Famous Footballing Quotations

LethamChippy

Of course. They hated Catholics. All of them. I never understood why they were so filled with hatred. Several of us who were Catholic players and all foreigners were told upon arrival, never to bless ourselves at Ibrox as it could cause problems for us. I began to understand that Rangers was an extreme club very similar to Lazio here in Italy. You know, a right wing club with right wing supporters. I personally am not a practicing Catholic but my wife Anna Maria is, and it used to cause me pain when I heard what they said about my fellow Catholics. Lorenzo Amoruso and Jorg Albertz, just kept quiet and kept their heads down'
 I was rapidly disillusioned by Rangers and especially their supporters. As part of my professional duties I was strongly encouraged to attend social functions which meant going to several Rangers supporters clubs. The last one I attended really brought home to me the fact that I had nothing in common with these people. The anti-Catholic feeling was venomous and the songs they sang that evening filled me with disgust. It was at that point I decided not to give my all for a club that condoned such behaviour. I went sick. Walter Smith knew the real reason for my 'illness' and he just ignored it. But I wasn't lying, I was sick, sick of Rangers and sick of what they stood for and that is the truth'

Marco Negri. Negri scored 23 goals in his first ten league games. 

"I'd just come from Italy and France which are catholic countries,very warm and friendly,and here I was in Glasgow with some of my team-mates [i.e. fellow Rangers players] hating catholics. I just couldn't understand it and frankly found it ridiculous."
Ray Wilkins on an ESPN documentary said about Rangers (June 2007)

Brian Clough: "What team did you say you support again?"
Man in the studio audience: "RANGERS!"
Brian Clough: "That's not a football team! That's a gang of villains."
The irrepressible Brian Clough on "Sport in Question"

COMEDIAN Andy Cameron was barracked by fellow Rangers' shareholders yesterday when he asked the club's chairman Mr John Paton to "come out and be honest" about the board's policy towards Roman Catholics. Mr Cameron, whose earlier remarks about the calibre of the Rangers' team had drawn laughs and cheers from the floor of the club's annual meeting, was heckled and told to sit down. Minutes later, a number of shareholders milled round Mr Cameron and exchanged angry remarks with him.
The Herald (Oct 2010); the above happened in 1985

"I was reluctant to entertain exposing my family to the risk of a recurrence of the bigotry that I had encountered in my playing days... Cathy's religion [she was Catholic] would probably have been enough in itself to convince me that returning to Rangers was not a good idea."
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on why he turned down advances to take over Rangers managers role

“The principal muck-spreader was Willie Allison, the bigoted public relations officer, who clearly felt that anybody married to a Catholic was not a fit and proper person to play for Rangers. Allison was a religious bigot of the deepest dye. I had a thoroughly Protestant upbringing but, of course, Cathy is Catholic and so were my mother’s family.”
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on Rangers

To the Rangers fans: "Stay and vomit in your own home, urinate in the corner of your own sitting room, fight with your own neighbours Celtic (who deserve a medal for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back to Barcelona, you're an embarrassment. And while we're at it, don't play in the Champions League. You're not up to scratch, either on a sporting or human level.
There are noisy supports who, even though they drink large quantities of beer, make friends. Not you lot, because you turn everywhere you go into dumps. You are undesirables."
El Mundo Deportivo Newspaper on Rangers after the Rangers game v Barcelona in the Nou Camp (Nov 07)
Full Article: "Don't come back to Barcelona" (Nov 07)

"The people in that CCTV footage acted like a pack of wolves. Whatever happened earlier there was no excuse for this level of violence. "
Assistant Chief Constable Justine Curran, the match commander during Rangers' shame in the UEFA Cup Final "Battle of Piccadilly" in Manchester (see link)

"The wife of a Rangers Supporters Club secretary from East Kilbride declared that she had been suffering from insomnia as a result of disturbing religious visions involving Johnston: “My blood is boiling. Is Mo Johnston going to run about Ibrox with his crucifix? I’ve though about nothing else all night.” David Miller, General Secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association was peddling an equally hard line: “I never thought in my wildest dreams that they would sign him. Why him above all? It’s a sad day for Rangers. There will be a lot of people handing in their season tickets. I don’t want to see a Roman Catholic at Ibrox. Rangers have always stood for one thing and the biggest majority of the support have been brought up with the idea of a true blue Rangers team. I thought they would sign a Catholic eventually, perhaps in three or four years time, but someone from the continent.”

Quotes from Not The View Fanzine

"There was no problem as far as [the English Players] Ray Wilkins, Chris Woods, Mark Walters, I and some others were concerned. But the Scottish players - Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson, Ally McCoist, John Brown and the rest - declined because they had received so many calls from friends telling them not to become involved.
"Jimmy Bell didn't want to become involved at all.
"Mo [Johnstone] roomed with Ally McCoist, as he had done for the national team, and it was Jimmy's practice to put fresh kit outside everyone's room for the next day.
"But he refused to do so for Mo, just leaving Ally's, forcing Mo to go down three flights of stairs to the kit room to fetch his gear."
Ex-Rangers Captain Terry Butcher's Biography on the bigotry at Ibrox when ex-Celt & Catholic Mo Johnstone joined them

I could go on all day. But to end, from one of our own: 

"....yes we've had some pretty rank poets over the years. Thomson was probably a Rangers fan in-waiting. Rule Britannia has no modern value and should be dumped in the dustbin of history. It celebrates sentiments and ideologies that have brought great shame on parts of 'our' collective British history. Anyone that thinks slavery is smart or justifiable or just a wind up should reconsider why this song still persists in parts of Neanderthal British life. Forget the 'Hokey Cokey' guff, Rule Britannia is a song that lords it over other races, celebrates institutionalised racism, and promotes racial supremacy and it should be banned. No correction it should not need to be banned. People should be so ashamed of its vile sentiments they would not knowingly sing it. Its hardly surprising that Rangers fans are the exception. No one else would want to sing this dated piece of imperialist cant. "
Stuart Cosgrove (Journalist)

Of course. They hated Catholics. All of them. I never understood why they were so filled with hatred. Several of us who were Catholic players and all foreigners were told upon arrival, never to bless ourselves at Ibrox as it could cause problems for us. I began to understand that Rangers was an extreme club very similar to Lazio here in Italy. You know, a right wing club with right wing supporters. I personally am not a practicing Catholic but my wife Anna Maria is, and it used to cause me pain when I heard what they said about my fellow Catholics. Lorenzo Amoruso and Jorg Albertz, just kept quiet and kept their heads down'

I was rapidly disillusioned by Rangers and especially their supporters. As part of my professional duties I was strongly encouraged to attend social functions which meant going to several Rangers supporters clubs. The last one I attended really brought home to me the fact that I had nothing in common with these people. The anti-Catholic feeling was venomous and the songs they sang that evening filled me with disgust. It was at that point I decided not to give my all for a club that condoned such behaviour. I went sick. Walter Smith knew the real reason for my 'illness' and he just ignored it. But I wasn't lying, I was sick, sick of Rangers and sick of what they stood for and that is the truth'

Marco Negri. Negri scored 23 goals in his first ten league games.

Jeez. I had thought for a moment that you played for Rangers Smarms!

Couple of Gordon Strachan classics...

on getting humped 4-0 at Southampton, clearly not wanting to be speaking to the journalist

Journalist "In what area do you think the other team were better today Gordon?"

WGS "Maistly in that big green rectangle oot there".

after another humping...

Journalist "Gordon can we have a quick word please?"

WGS (over his shoulder as he disappears down the tunnel) "Velocity".

Edited by babychunder

Couple of Gordon Strachan classics...

on getting humped 4-0 at Southampton, clearly not wanting to be speaking to the journalist

Journalist "In what area do you think the other team were better today Gordon?"

WGS "Maistly in that big green rectangle oot there".

after another humping...

Journalist "Gordon can we have a quick word please?"

WGS (over his shoulder as he disappears down the tunnel) "Velocity".

Gary Linekar - 'Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you play?'

Strachan - 'If I was English I'd top myself!'

Ye just reminded me of another one. Gary Lineker's just retired to go an play in Japan, Bob Wilson's interviewing him on Grandstand.

Bob: "Gary, how could you do it, turning your back on club and country to go and play for this Grampus8 outfit in Japan that no-one's ever heard of???"

Gary: "To tell the truth Bob, I always supported them as a boy".