Perth And Kinross Council

saint sid

How much are the Council paying companies while the workers are nowhere to be seen?

Noticed in Atholl St. where the paving is being replaced that the workmen have been conspicuous by their ABSENCE this week.

Also where a small bridge is being replaced on the North Inch, at the burn on the Golf Course, think the men and machinery have been there once, possibly twice this week

This as well as St. Leonard's bridge being closed completely to traffic and pedestrians for approx. 3 months and the workmen off for 3 DAYS over Easter.

Nothing wrong with folk having holidays but, the start of the work could have been delayed till after Easter.

No wonder the shopkeepers are up in arms!

Councils, do they have penalty clauses written into Contracts if the work "runs over"

Rant over.

plenty of council workers post here,no replies yet tho......

-------------

what is there to reply to, apart from intemperate ranting?

Perhaps someone could highlight the work the Council does in silence, behind the scenes. Some of the children's safeguarding work, massively complex, always unheralded, unnoticed till something goes wrong, that keeps children safe. Or adults safeguarding. Or the work with older residents which allows them to stay in their own homes with dignity rather than being put into hospitals. The home helps. The School Improvement services which help schools maintain standards. The scaffies who keep the streets clean and take away your rubbish so you don't have to sort it out yourself. The household waste sites. The libraries that provide you with free access to thousands of books and give you free internet access. The Youth workers who work with disaffected young people and try (sometimes successfully) to keep them out of trouble. The fostering and adoption services that try to ensure a decent future for kids with difficult lives. The pest control people who come out and sort your rat trouble or wasp dike. The transport services that get kids to school. And old folks to centres. The economic regeneration work that tries to bring investment into the area. Aye, maybe you could mention some of them. Or maybe you could just call the Council a bunch of kunts and leave it at that.

-------------

Perhaps someone could highlight the work the Council does in silence, behind the scenes. Some of the children's safeguarding work, massively complex, always unheralded, unnoticed till something goes wrong, that keeps children safe. Or adults safeguarding. Or the work with older residents which allows them to stay in their own homes with dignity rather than being put into hospitals. The home helps. The School Improvement services which help schools maintain standards. The scaffies who keep the streets clean and take away your rubbish so you don't have to sort it out yourself. The household waste sites. The libraries that provide you with free access to thousands of books and give you free internet access. The Youth workers who work with disaffected young people and try (sometimes successfully) to keep them out of trouble. The fostering and adoption services that try to ensure a decent future for kids with difficult lives. The pest control people who come out and sort your rat trouble or wasp dike. The transport services that get kids to school. And old folks to centres. The economic regeneration work that tries to bring investment into the area. Aye, maybe you could mention some of them. Or maybe you could just call the Council a bunch of kunts and leave it at that.

-------

so for 2 and a half grand a year i get all those services! what a bargain! pity i use almost none of them, have no option to opt out, and have a bunch of bureaucrats who have no idea how or need to provide value for money, running the show. i take it all back.

Edited by canuck_saint

-------------

====

Most of which is done badly. With particular emphasis on the Social Care parts.

-------

so for 2 and a half grand a year i get all those services! what a bargain! pity i use almost none of them, have no option to opt out, and have a bunch of bureaucrats who have no idea how or need to provide value for money, running the show. i take it all back.

You dont get bins emptied, use street lighting. roads in the area.pavements, education system. until this year policing and Fire. And if you are paying £2.5k then you must have a property with some value so many would say you can afford it.

And as far as a bunch of bureaucrats, you have staff working in Council offices who like Government and many other areas are constantly being asked to do more and more with less and less resources.

Edited by mainstand

You dont get bins emptied, use street lighting. roads in the area.pavements, education system. until this year policing and Fire. And if you are paying £2.5k then you must have a property with some value so many would say you can afford it.

And as far as a bunch of bureaucrats, you have staff working in Council offices who like Government and many other areas are constantly being asked to do more and more with less and less resources.

---

just because i have a proprty with a high council tax, that means i can afford the tax? you are assuming i bought it, what if i didnt and in the current market find it impossible to sell? i still have to pay the tax regardless.

and on some of your other points - i have to take my bins to the dump as im never at home on a wed, never seen a streetsweeper ever, no kids no burden on education etc etc etc

and the streetlamp outside my house has been blown for about 2 years so if you could do something about that....

---

just because i have a proprty with a high council tax, that means i can afford the tax? you are assuming i bought it, what if i didnt and in the current market find it impossible to sell? i still have to pay the tax regardless.

and on some of your other points - i have to take my bins to the dump as im never at home on a wed, never seen a streetsweeper ever, no kids no burden on education etc etc etc

and the streetlamp outside my house has been blown for about 2 years so if you could do something about that....

So put your bin out ona  Tuesday.

Report your street light

Street sweeper maybe comes on a wednesday when you are out. But also you will have sweepers in the town centre,

So put your bin out ona  Tuesday.

Report your street light

Street sweeper maybe comes on a wednesday when you are out. But also you will have sweepers in the town centre,

---

ill bite...

given i work away from home id have to put my bins out on a sunday night and take them back on a saturday morning. local cooncil isnt too happy about that. streetlight has been reported several times over the last couple of years, and given the detritius blowing around the place there hasnt been a street cleaner in sight for god knows how long. i havent even got onto potholes yet, and the non existanst of police/fire cover.

p1ss poor service, i reckon a decent factoring service for the local community could do it for half the cash

I'm finding it hilarious that you're apparently a grown adult and property owner, but the solution of "Ask a neighbour to take your bin out when you're away" has somehow never occurred to you. And, apparently, the Herculean task of "Phoning the council and asking them to fix your streetlight" is well beyond you.

I'm also quite enjoying the logic of "THERE IS NO FIRE OR POLICE COVER". Because you know, when Wylie's Recycling went up last year it formed a raging inferno that has yet to be quelled, and roving murder gangs terrorise the populace. And it's not like there's a regular procession of People The Police Have Caught in the P.A or something...

I guess you have never had the pleasure of having to use a factoring service, they would charge you a damn site more for one hell of a lot less services.

Spot on, I have just been hit with an increase of 113% to take mine to about £15 a month.  I own my property so all I get is 'management' and my doors and windows painted once every 5 years.  Tried fighting it with very little joy.

There was a documentary on a couple of years ago based on a street somewhere down south.  They were to be given the equivelant funding for their street for a week and had only returned from collecting their cash before they were moaning that the street lights were off.  By the end of the week they were almost killing each other because the people without kids didn't want to contribute to education and those without elderly parents didn't want to contribute to their care.

The idea that we could tick boxes and only pay for the services we use is a great idea but I highly doubt it is anywhere near practical.

How much are the Council paying companies while the workers are nowhere to be seen? 

Noticed in Atholl St. where the paving is being replaced that the workmen have been conspicuous by their ABSENCE this week.  

Councils, do they have penalty clauses written into Contracts if the work "runs over"

Feck all and yes there is!

On/off topic but who cares,why did the council bring in a company to re-pave the high street (Just about everyone of them was polish i think) Surely it would have made more sense money wise to do it themselves or at least give the job to a local firm.

Local firm couldn't get on the tender list! Was a PQQ which was marked by a Glasgow company and only large companies mainly from the west got on the list! We do more work for Dundee city council! Will be interesting to see what happens on George street as signs state six weeks to complete from 18th march and last I saw they hadn't finished the first 30 metres!