA system is still shite,  it may be OK in the main stand, in the East stand you could hear hee haw .

Agree , my hearing isn't great but couldn't make out was announced on tannoy in East.

What was the parade of the auld guys about ?. Didn't hear it and had not seen anything on OS that it was happening.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

What was the parade of the auld guys about ?. Didn't hear it and had not seen anything on OS that it was happening.

They auld guys are members of Alex rennies championship winning team of 40 years ago.

I could say who they are but reckon it would be lost on you.go Google them or get a match programme.

11 hours ago, slf said:

They auld guys are members of Alex rennies championship winning team of 40 years ago.

I could say who they are but reckon it would be lost on you.go Google them or get a match programme.

You ain’t allowed to talk about the 80’s 

Cant believe Macca getting criticism already, thought he went out an attacked with the 4123 formation cos of his big brass balls. I think perversely we would have won of Hibs didn't get a man sent off and sat in. I think once he gets his own players in we will be in great shape.