St.Mirren V St.Johnstone - 24th February

SaintJet

Wasn’t there today but am I hearing right that Sidibeh collapsed at the end rather than injured in a tackle ?

Is Levein not putting unfair expectations on this lad, he hasn’t been a full time footballer until a month ago yet we expect him to play 90 mins 3 games in a row.

Only 2 subs made so it’s not like there wasn’t any options, May and Clark have worked well together in past yet our management have never tried them together in a game.

38 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Would you F off!

Are you a Saints fan? My arse!

No fair comment to be honest. There are none so blind as cannot see.

how the tuck Geoff thought employing a guy with a poor record apart from a couple of half decent seasons with United battled me.

not only that he is a formless clown. Straight man to Any Irons who took gypsies and made a cool of him..

4 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Wasn’t there today but am I hearing right that Sidibeh collapsed at the end rather than injured in a tackle ?

Is Levein not putting unfair expectations on this lad, he hasn’t been a full time footballer until a month ago yet we expect him to play 90 mins 3 games in a row.

Only 2 subs made so it’s not like there wasn’t any options, May and Clark have worked well together in past yet our management have never tried them together in a game.

Sidebeh  ran his heart out almost litterall. Disgrace not to see he aS struggling and not sub him.

Struggled to cope on the pitch but that was no excuse. St Midden pressed us constantly and the Saints players just couldn't handle it - too many panicky clearances / passes or when we did get forward they opted for the safe option.

Individually nobody was a disaster - I thought Adama did well given he was pretty much on his own until late on when DJ and Max supported. Matt Smith had a decent game as did Dan although the latter was very negative with his passing.

Defence was poor though when put under pressure. Robinson didnt really come into the game until he had DJ as a wide option on the left (was that Careys role?). Gallacher did ok on the right but didnt contribute much and didnt really see much of the ball - Keltjens or Olufunwa would have been a better option.

Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of calmness and control that the experienced players had - Clark, Carey and to an extent Considine. All were poor on the day - the first 2 arguably contributed nothing all afternoon.  Clark especially given how much he was being talked about pre-match was anonymous - if we're going to start with 2 strikers then I'd argue that Benji or May deserves a spot in front of him

1 hour ago, Strawman said:

He went for a header just before and took a knock and was done for a bit.

I zoned out and switched it off though so dont know what happened between that and him being stretchered away.

I have given Craig Levein and his sidekick the benefit of the doubt until now. It is clear to me that he / they are displaying pathological behaviours that are resulting in this squad performing far below its collective capability.

There is no doubt that we are bereft of any width (save for the injury prone Wright). It was obvious that this was the case from the day Levein took over but he failed to recruit to at least attempt to resolve.  Kimpioga and Sidibi may get us out of jail but without supply this is doubtful. Prioritising the signing of Connor Smith just makes no sense given the central midfield options and he is yet to show any ability to create opportunities. Sprangler now clearly behind C Smith and Kucheravyi in the pecking order - what?

There has to be an urgent change in approach or we sleepwalk into relegation.

What’s wrong with reinstating May with Clarke and playing Kimpioga wide? What’s wrong with  playing May as a number 10 with Sidibi / Clarke or Kimpioga up front.  Robinson and Gallagher clearly are unable to play as creative wing backs and the jury is out on Keltjens. The go to back three lacks pace and prone to bombscares. Move to a back four now and at least try and make use of the pace that now exists to give width, stretch defences and give forwards at least a glimmer of hope of seeing a penalty box chance.  

For god sake - release the shackles and try something different that gives at least a reasonable chance of picking up points. 

Over and out!

3 hours ago, Strawman said:

From official site: https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/adama-sidibeh-update

Once Levein initially came in I was open minded. I hoped that his most recent unsuccessful spell at Hearts was as a result of him taking on too much and that his time out of the game would have made him reflect and we would get closer to version of Craig Levein when he was manager at Dundee United. Things started reasonably well and he did seem to have us more structured and organised but since the Hibs game just before Christmas we have been awful and now I have serious doubts about him.

What are we working on in training? Our lack of attacking threat is absolutely embarrassing. St Mirren were quite happy to just let us have the ball at the back today us they knew we offered nothing going forward and they just waited on us inevitably losing possession before breaking against us with pace and numbers against our cumbersome defenders. Leveins been in football for a long time and Andy Kirk has been hailed as a great coach so how neither of them can see this is beyond me. A change of formation? Perhaps look at bringing Sprangler or May on? No, it’s alright we will just bring Max on to pass the ball backwards and sideways.

Levein talked about feeling he could improve players. Who has actually improved under him? Nobody as far as I can see.

I can see why so many are scunnerred with things at the moment. Paying £300 for a season ticket and/or attending away games at an average cost of £50 per games to watch us offer nothing. The football on display is dreadful. Can anyone offer any sort of explanation as to why Gallacher was at rwb today? Never a great sign when a manager brings in his own players and a few weeks later they can’t get in the team.

The players also need to take a bit of responsibility as well. It’s simple things like giving possession away and not tracking runners. We have the opportunity to get rid of a lot of players who have simply not been up to at the end of the season, but unfortunately at this moment I have seen very little that gives my any confidence that Levein will be able to rebuild a squad that can be energetic, determined and most importantly offer much more in an attacking sense.

41 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

We lack the central defenders to play a back four

Do we though?

We won a cup with Frazer Wright and Steven Anderson at CB in a back four, why is it suddenly unthinkable that two from Gordon, McGowan, and Considine can play the same way?

Im not saying theyre as good, but i dont see why a lack of pace at the back now forces us to play a back 5 yet Ando/Wright were fine.

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

Another shuffle of the pack. Assume it is a back  3 of Kerr , Gordon Considine but it cant be with Gallagher in there . Must be back four then but where does Robinson play. Back 5 then ?.

Does Le vein just throw the balls up in the air as see how they land. Gallagher at RWB, Robinson at OFF where he has done nothing except turn back like he did for second goal ,passed back to Considine who have the ball away at tried to recover and miscues before deflecting last Mitov. All from a pass backwards instead of forward.

what makes Le vein think Kerr Swith is any better than McLelland. His defending for first goal was pathetic.

Carey seems to have 1 good game in every 5.

Pretending we are playing 2 up front when they never linked with each other or the wing  backs .

Maybe we could try to win the game in first 10 mins not the last 10...

Why he can't see Spangler is our best midfielder is beyond belief.

use of subs and lack of subs is mystifying.

there is lots more wrong but I am just too pissed off to say any more.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Do we though?

We won a cup with Frazer Wright and Steven Anderson at CB in a back four, why is it suddenly unthinkable that two from Gordon, McGowan, and Considine can play the same way?

Im not saying theyre as good, but i dont see why a lack of pace at the back now forces us to play a back 5 yet Ando/Wright were fine.

No, we won’t a cup with Mackay, Wright, Anderson and Easton…. MASSIVE difference!

None of the current back 5 would be allowed to be their bootboy.

Considine hurpled about all game and chucked another goal with a clearance that Anderson or Wright would have put out the stadium.

What planet are you on!!

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Do we though?

I understand where you are coming from, but can you genuinely say you would be comfortable with a pairing of McGowan or Gordon with Considine?

I would be terrified of any team with the slightest bit of pace.

Wright was superb in his time at the club and Anderson was a level above when paired with him. Add to the fact they had two full-backs that were incredibly dependable. They formed a solid unit with and a midfield infront that worked their backsides off. Wright had the whole team playing as a very strong unit.

My personal opinion is that the only way a back four works is by hoping that Kerr or Robinson could play that lcb role.

34 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

No, we won’t a cup with Mackay, Wright, Anderson and Easton…. MASSIVE difference!

None of the current back 5 would be allowed to be their bootboy.

Considine hurpled about all game and chucked another goal with a clearance that Anderson or Wright would have put out the stadium.

What planet are you on!!

Agreed, but imagine how much easier Considine's life would be if he had an Ali McCann infront of him and a left-wing back that made a forward passing option for him!?

Andderson and Wright did the basics very well, but the likes of Mackay, Easton, Millar and Craig made their life easier.

Right now I honestly think if Livi and RC can pick up points that we will make the automatic drop.

We can’t score goals and just where we are going to pick up say another 12 points or so to stay up is anyone’s guess.

I was happy with CL’s appointment as I thought it might be just what we needed but I would love to know his mindset when picking teams?

We are well and truly in squeaky bum time 

I thought this was interesting on the BBC live feed today...image.png.e76d419156489488a38923397a955ff3.png

I think that says a lot.

The players seem to be following the lead of the manager because they just didn't seem to care about the game.

No urgency, no fight, it was like a bounce game.

Some of Levein's decisions are baffling...

Gallacher at RWB?

DJ, who's not a natural striker, coming on to play up front, while Clark, who is a natural striker, drops back behind the new front two partnership?

The game needed changed, because we needed goals and nothing was working, but he only used two subs, one of which was Max? Not May or Kimpioka, who again are natural strikers who you'd think we'd want on the pitch if we were chasing goals.

Then he said afterwards that we made some poor decisions. To be honest, most of them were made by him.

He hopes it's a blip and just one of those games.

Don't we all?

7 hours ago, SlickDT said:

I understand where you are coming from, but can you genuinely say you would be comfortable with a pairing of McGowan or Gordon with Considine?

I would be terrified of any team with the slightest bit of pace.

Wright was superb in his time at the club and Anderson was a level above when paired with him. Add to the fact they had two full-backs that were incredibly dependable. They formed a solid unit with and a midfield infront that worked their backsides off. Wright had the whole team playing as a very strong unit.

My personal opinion is that the only way a back four works is by hoping that Kerr or Robinson could play that lcb role.

I think with defensive full backs, we get away with it. Robinson/Gallacher both seem better defensively than anything. Right side the issue but McGowan slots in there?

You make it different by playing players in front of the full backs who can play higher up.

Phillips/Sprangler in midfield.

So you either play a 3rd CM and play defensively weak wingers, so potentially Sidibeh and Jaiyesimi either side of Clark and go 4-3-3, or you could play Carey on one flank. Or 4-4-2 with your hardest working wingers and strikers.

We seem to focus so much on "protecting" the most experienced players in our team.