David Wotherspoon

rik2304

It can`t be true it wasn`t on BBC sport scotland but Goodwillie is on loan to Dunedee United.It really pisses me off.Great news .I was hoping we would get him.New dimention.

you need anger management. The only thing that pisses me off is poor spelling.Great signing. Always wondered why we let him go.

• 1 year later...

Is anyone else constantly infuriated by David Wotherspoon and fail to see what he offers to the team?

His goal scoring record for an attacking midfielder is awful. He is very wasteful in possession. He lacks concentration and awareness.

Am I talking nonsense? Can someone convince me that David Wotherspoon deserves his place in our starting 11?

Edited by Aitchy

Is anyone else constantly infuriated by David Wotherspoon and fail to see what he offers to the team?

His goal scoring record for an attacking midfielder is awful. He is very wasteful in possession. He lacks concentration and awareness.

Am I talking nonsense? Can someone convince me that David Wotherspoon deserves his place in our starting 11?

Agree to an extent, but he does create a lot of our chances. STV's stats last year showed he was the league's most creative player in terms of chances created and assists and he'll likely be at the top of the list again for us this year. Indeed, if you watch the bbc highlights, he's at the heart of a lot of our attacking play.

He's still inconsistent though and I think he is the type of player who benefits from a spell on the sidelines more than others. Not sure I'd drop him as I thought he played well on Saturday, following on from one of his worst displays for us a couple of weeks previously.

It's a spectator sport, and he is entertaining to watch.  He also has contributed some brilliant assists this season.  However, I agree to an extent that you just want the final product from him that he fails to deliver over and over again.  Like his 85 yard run in the cup final, leaving half the united players on their arses, and then passed it to the keeper.  

There's a class player in there though, and I honestly believe we'll see the best of him again.  

It's a spectator sport, and he is entertaining to watch.  He also has contributed some brilliant assists this season.  However, I agree to an extent that you just want the final product from him that he fails to deliver over and over again.  Like his 85 yard run in the cup final, leaving half the united players on their arses, and then passed it to the keeper.  

There's a class player in there though, and I honestly believe we'll see the best of him again.  

I agree with MS. Its horrible to see certain "supporters" trying to hound Spoony out of the club. FFS, the man will be a saints legend one day.  

Agree to an extent, but he does create a lot of our chances. STV's stats last year showed he was the league's most creative player in terms of chances created and assists and he'll likely be at the top of the list again for us this year. Indeed, if you watch the bbc highlights, he's at the heart of a lot of our attacking play.

He's still inconsistent though and I think he is the type of player who benefits from a spell on the sidelines more than others. Not sure I'd drop him as I thought he played well on Saturday, following on from one of his worst displays for us a couple of weeks previously.

I forgot about that STV stat. I suppose that does show what he brings to the team and why Tommy Wright seems to have him in the starting eleven most weeks.

I would disagree with your belief that he played well on Saturday. In the first half, I thought he was very wasteful in posession and there were numerous times when Gary Millar had made good runs on the overlap, only for Wotherspoon to give the ball away or fail to see the pass.

For me, he is what I would call a "highlights player", in most games he plays he will hit a decent shot or produce a decent bit of skill which will be shown in the highlights, however his overall contribution throughout the game is often poor.

I forgot about that STV stat. I suppose that does show what he brings to the team and why Tommy Wright seems to have him in the starting eleven most weeks.

I would disagree with your belief that he played well on Saturday. In the first half, I thought he was very wasteful in posession and there were numerous times when Gary Millar had made good runs on the overlap, only for Wotherspoon to give the ball away or fail to see the pass.

For me, he is what I would call a "highlights player", in most games he plays he will hit a decent shot or produce a decent bit of skill which will be shown in the highlights, however his overall contribution throughout the game is often poor.

I remember Lomas mentioned he was looking to sign players who were statistically good - kind of like the moneyball idea -and I wonder if TW subscribes to the same kind of thing. Wotherspoon is effective because he does create more than most and he must cover a fair distance on the park when he plays, although agree his contribution can be poor elsewhere.

I've had this conversation quite a few times before - you're not alone in your thinking I don't think - but he contributes where it really matters IMO.

With regards to the Gary Miller thing - I'm not sure if Miller maybe wasn't giving him a shout? That's not an accusation I'd normally level at Spoony, who often gives the ball to an advancing Dave Mackay.

Agree with that. He is frustrating as there is a good player in there but seems to get caught in possession or delays his pass too long. He does a few too many tricks or step overs but it does catch the highlights. 

When he played for Hibs I was never worried that his final pass was going to hurt us & I think that is still the case most of the time. He is also a player you would expect to score about 10 goals a season but never does.