May Away?

cristo

Much much improved on the player who left on loan a couple of seasons ago.

Still very poor off the ball as mentioned and his touch isn't great.

I think for his career he'd be better staying and getting some decent level football under his belt.

I really hope he keeps his feet on the ground. Going by those ridiculous free kicks on Thursday night he's starting to believe the hype.

Hopefully that is not the case though.

Still pretty raw but the potential is there

I don't see a problem with his first touch, it maybe only looks bad because we've got used to maclean who has one of the best touch's of any player we've had for a while.  As previously mentioned by others my biggest concern would be how often he goes down and him potentially 'believing the hype'.

It now seems the move wont materialise but I was actually at the posh game on Saturday and don't think he'd be geting a look in anyway.

I have said previously, and will say again, May still has a lot to learn and certain aspects of his game still undoubtedly need to improve and mature if he is going to reach the potential that many believe him to have.

I don't think that this deal will ever happen, but if it did, it could go many ways. If he leaves, we might still have a great season and the sale would be seen as wise. If we don't sell, and have an average season, then lose him for nothing, then people will say with hindsight we should have cashed in. Whatever happens, you can never run all the scenarious in tandem to see what was the best move

would he still go for nothing since he was with Saints as a youth? surely there's some sort of tribunal system in place for such a transfer since he's under 23 or whatever it is. or is that system no longer in place?

TBH, I don't fully undertand the whole 'development' fee thing :?

Many on here think that if he does leave when his contract expires at the end of this season, then we will be entitled to a development fee. But I have also read that that might not be the case. Never mind my understanding, I guess it is something that the club need to be sure on as it will affect any future decisions I would imagine

In my opinion we shouldn't be so keen to sell Stevie for cash at the first club that come calling.

For years we've barely produced any youngsters even capable of a run in the 1st team, now we have Stevie who in my opinion has the potential to become one of the best strikers in the country. We've heard for years that the club can't keep throwing away money, we sign multiple players, spend hundreds of thousands, even millions on wages and we don't sell a single one to get any money back...this trend cannot continue!! It's a big part of why Scottish football is in a mess, players get 1 year deals, play well enough to attract bigger clubs down south and then leave for nothing or a very very small fee.

Imagine what would happen to Stevie's value if he was responsible for getting us back into Europe or to a cup final this season! I would be absolutely gutted if we just had to settle for a development fee (do they even come into play if he goes to England?).

If I was the Saints board, I would be getting Stevie and his agent in for talks NOW! Offer him a 2 year contract extension with a release clause that allows him to go if a club from Championship level and upwards come in for him with an offer above an agreed fee between Stevie and the club. I would hope being a local lad and a Saints fan that Stevie would respect the club for what they've done for him and sign on knowing that he leaves us with a respectable financial reward and not just pennies.

Has it occurred to anyone that Stevie might not want to leave just now? I know he only signed a one year deal, but I was under the impression that this was so he had a get out plan if we didn't keep to our word and give him a chance in the first team. I just hope Stevie has good people around him who could say, what harm could another season or two do in the Scottish Premiership?

Stevie could go to England this month or in January and settle for a place in a team like Peterborough who with no disrespect aren't a "big club", but IMO this would be before his real potential has been fully realised.

Or he could get another season or two in the SPL, play nearly every game, score as many goals as he possibly can, potentially take us to Hampden or back into Europe and his value and reputation could soar!
He could be looking at being in a better position than McCarthy and McArthur for example, who weren't exactly setting the heather alight in our top league yet still managed to get a club in far stronger position than Peterborough. Then when you look at the fees they went for McCarthy at £1.2m and McArthur at £500k, surely a high scoring Stevie May in a team achieving at least the same as we did last season...just has to be worth around the £1m mark.

TBH, I don't fully undertand the whole 'development' fee thing :?

Many on here think that if he does leave when his contract expires at the end of this season, then we will be entitled to a development fee. But I have also read that that might not be the case. Never mind my understanding, I guess it is something that the club need to be sure on as it will affect any future decisions I would imagine

Not 100% sure on it myself, but I believe we need to offer a contract to Stevie (on the same, or better terms) before his contract expires to be entitled to a development fee.  If a club don't offer anything, it is implied they do not wish to keep them on (regardless of whether the player states they won't be re-signing). 

That's my understanding anyway.  How the 'fee' is calculated, is another question altogether though. 

They are still after him, despite the Chairman's tweet last night.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh-still-keen-on-celebrating-a-may-day-1-5377378

We'll be screwed if he goes now, as we are already lacking a striker as it is, and with only a couple weeks of window, won't be easy to find someone.

As has been said, it would be good if the club could get him signed on an extension, even on top wages, knowing that it will be repaid in time, as you would imagine more goals will command a bigger fee - perhaps from a desperate English championship club come January. Signing on and Scotland appearance clauses are a must to ensure we can get money down the line.

One thing that's beginning to irritate me - and is consistent in the comments below all these stories about our managers or players going south - is the condescending disregard for our league (would they say the same about, say, the Norwegian League?) and, more troubling, the casual racism that creeps in and goes unchecked.

I suppose the solution is to stop reading comments.

Edited by truefaith