May Away?

cristo

Peterboroughs arrogance is appalling.

I doubt they would've hear of Stevie May unless he scored in the Europa League and called up for the under 21s.

No less than £500,000 if they want him.

I doubt he will go.

That's wrong.

A lot of English teams have excellent scouting setups. Hence the amount of interest shown to James McCarthy from clubs down south at a time when Billy Stark was ignoring his potential.

Peterboroughs arrogance is appalling.

I doubt they would've hear of Stevie May unless he scored in the Europa League and called up for the under 21s.

No less than £500,000 if they want him.

I doubt he will go.

English clubs' scouts are always kicking around the Scottish game, looking for prospects they can pick up for next to nothing.

Understandable too, if you compare what young Scottish players move down south for compared to players with similar ability playing in the English lower leagues.  Peterborough have a prime example themselves with the lad they signed/loaned out to the lower reaches of the English professional pyramid and then sold on to Palace this summer.  

In my opinion we shouldn't be so keen to sell Stevie for cash at the first club that come calling.

For years we've barely produced any youngsters even capable of a run in the 1st team, now we have Stevie who in my opinion has the potential to become one of the best strikers in the country. We've heard for years that the club can't keep throwing away money, we sign multiple players, spend hundreds of thousands, even millions on wages and we don't sell a single one to get any money back...this trend cannot continue!! It's a big part of why Scottish football is in a mess, players get 1 year deals, play well enough to attract bigger clubs down south and then leave for nothing or a very very small fee.

Imagine what would happen to Stevie's value if he was responsible for getting us back into Europe or to a cup final this season! I would be absolutely gutted if we just had to settle for a development fee (do they even come into play if he goes to England?).

If I was the Saints board, I would be getting Stevie and his agent in for talks NOW! Offer him a 2 year contract extension with a release clause that allows him to go if a club from Championship level and upwards come in for him with an offer above an agreed fee between Stevie and the club. I would hope being a local lad and a Saints fan that Stevie would respect the club for what they've done for him and sign on knowing that he leaves us with a respectable financial reward and not just pennies.

Has it occurred to anyone that Stevie might not want to leave just now? I know he only signed a one year deal, but I was under the impression that this was so he had a get out plan if we didn't keep to our word and give him a chance in the first team. I just hope Stevie has good people around him who could say, what harm could another season or two do in the Scottish Premiership?

Stevie could go to England this month or in January and settle for a place in a team like Peterborough who with no disrespect aren't a "big club", but IMO this would be before his real potential has been fully realised.

Or he could get another season or two in the SPL, play nearly every game, score as many goals as he possibly can, potentially take us to Hampden or back into Europe and his value and reputation could soar!

He could be looking at being in a better position than McCarthy and McArthur for example, who weren't exactly setting the heather alight in our top league yet still managed to get a club in far stronger position than Peterborough. Then when you look at the fees they went for McCarthy at £1.2m and McArthur at £500k, surely a high scoring Stevie May in a team achieving at least the same as we did last season...just has to be worth around the £1m mark.

Calm down. Fry took a cheeky wee nibble, SB and TW told him to do one, done and dusted.  

English clubs' scouts are always kicking around the Scottish game, looking for prospects they can pick up for next to nothing.

Understandable too, if you compare what young Scottish players move down south for compared to players with similar ability playing in the English lower leagues. Peterborough have a prime example themselves with the lad they signed/loaned out to the lower reaches of the English professional pyramid and then sold on to Palace this summer.

If they were so interested and knew about him why did they not offer him a contract in the summer when he was deciding his future??

I can't see May leaving as I don't think they will match the clubs valuation of the player.

why do you care? you told everyone may was crap all summer.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Show me where I said he was 'crap'! Pretty sure that even, in the unlikely event that I did describe him in that way, I would be entitled to change my opinion.

Edited by Saintdunc

If they were so interested and knew about him why did they not offer him a contract in the summer when he was deciding his future??

I can't see May leaving as I don't think they will match the clubs valuation of the player.

Very good question, and I don't know the answer. I suspect they were on the fence & his good form in the opening few games have persuaded them.

Whether they will be willing to match our valuation though (whatever that may be), remains to be seen.

50k What a cheek they got 6 million for selling Gayle to palace

Its maybe a ploy for other interested clubs to up the ante

Suppose they've not come back with a realistic bid yet

Did the rangers not do this with muzz

we re not a charity pay the going rate for our players or fk off