European Adventure...

David123

Jeez - there's nothing in the forum rules that says you need agreement to ask a question!  If you don't like it, move on. 

The Rosenborg game was one I'll never forget.  The Minsk game was a harsh lesson in European football.  I don't think TW or the players are to blame for that loss, except perhaps the quality of the penalties, but penalties are not about skill, they are about nerve and luck.  I'd like to think that the results have given us the belief that we can qualify again next year, and improve on how we did this time.

Celtic came up against a similar obstacle in Karagandy.  Tactics they were not used to or ready for, cynical and calculated.  They were within 30 seconds of extra time, and potentially going out the same way.  I reckon Minsk and Karagandy were similar in terms of their ability, so I don't feel any shame in the loss we suffered.  I hope we are better prepared next time as a result.

some people shouldnt be allowed to start threads

Hey Grumpy, was yer port off this morning? or was it below 30 deg in yer retirement home? i believe the OP is just a bairn? Remember them? i think you had at least two, give the wee lad a break! Edited by THE LARK SAINT

it wasn't an adventure,more like an excursion and it was spoiled by over bragging fans thinking they are the best and over payed players thinking the job was in the bag and did not do what needed to be on the day....all in all, we were very unprofessional, like the season before! time to grow up folks and get real (the minsk return game was a shambles and for that reason alone, i can understand why some refuse to renew a season ticket

fuquing tubes, didnt expect a reply like that, did you s?

no harm will become you if you tell the truth, so be honest

take away your wee cherished fantasy,and what do you have left?

:huh:

penalties are not about skill, they are about nerve and luck.

this is why British teams lose so many penalty shootouts! Of course penalties are about skill, if you practice over and over and over again putting the penalty into the corners you'll never miss. There's pressure in everything footballers do and they don't let it effect them so I don't see why it suddenly affects them when they take penalties. Penalty taking is a skill in the same way crossing, shooting and passing are skills. Sorry for the rant MS- the penaltys being all about luck statement is a pet hate of mine!

No professional football player should miss the target from the penalty spot. But if the goalie saves it that is where the luck comes in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keepers are not just lucky. It is well known that they study clubs favoured penalty takers so to say that professsional

footballers should never fail to score a penalty is dismissing the part the keeper plays.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keepers are not just lucky. It is well known that they study clubs favoured penalty takers so to say that professsional

footballers should never fail to score a penalty is dismissing the part the keeper plays.

the Minsk GK couldnt of studied our PK takers as only 1 player had taken more than 1 Pen for saints since they signed if i remember right?

Anyway.................... to the wee laddie who started this thread............so glad you enjoyed the Euro campaign. Getting guys like you, with your enthusiasm and commitment on board is vital to Saints, and also important to this site. Good on ye, and keep it up.

Here's hoping that when you're as old and crusty as us, you'll be talking about the 2013 Euro campaign as just one of many that happened afterwards.

I may be mad, but I think we're in for a few years of top 6, the occasional cup run, a bit of Europe here and there. I think we MAY be looking at the end of the days of yo-yo, at least for a while.