Where Have All Our Fans Gone.......

Jimmy Wallace

.... and more importantly how do we get them back?

2100 last night was a shocker. Ok, weather wasn't great, it was on telly, it was a school night etc etc, but the trend is continuing downwards. Surely we can't sustain full-time football on the shite crowds we are getting.

Would you accept a part-time set up at Saints? Would you be happy in the second tier (or worse)? We are 5th in the SPL, with some very good players. Why is there such a malaise? Will the current proposals re 12-12-18 and a single league body solve all our problems?

What's to be done?

Discuss.

I wouldn't panic based on last night. I was amongst a group of 4 season ticket holders who didn't make it last night due to a combination of work commitments and weather and my two nephews couldn't go because it was a school night. Granted we travel from further away and if we were in Perth we could have made it but the fact its on TV will undoubtedly put people off from going the extra mile to get there.

I can also see why people will be less likely to pay £22 to get in on a miserable night with the game on the telly. You could watch it in the warmth of a pup, get 5 pints and a packet of crisps and see the game for less than the cost of going. Was always going to be a shocking crowd.

I wouldn't panic based on last night. I was amongst a group of 4 season ticket holders who didn't make it last night due to a combination of work commitments and weather and my two nephews couldn't go because it was a school night. Granted we travel from further away and if we were in Perth we could have made it but the fact its on TV will undoubtedly put people off from going the extra mile to get there.

I can also see why people will be less likely to pay £22 to get in on a miserable night with the game on the telly. You could watch it in the warmth of a pup, get 5 pints and a packet of crisps and see the game for less than the cost of going. Was always going to be a shocking crowd.

don't disagree regarding the specific circumstances last night, but the general trend is clearly downwards. At what point should we panic?

When clubs hike up prices,hire Neanderthals as stewards and change kick off's to ridiculous times.

I bet we get the same amount of fans at the game on Saturday as we did last night.

FOOTBALL IS NOTHING WITHOUT THE FANS

Edited by Dr Christmas Jones

I share your concern but I can't suggest any answer, we have been on a downward spiral for years. Any idea how many Aberdeen fans were there?

Must be honest it was too bad a night for me to travel from East Lothian.

Must have been different weather in your part, as I managed to get there in one piece and even managed to get home

Its a generation of kids, my youngest wouldnt go, arsenal on tv, real madrid on tv, playstation in his room, saints just not as appealing to what it was like in our day, too many other options, saying that crowds were crap in late seventies/early eighties as well but probably didnt have the team we have now

However the club does it, it has to get current non-goers through the turnstiles for let's say four or five home games out of a sequence of six. One-off tasters doesn't give a taster - other than of the often not very good standard of football. To become a regular at anything you need to feel that you have a stake in the outcome - and a positive outcome is a better feeling than a negative one. But to develop the feeling of having a stake you have to first of all get attracted to doing it a few times over a relatively short period - get to know the people; the context; the challenges; what counts as good and what counts as bad. Once you have a feeling for all of that you'll then decide if you want more. And if the feeling is good you'll go for it. Bit like going to the gym. Go once every 3 months and you'll never get the 'feeling' and won't 'feel the benefit' and so you won't become get into the habit and become a regular. That's why gyms have introductory offers. You do it for a bit - you feel the benefit - and it becomes 'just what you do'. You've got to create supporters.

Made my suggestion on an earlier thread on my idea on an incentive scheme. And I wonder - What did MK Dons do to build their supporter base from zero?

Edited by henryhallsdanceband

I always feel Perth (city of) gets a bit of a raw deal in these sorts of discussions. Perth has a huge hinterland from where supporters could be attracted. You always hear about fans from Auchterarder, sometimes from Crieff, a few from Aberfeldy, the Carse, Newburgh etc. What about Pitlochry, Blairgowrie, Alyth. If Ross County can manage to pull fans in from the surrounding area, why the **** can't we? Do Saints need to extend their outreach work to beyond the usual places?

Edited by Jimmy Wallace

I always feel Perth (city of) gets a bit of a raw deal in these sorts of discussions. Perth has a huge hinterland from where supporters could be attracted. You always hear about fans from Auchterarder, sometimes from Crieff, a few from Aberfeldy, the Carse, Newburgh etc. What about Pitlochry, Blairgowrie, Alyth. If Ross County can manage to pull fans in from the surrounding area, why the **** can't we? Do Saints need to extend their outreach work to beyond the usual places?

Probably find that more than half the support comes from outside the city, where I sit most people are from edinburgh, crieff, muthill, peebles etc. Ross County haven't got as many other teams in close vicinity as saints, so would be hard to get to their level

Probably find that more than half the support comes from outside the city, where I sit most people are from edinburgh, crieff, muthill, peebles etc. Ross County haven't got as many other teams in close vicinity as saints, so would be hard to get to their level

so, in fact, Perthshire and beyond are doing their bit. It IS Perth that's failing the club?

Agree with Andy, round where I sit, couple of us live in Perth now but from Auchterarder and Glenfarg originally when first started going, couple of lads from Brechin, two from Muthill.

How often do the club visit these places though.

Sent the players out to Crieff for an afternoon for example.

When I first started going as a kid there wasnt much else to do, clubs have got to start competing more for the kids interest.

If they go to a 12-12-18 set up they wont be getting me through the turnstyle.

Can I ask why? Is there a specific reason. Would you not go if we got relegated.

I'm not convinced by the plans but isn't worth giving up for IMO.

look at the summer when people promised to support us pending the vote. That hasn't happened tbf.

I don't get people saying they'll walk away if 12-12-18 comes in. I, for one, think it could be interesting and am more than willing to give it a chance. It may well not work long term, but its worth a shot.

People have been moaning on for years about not enough relegation places, too many bodies (SPL, SFL, SFA) running Scottish football, etc etc. That stuff is all being resolved with this deal. 12-12-18 isn't ideal - but it will take away 4x playing some teams and give the chance for more teams to come up/go down.

Most people favour a 16 team league, but that's so unlikely at the moment and would still require a split to get up to a reasonable number of games per year (37).

Ladies and gents, I'd like to get views on whether you think Saints, in our current form, can be sustained with the crowds we are getting. The way things are going I think we will be part time within the next 3-5 years and playing at a level way below where we currently are. The fans aren't turning up now. What does the future hold?

Good luck getting support from here. I grew up in Alyth and went to high school in Blair and in all that time I was perhaps 1 of only 3 Saints fans in my age group...at least that I was aware of. Everyone else was either a Rangers fan or an Arab.

I don't know the reason why but i suspect it was to do with success as both those teams were doing well at the time. My nephew lives in Alyth and he is friends with a saints fan and I've taken him to quite a few games and bought him a Saints top (which he asked for) and he's always keen to go to a game and keeps an eye on Saints in the paper but to be honest him and his friends are more interested in Man City and Barca. Where I would create a saints team in Champ Manager, he's creating a Barca team in Fifa. I've tried to tell him that Tevez may well be a braw wee player but I'd rather have Roddy Grant but he just thinks Scottish players past and present are rubbish. Shame really, and I'm sure he's not alone for his generation.

I firmly believe though that not having all games kick off regularly at 3pm on a Saturday is putting people off. I know I can't make very many weeknight games any more and mid-day kick offs don't help when you play in a Saturday morning league (the very people who are most likely to attend a game). Saturday at 3 is the ideal time for most people but all of football has taken the TV's money so must do as the TV says.

Good luck getting support from here. I grew up in Alyth and went to high school in Blair and in all that time I was perhaps 1 of only 3 Saints fans in my age group...at least that I was aware of. Everyone else was either a Rangers fan or an Arab.

I don't know the reason why but i suspect it was to do with success as both those teams were doing well at the time. My nephew lives in Alyth and he is friends with a saints fan and I've taken him to quite a few games and bought him a Saints top (which he asked for) and he's always keen to go to a game and keeps an eye on Saints in the paper but to be honest him and his friends are more interested in Man City and Barca. Where I would create a saints team in Champ Manager, he's creating a Barca team in Fifa. I've tried to tell him that Tevez may well be a braw wee player but I'd rather have Roddy Grant but he just thinks Scottish players past and present are rubbish. Shame really, and I'm sure he's not alone for his generation.

I firmly believe though that not having all games kick off regularly at 3pm on a Saturday is putting people off. I know I can't make very many weeknight games any more and mid-day kick offs don't help when you play in a Saturday morning league (the very people who are most likely to attend a game). Saturday at 3 is the ideal time for most people but all of football has taken the TV's money so must do as the TV says.

Interesting stuff Mike. Folk in Blair and Alyth should be Saintees.

Clubs take the TV money then change kick off times for Sky,ESPN or whoever then moan that folk aint goin through the turnstyle.Reduce the price for every TV game then to £10

You cant have you re cake and eat it!!!

The simple answer is that it's too expensive and has been for years, look how many people are unemployed especially young people or can only get part time jobs and when they put down the prices for one game or so, it's too late they have already lost them

12 12 18 won't put me off. I'd rather attend a mid 8 match with top or bottom 12 at stake than a no interest lower half of a 16 or 18 team league match towards the end of the season. There will be little interest in the bottom 6 this season with Dundee likely to be doomed (say ah!) so hope we can make top 6.

Part time won't put me off either, Paddy Buckley was part time - how many goals do you think he would have scored this year if he'd had the chances Tade has had. No offence intended to Gregory, he just isn't the most deadly finisher I've seen in the blue and white.