Welcome Tommy Wright. Our New Manager

bigstu

Aberdeen and Hibs have made some very clever signings. Aberdeen will be a different prospect under McInnes and he has already stamped his authority on the side by getting rid of some of the old duffers that Brown was leaking a wage to while retaining some of their classier acts.

Hibs have managed to retain some good players from last season and have added some real top six quality in Liam Craig and Tudor Jones as well as the likes of Scott Robertson and Kevin Thomson who are very useful players when fit.

I agree with your thoughts that Aberdeen will be a much improved side next season. Hibs though I still have my doubts about. Can Caley have another season like last year? I don't think so, but depends a lot on the start they make. Ross County will hopefully sink like a stone. Can't see Killie or the Midden offering much. Dundee Utd are a strange one....they are defo in decline but have a habit of bouncing back. Hearts will surely be better...but that is going to depend on whether the whole financial mess gets sorted out. Partick.....a bad start to the campaign could see them rooted at the bottom for the whole season practically

I agree with your thoughts that Aberdeen will be a much improved side next season. Hibs though I still have my doubts about. Can Caley have another season like last year? I don't think so, but depends a lot on the start they make. Ross County will hopefully sink like a stone. Can't see Killie or the Midden offering much. Dundee Utd are a strange one....they are defo in decline but have a habit of bouncing back. Hearts will surely be better...but that i s going to depend on whether the whole financial mess gets sorted out. Partick.....a bad start to the campaign could see them rooted at the bottom for the whole season practically

United without Russell, Daly and Flood will struggle. They will replace them with youngsters for the future and it will be another season or two before they reap the benefits of that.

Hibs will have one of the top 3 strikers in the league if Griffiths comes back and have one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the league. If they sign Stephen McManus they could potentially field a side containing: Ben Williams, James McPake, Ryan McGivern, Stephen McManus, Paul Hanlon, Jorge Claros, Kevin Thomson, Scott Robertson, Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and Leigh Griffiths. I would have every single one of those players at Saints on the assumption that they are fit after a good pre-season and with wages aside.

United without Russell, Daly and Flood will struggle. They will replace them with youngsters for the future and it will be another season or two before they reap the benefits of that.

Hibs will have one of the top 3 strikers in the league if Griffiths comes back and have one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the league. If they sign Stephen McManus they could potentially field a side containing: Ben Williams, James McPake, Ryan McGivern, Stephen McManus, Paul Hanlon, Jorge Claros, Kevin Thomson, Scott Robertson, Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and Leigh Griffiths. I would have every single one of those players at Saints on the assumption that they are fit after a good pre-season and with wages aside.

It almost all hinges on Griffiths though I feel. Does look a decent team on paper....i'm not convinced of Fenlon either

It almost all hinges on Griffiths though I feel. Does look a decent team on paper....i'm not convinced of Fenlon either

Must say that Fenlon seems rather like Lomas in many respects.  He took time to adjust to Scottish football, but seems to learn from his mistakes both tactically and with the media/players.  I think he could be the one guy who could take a mediocre team on a run of positive results, like SL did with Saints last year.  

Must say that Fenlon seems rather like Lomas in many respects.  He took time to adjust to Scottish football, but seems to learn from his mistakes both tactically and with the media/players.  I think he could be the one guy who could take a mediocre team on a run of positive results, like SL did with Saints last year.  

I see the opposite with him....he enjoyed a lot of fortune at the start of the season that saw Hibs in a false position high in the league for a while. He then managed them to a poor finish, missing out on the top 6 by some way. Okay, Hibs did get to the SC final, but were fortunate to do so against a young Falkirk side, then proceeded to show nothing special in the final.

If Griffiths wasn't firing, he seemed lost as to what else to do

If, as R.B.B. reckons, Hibs do get a good squad together, then we will see if Fenlon is any use. I predict another poor league season for them next year though

Edited by Edstar101

I agree with your thoughts that Aberdeen will be a much improved side next season.

Sorry to continue to veer off topic but Aberdeen were meant to be a much improved side last season.  In fact almost every season people say something like "surely Aberdeen will be a better side next season"?  They rarely are!  They signed good players last pre season amid much hype but flattered to deceive as they have more or less done throughout my lifetime. 

Claros is absolutely honking.  His display in the cup final was one of the worst I've ever seen.  McPake is massively over rated as well. 

Sorry to continue to veer off topic but Aberdeen were meant to be a much improved side last season.  In fact almost every season people say something like "surely Aberdeen will be a better side next season"?  They rarely are!  They signed good players last pre season amid much hype but flattered to deceive as they have more or less done throughout my lifetime. 

Good point!! Wonder if the same will apply to Hearts next season? I am thinking that surely they must be better....but maybe not eh

Good point!! Wonder if the same will apply to Hearts next season? I am thinking that surely they must be better....but maybe not eh

--

I reckon Hearts are going to really struggle next season what with all their difficulties behind the scenes. Hibs have got some good players but not convinced by their manager's ability to get them playing. Motherwell seem to be losing a lot of key players. I expect Aberdeen to become more solid and difficult to beat under McInnes, but it could take him a few years to sort them out into any sort of proper force.

I know this is going massively over the top on the optimism front to even mention this, and obviously simply staying up should always be good enough for our club... but if there's ever, ever going to be any chance of Saints getting into the Champions League qualifiers, there will never be a better opportunity than there will be over the next two seasons.

--

I know this is going massively over the top on the optimism front to even mention this, and obviously simply staying up should always be good enough for our club... but if there's ever, ever going to be any chance of Saints getting into the Champions League qualifiers, there will never be a better opportunity than there will be over the next two seasons.

Which nicely brings us full circle as this off-topic discussion kinda started with me questioning why all the talk is around the fact that we as Saints fans shouldn't realistically expect the success of the last two seasons to continue :)

Which nicely brings us full circle as this off-topic discussion kinda started with me questioning why all the talk is around the fact that we as Saints fans shouldn't realistically expect the success of the last two seasons to continue :)

This is probably semantics, but I'm more in the 'hoping' rather than 'expecting' success over the next 2 seasons. More or less every year for...well.. just about as long as I can remember... Saints are faced with having to sign upwards of 7 or 8 players at least each summer, which is obviously quite major rebuilding. The manager's have done well every season really, with the last bad season being Connolly's, so we've had a bit of luck as well as good judgement on that front. It looks like we face a similar prospect again with a completely new management team, although it's good to see the back bone of the team all signed up again for next season, with maybe 3 or 4 obvious exceptions.

We do have a good, experienced SPL side already, albeit we're short of numbers just now, so fingers crossed we can keep our recent run of good seasons going, but it's difficult to 'expect' anything at this stage because we're still waiting on such a big number of players to come in.

Would rather see Tommy picked and fail than employ anybody else not presently connected with St Johnstone Football Club.

Tommy, if you do well... you will be a Saintee for ever. If you don't do well...you gave it a try...........

Good luck and well done Steve Brown for doing the right thing. Give Tommy some time, top 11 any season is a success for me.  

Hibs will have one of the top 3 strikers in the league if Griffiths comes back and have one of the top 3 goalkeepers in theleague. If they sign Stephen McManus they could potentially field a side containing: Ben Williams, James McPake, Ryan McGivern, Stephen McManus, Paul Hanlon, Jorge Claros, Kevin Thomson, Scott Robertson, Liam Craig, Owain Tudur Jones and Leigh Griffiths. I would have every single one of those players at Saints on the assumption that they are fit after a good pre-season and with wages aside.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No Griffiths at Hibs thankfully http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2013/06/11/leigh-griffiths-assured-hes-in-wolves-plans/

Would rather see Tommy picked and fail than employ anybody else not presently connected with St Johnstone Football Club.

Tommy, if you do well... you will be a Saintee for ever. If you don't do well...you gave it a try...........

Good luck and well done Steve Brown for doing the right thing. Give Tommy some time, top 11 any season is a success for me.  

==================================================================================================================

i agree captain.when are ye back in perth scotland?