Where Have All Our Fans Gone.......

Jimmy Wallace

I've always found going to the games much more of a chore during the colder winter months. I remember the hibs home game at the end of november and spent most of the game struggling to keep warm despite being wrapped up as if going on a major arctic expedition.

Families will be much more inclined to bring their kids along during the summer months. People talk about folk being away during the school holidays, but its not as if everyone goes away at the same time, and parents are always looking for stuff for kids to do during the holidays.

Agree with that. There are quite a few familys go away on holiday in the winter now as well.Don`t think as many as in summer but quite a few. The guys that play football at the weekend may start to go as well as long as it is only the Senior game that changes to summer football.

Think it is worth a try but will never happen.

on holiday,flown by an hard discount Ryan air and to an hard discount destination to drink hard discount beer

what do we want? we want Aldi, we want Lidl, we want Andy Little and Hard Discount,now!

slash the entrace price by two till the end of the season and ignore the heartless declarations of profits/losses and turn overs

I agree with Andy. We should also be selling strange makes you've never heard of cut price power tools and thermal socks, massive bags of paprika flavoured potato/maize based snacks and peculiar flavoured german chocolate from the serveries instead of pies and bovril. That'll get em rolling in to McD. As Andy says everyone loves a bargain.

I don't know what it is like now but what used to boil my water is them that never went near a game were the first to bloody complain

about the Saints performances.

If you could get all the punters that wander around behind the wife gettin the messages on a Saturday afternoon back to McD probably

Boost attendance.

I don't know what it is like now but what used to boil my water is them that never went near a game were the first to bloody complain

If you could get all the punters that wander around behind the wife gettin the messages on a Saturday afternoon back to McD probably

Boost attendance.

I've often sat in Tesco's upstairs cafe looking down on some of the poor saps doing just that - downtrodden, with miserable countenance, shuffling their feet.

Shame.

Boost attendance.

Aye but considering ye need an Abucus, did I say that :neutral: tae work out exactly when there will be a game on a Saturday I'm not surprised fans are dropping off. If you can't have routine fitba' each and every Saturday don't expect things to pick up in the near future. It wis mebbe too easy in my day - Home, Away, Home, Away, Home...

Boost attendance.

The ones that get on my tits are those that never go near a game but then clamber for tickets for a cup game, etc. and moan if they can't get one.

See also - Celtic fans and the furore for tickets for the Juventus game.

Yes, yes, good point. The tickets should definitely be reserved for the steadfast 2500 that manage to turn up week in week out, and I'm sure with our level of support they will have no problem getting one. That leaves an awful lot of empty seats at say, Hampden if you are suggesting that only regulars should seek to attend cup matches.

Still nothing to worry about this season eh. :wink: (Again)

Edited by Indicator

Team Average Attendance

Celtic 45953

Hearts 13384

Hibernian 10856

Aberdeen 10245

Dundee Utd 7472

Dundee 6544

Motherwell 4889

Kilmarnock 4864

St Mirren 4442

Ross County 4184

Inverness CT 4132

St Johnstone 3791

am surprised its not less.

visiting fans are way down as well.i cant recall hearts or aberdeen ever being located in a section of the west stand and the 'motorway' north stand shut.

The ones that get on my tits are those that never go near a game but then clamber for tickets for a cup game, etc. and moan if they can't get one.

See also - Celtic fans and the furore for tickets for the Juventus game.

Utter pish!

Perth being the town it is has a lot of fans who have moved away and don't regularly go, but come back for special occasions.

Fans who can't afford to go week in week out etc

When was the last time saints fans moaned about not getting tickets?

Really????

Quite frankly this is typical of many on here, "I'm a better fan than you because......."

FFS we are all saints fans who support the club in many different ways!

Edited by TheYellowBox

Arrogant utter pish to boot. Some people earned the right, in the 60's 70's 80's etc. not to have to feel guilty about not turning up to every match. You could say they did their stint of turning up nearly every Saturday home or away, during those era's. As one of those, I object to people coming on here and complaining, or moaning for the sake of it, about people when they DO try to turn up, even if it is only on the odd occasion.

Are these possibly the same ones complaining about poor and diminishing crowds at McDiarmid?

You've only got to look at the opportunies that now exist to find something else to do on a Saturday. Too many blank Saturdays. International breaks, winter break (during the best weeks of the winter), Saturday matches played mid week due to cup competitions that we're no longer involved in, matches changed to Fridays or Mondays for TV - endless reasons why people get out of the routine of following Saints.

If folk sample say the Junior league/cup matches and find that they enjoy them they could well change their allegence and simply move away from professional football alltogether. At least that way they will probably be able to find a match in Perth on a Saturday.

C'mon we don't need this glory hunter type stuff. Incidentally why do Saints not have a student gate, maybe this would increase the attendances slightly.

It's only going to get worse if we finish in the bottom half of the table! I think we will be lucky to get 4000 at the Celtic game

We've been hit pretty hard by the scheduling of some of the games i think. Far too many midweek games, often against teams which bring bigger supports (Hibs, Aberdeen, and the forthcoming fixtures against Celtic and Dundee utd)

Personally if you look at most teams within Scotland attendaces have fallen and unlike Ross C / ICT who have benifited by having an extremly close Derby teams will be having a lower count. Rangers have definetly impacted our attendance however TV rights have given us much needed cash so all in all I see no financial diffrence and with a little bit of luck maybe a top 3 spot is on...

I remember an average crowd of 800 to 1100 at Muirton so dont be fooled by our present crowd parents are key to continuing support and the club is and can only do so much. Scottish football is dire right now but hats off to the loyal Saintees I only wish I lived in the UK as I'd be first through the turnstiles.

If you compare last season's attendances to this seasons, most of the home fixtures are up on what they were last season. For instance, this time last year we had 6 games with siginificantly less than 3000, whereas this season we've only had 2 games just below 3000 (hearts and inverness) and the last game against Aberdeen, so i'm not convinced the trend is completely downwards. The only reason last season's average will probably be bigger than this season's is because we had 4 home games against against the bigot brothers.

Terry Butcher's criticism of attendances at ICT are interesting in the context of this discussion. Maybe the two Steve's should come out and do the same, or would that just make the problem worse?

Would make it worse. If they dropped the prices (for all) and then fans didn't turn up, then fair enough.

Many folk when talking about scottish football are deluded. Without being proactive the drain will continue. We aren't loosing fans to the OF or other Scottish teams, it is to sky/epl and other activities.

Terry butcher has a point in that fans should attend more, but he needs to direct that to his boardroom and those knob jockeys at Hamden who are slowly killing out game.

Midweek game for ict vs killie in February with Man U v Real Madrid on the tele and they wonder why fans don't turn up!!?!!

it has been mentioned all thru the post...scheduling and over regulation with over the budget for most fans,to suit dudes in suits and ties

It's not the SFA who decide the fixtures, its the TV companies and the clubs themselves. And I think you mention the prices are "pricing out" fans. Again it's the clubs who decide the prices.

It's not the SFA who decide the fixtures, its the TV companies and the clubs themselves. And I think you mention the prices are "pricing out" fans. Again it's the clubs who decide the prices.

The clubs have no option due to the crappy tv rights deals negiotated by the SFA. Deals that only have the interests of the Old Firm in mind. If the SFA had stood up to them both years ago the game would be healthier.