Dundee Utd V Saints 27/1/14 Kick Off 19:45

rik2304

I don't see many games but this is the first I've seen this season since Rosenberg away that we have won.. 6 defeats and a draw since then. Good to see the team win, but there was a lot of luck used up... That Referee was useless. No control over the game, had he taken charge earlier on then the game would have been different. Saints deserved at least a goal after 15 mins, better chances but no conversions. United were all over Stevie May but he was in my opinion giving as good as he got. We did not deserve the goal but as luck runs you take it. From where I was sitting united should have had at least one penalty but then again from where I was sitting the 2 defenders marking May should have been booked 10 mins after the game started. Not a failure in blue tonight. If I was to have a go at anyone out would be Wright for his sending off. bit concerned about Eastons sub bit hope he's back soon. Could I be wrong thinking he could be good enough for left back slot for Scotland? He looked more assured than Robertson until he was injured. May for me..ploughed a lone furrow ran his arse to the ground and kept going. To boot he scored albeit a horrendous mistake by the keeper.

Very fair summary Lossie.  I did not make the game but spoke to a few who were.  One thing I would ask you to clarify.  You reckon the ref should have 'taken charge' earlier, I would have thought a game with no bookings till the 70 min (aprox) then 6 in the next 15 mins! did he not lose control of the match in the final quarter?

The managerial spat...nothing much in this.  I'm surprised this does not happen more often tbh.  I sure both will shake on it at the next opportunity.

Very fair summary Lossie.  I did not make the game but spoke to a few who were.  One thing I would ask you to clarify.  You reckon the ref should have 'taken charge' earlier, I would have thought a game with no bookings till the 70 min (aprox) then 6 in the next 15 mins! did he not lose control of the match in the final quarter?

The managerial spat...nothing much in this.  I'm surprised this does not happen more often tbh.  I sure both will shake on it at the next opportunity.

How do you know there wasn't much in it?  You've just said you weren't even in the ground!

How do you know there wasn't much in it?  You've just said you weren't even in the ground!

Well jhq, over the course of the last few years I purchased a Radio, a television, a personal computer, an ipad and a smart phone.  In addition my employer has allowed me the use of a computer through the day.  From these technical wonders I am able to witness the entire spat and hear and read interviews from some of those involved.  If you saw or heard something from the Jerry Kerr stand which will add to my limited sources, by all means enlighten me? :roll:

Well jhq, over the course of the last few years I purchased a Radio, a television, a personal computer, an ipad and a smart phone. In addition my employer has allowed me the use of a computer through the day. From these technical wonders I am able to witness the entire spat and hear and read interviews from some of those involved. If you saw or heard something from the Jerry Kerr stand which will add to my limited sources, by all means enlighten me? :roll:

Yer well named!

Well jhq, over the course of the last few years I purchased a Radio, a television, a personal computer, an ipad and a smart phone.  In addition my employer has allowed me the use of a computer through the day.  From these technical wonders I am able to witness the entire spat and hear and read interviews from some of those involved.  If you saw or heard something from the Jerry Kerr stand which will add to my limited sources, by all means enlighten me? :roll:

And did you manage to hear what was said on any of yer gizmos?  No, you didn't.  You're just determined to defend MacNamara at every turn.  I have no idea what was said either, but I'm not the one trying to pass judgement on it.  What I would say is that your manager continually behaves like a wee girl when things don't go his way.

Well jhq, over the course of the last few years I purchased a Radio, a television, a personal computer, an ipad and a smart phone. In addition my employer has allowed me the use of a computer through the day. From these technical wonders I am able to witness the entire spat and hear and read interviews from some of those involved. If you saw or heard something from the Jerry Kerr stand which will add to my limited sources, by all means enlighten me? :roll:

Maybe ODAB has shared his secret footage with Smarmy, like in the cifci referee assault case :P

Just watched the BBC highlights, which showed a bit more than than the youtube ones.

The commentators are convinced that the first penalty shout was good.  Alagui knocks the ball forward and lunges sidewise into the defender.  Of course there was feckin' contact!!  It's not dissimilar to Robben getting the ball, turning his back on the defender and then stopping abruptly so the defender bumps into his back.  It's the next worse thing to diving in my book.  NEVER a penalty, and well done to the ref.

Spoony on GMS was awkward, but not a pen for me, he got the ball first.

Clancy on Gauld would, to Gauld, have felt like a cynical trip, but I think Clancy just slipped.  

Seen them all given on other days, but none of them had any kind of cynicism or malice in them, and in my opinion the ref got all three right (considering he played advantage for the Gauld one, so he did recognise it as a foul - albeit not worthy of a card).  MacNamara insinuating that Saints are dirty is simply pathetic.  As Lomas would say, one thing Saints definitely are is an 'honest bunch of lads'.

TW is a legend.

Edit - the BBC highlights suggest that the early shot from GMS went through cup tie's legs and hit the post.  Am i blind or is that complete fantasy?  Looked like it was a decent block by Dave to me.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Were we fortunate to last night?  Mackay Steven and Ciftci missed to golden chances before May scored a wonder goal. Yes we were fortunate. But you take you good fortune when it comes along because we have games where we were unfortunate to lose points. Did TW go for the win? I do not believe he did. May was far too often isolated up front. Witherspoon Dunne Millar McDonald and O’Halloran were playing defensively. Who was supposed to be supporting May?

When we got the ball down and played I thought Witherspoon Dunne and O’Halloran all played well. I also thought all three carried out their defensive duties very well. Dunne and Witherspoon tackling was outstanding.

The majority of their attacks were coming down our right and when TW switched O’Halloran to the right his paced nullified their speed down that side. Hence my surprised when he took him off. Croft did ok going forward when he came on but he could not handle Roberson’s speed. The last 10 minutes was heart wrenching stuff as all their attacks came down that side.

Were we fortunate to win HELL NO we just played well as a team and got a great result.

Edited by Inchcolm

Great game to watch -pretty sure the blood pressure went through the roof tho --- Read earlier about Referees taking "early action" rather than allowing the game to go on without a card . Great believer that the refs should take action as soon as possible when a really bad challenge goes in early doors.

It sets out that there will be fairness all the way through the game and fans dont get frustrated by sillier bookings later on in the game that are less dangerous than some that were allowed to go earlier.

Thought John Rankin was a lucky guy that TV was not showing last nights game -his fly kick at the Saints defender near the Saints fans was worthy of a sending off offence YET Crawford Allan who was close to the play seemed to ignore it BUT thats certain refs for you -some Will and some Wont.

Good to see Tommy W hold his interview after the game YET Jackie macnamarra chose to leave it to Simon Donnelly WHO was always going to take his managers view. But Hey Ho onwards and upwards.

April fool is next month cagey!!

Well if you are not happy with Chris Millar at right back we always have Spoony who played that position a few times with Hibs.

Tommy & Steve Brown have played a blinder building a half decent pool. Who could have foreseen the horrific injury list we have had.

Well if you are not happy with Chris Millar at right back we always have Spoony who played that position a few times with Hibs.

Tommy & Steve Brown have played a blinder building a half decent pool. Who could have foreseen the horrific injury list we have had.

Mackay can go back to right back if G Miler is out. Bring in Clancy.

If Easton is out then Calum can play left back depending how fit he is. Streeves can play. Seems reasonably solid.

Were we fortunate to last night?  Mackay Steven and Ciftci missed to golden chances before May scored a wonder goal. Yes we were fortunate. But you take you good fortune when it comes along because we have games where we were unfortunate to lose points. Did TW go for the win? I do not believe he did. May was far too often isolated up front. Witherspoon Dunne Millar McDonald and O’Halloran were playing defensively. Who was supposed to be supporting May?

When we got the ball down and played I thought Witherspoon Dunne and O’Halloran all played well. I also thought all three carried out their defensive duties very well. Dunne and Witherspoon tackling was outstanding.

The majority of their attacks were coming down our right and when TW switched O’Halloran to the right his paced nullified their speed down that side. Hence my surprised when he took him off. Croft did ok going forward when he came on but he could not handle Roberson’s speed. The last 10 minutes was heart wrenching stuff as all their attacks came down that side.

Were we fortunate to win HELL NO we just played well as a team and got a great result.

I like most of your argument, but I can't support calling that a wonder goal. It was a sclaffed shot going wide that the keeper turned in. Still a goal though, and that's what matters

Smarmy Arab, I believe the referee should have taken a greater control of the game straight away and the cards were out later than they should have been and by that time the game had become the bad tempered affair it was going to be. The fouls that were committed by both sides that went unpunished were atrocious, and I think that United got the rub of the green off the Ref in the 1st half, we did in the 2nd.

I have to say now I know that TW was defending his players then if that's what he is doing then its an honorable sending off really. JMc should not be slagging off the opposition whilst the opposition is 5 yards away...

Good battling by Saints, scrappy win but we deserve a bit of luck for a change.