Dundee v St.Johnstone

SaintJet

If replacing Mannus with Clark, Scobbie with Easton, Wotherspoon with Thomson and Craig for Maclean is the masterstroke then we are truly doomed!!

What has Scobbie done to warrant being replaced?

What has Clark done to convince you that he is a better goalkeeper than one involved in a European Championship squad?

Which of the aforementioned qualities lacking such as pace, endeavour and drive does Liam Craig bring that Maclean doesn't? 

Thomson in for Wotherspoon probably isn't a bad idea as Thomson has raw pace and provides an outlet for a team lacking confidence to ping diagonals for him to chase..

I said in an earlier post that Scobbie is a better defender than Easton but Easton is much better at getting forward and doesn't give away possession on his way like Scobbie was doing last night. I prefer Scobbie at centre half and see him as just an option at left back, not a starter. 

I think the midfield on Saturday should be: 

Thomson Millar Davidson Swanson

I would even make an argument for going 5 across the middle with Craig playing wide left and Swanson doing whatever the hell he likes.  In this case I would probably go with Cummins up front. 

Too much over reaction.  Got to look at the positives..... 

++

Damn right there is a negative reaction. Our form is appalling. A family of 3 or four last night could have paid up to £90 to watch our team roll over and have their bellies tickled by McGowan, Harkins, Hemmings et al. And it's been going on for months now. The fans are well entitled to be kicking off in my opinion...

We have won ONE football match since 27th November 2015... It's is now mid-February..

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I said in an earlier post that Scobbie is a better defender than Easton but Easton is much better at getting forward and doesn't give away possession on his way like Scobbie was doing last night. I prefer Scobbie at centre half and see him as just an option at left back, not a starter. 

I think the midfield on Saturday should be: 

Thomson Millar Davidson Swanson

I would even make an argument for going 5 across the middle with Craig playing wide left and Swanson doing whatever the hell he likes.  In this case I would probably go with Cummins up front. 

Absolutely this. Feel like one of our issues right now is a lack of the full backs getting forward. Fisher is starting to show signs he can do that a bit but Scobbie never will. Easton back there ASAP.

Cummins needs to be starting every game. His movement is the best in our squad. Not being given the opportunities to score though because we're losing the midfield battle. Five in the middle as described there might be worth a shot.

If replacing Mannus with Clark, Scobbie with Easton, Wotherspoon with Thomson and Craig for Maclean is the masterstroke then we are truly doomed!!

What has Clark done to convince you that he is a better goalkeeper than one involved in a European Championship squad?

Which of the aforementioned qualities lacking such as pace, endeavour and drive does Liam Craig bring that Maclean doesn't? 

Thomson in for Wotherspoon probably isn't a bad idea as Thomson has raw pace and provides an outlet for a team lacking confidence to ping diagonals for him to chase..

It's not actually about what Clark has done, it's about what Mannus has not done. Mannus has been poor and needs dropped. He has not been good enough to merit holding on to his place.  Clark is our other " Number one" (copyright Mr Tommy Wright) so if nothing else, by default he gets the gloves..

Manuss may be in a European squad but he is third choice behind a poor Hamilton keeper & 50 year old Carroll.

Damn right there is a negative reaction. Our form is appalling. A family of 3 or four last night could have paid up to £90 to watch our team roll over and have their bellies tickled by McGowan, Harkins, Hemmings et al. And it's been going on for months now. The fans are well entitled to be kicking off in my opinion...

We have won ONE football match since 27th November 2015... It's is now mid-February..

very very true

I'd argue a player that regularly plays poor passes to the opposition in their own half makes him a far worse defender than Easton. Seems to me like a lot of the interceptions and tackles that Scobbie makes is due to him losing the ball in the first place. I don't rate him at left back or centre back.

Ultimately he's one of a number of players in our squad I'd say is simply not good enough.

I ask myself- "if we freed Scobbie, Craig, Lappin, Spoony or say Sutton tomorrow would any other Premier club snap them up?"

I'd be pretty surprised if the answer was yes.

I ask myself- "if we freed Scobbie, Craig, Lappin, Spoony or say Sutton tomorrow would any other Premier club snap them up?"

I'd be pretty surprised if the answer was yes.

Have to agree. I don't think any of them would. At best, someone might take a gamble on Spoony given his age. He has the ability, just only shows it in flashes and his good games to bad ratio must be about 1-4. 

It's not actually about what Clark has done, it's about what Mannus has not done. Mannus has been poor and needs dropped. He has not been good enough to merit holding on to his place.  Clark is our other " Number one" (copyright Mr Tommy Wright) so if nothing else, by default he gets the gloves..

What hasn't Mannus done that has actually changed our already poor form.... I can't think of any mistakes he has made. Any mistakes he has made have been extremely minor compared to mistakes made by other who don't come in for the same criticism

Sort of game we win though and would help with confidence massively. Fact we have games in hand helps too. I don't think we are anywhere near finishing 11th just now and still see us being in the top 6 by the split. 

Yup, have the feeling if we can score first then we'd be able to grind it out, and then that win could push some much needed confidence into the squad, which could only help. This constant letting in early goals and falling behind is absolutely ruining us.

Sort of game we win though and would help with confidence massively. Fact we have games in hand helps too. I don't think we are anywhere near finishing 11th just now and still see us being in the top 6 by the split. 

I admire your belief but I can see no way we will finish top 6 with the 1st eleven that TW thinks is his best now . The entire team are mentally out on their feet and look also look physically drained as well. The only way we are going to finish top 6 is if the boss throws the dice and makes some major changes and they work. With the team as it is we are going to continue to struggle.

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

After about an hour, I just sat back in my seat and started to lose interest in the outcome of the match. This doesn't happen to me very often. I almost always keep faith until the very end, but it was such a 'nothing' display that we were never going to get a positive result. The performance was abject. No desire or quality in any area of the pitch. Darnell Fisher and Danny Swanson were the only two players who showed attacking intent (for approximately 20 minutes).

The one thing which disappointed me more than the team's performance was the minority of our support who behaved in quite a poisonous way from the very start of the match. Shouting abuse at individual players, shouting abuse at the manager, booing the team off the pitch at half-time, cheering substitutions.. I can't imagine that it has any kind of positive effect. I don't blame a few of the players for rushing off the pitch at the end of the match without applauding us. There was a guy near me who shouted insults at John Sutton, which he clearly heard, whilst he was warming up at the side of the pitch. Really embarrassing stuff all round, reminiscent of our cup tie in Dumfries last year. 

A real low point. I still believe we'll get out of this rut and finish up in the top 6.

None of our last 5 seasons have been without a disastrous patch of form.  I think the reaction over the last two weeks is probably because our previous runs of poor form have lasted maybe 8 weeks, but this has been 10.  I still have no doubt we'll turn it around and finish top 6.  The poor run might cost us top 4 though, as much as I hate to say it, Ross County and Dundee are better than us.