Stewards And Police Today

THE LARK SAINT

obviously i read it different from you, i don't see that the post justifies it, he is just telling everyone thats how it is, at every club in every town, and i think most of the guys that go every week are a credit to the club as far as i can see.

the bother happens at the popular matches, when all the young teams mates come along for a pish up and a day out, much the same as when when the rest of the saints fans that don't usually go turn up.

So what was his prerogative in saying 'that's how it is in every town'? It's similar to a school pupil failing a test and telling his mum not to make a big deal out of it because one of his mates failed it as well. Of course it's a justification.

I agree with the rest of your post. I'm not really keen on getting into an argument with you about this because you're clearly a good guy. I've been on the 208 a few times and I appreciate what you do for the club.

like i said, "funny how opinions differ"

still thought it was a top post,

as for your reply re banning him, there was no justification for that.

Excellent. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I, so there's no real point in continually going around in circles here. We won't change our minds.

All the best.

Of course it needs to be worried about, letting off smoke bombs, ripping up chairs are acts of vandalism and illegal behaviour, which will harm our clubs good name. it needs to stop, its all very well and good saying it's what happened 30 years ago, so did leg breaking challenges which weren't fouls, not any more. Footballs evolved and so has supporting the teams!

Our support constantly gets slagged by the media and supporters of other teams, yet here we are creating divisions amongst our own support. We are small enough in numbers as it is without all this arguing.

My personal thoughts on the subject are that there have been several occassions whereby this "Young Team" have acted in an inappropriate matter, mainly the Semi Final last weekend where the seat was thrown on the pitch and their was fighting in the stand, however we have to be careful not to blow their actions completely out of proportion. Like it or not, Pyro is currently the "fashion" amongst the younger generation of football fans that attend football matches these days. There have been instances this season whereby almost every club in the SPFL Premiership have had issues with their supporters setting off pyro. The Police and the courts are currently coming down heavily on pyro, with heavy fines and banning order being handed out and I would imagine that due to this the fad for "pyro" will fade out very quickly.

The majority of incidents involving the "Young Team" have happened at high profile matches this season, for example the European game, Semi Final and Cup game against Forfar. It not excusable, however at events like these whereby their is a large gathering of people, whether that be a football game, rugby match or concert there are always going to be individuals who consume far too much alcohol and make an arse of themselves. I believe that the incidents at the European home games (pitch invaders, setting off of pyro) were dealt with by the Police, the pitch invaders at the semi final were apprehended and those who set off the pyro and firecraker on Saturday were also arrested. The people who are commiting these acts are not getting away with them scot-free.

We have to be very careful that we dont drive all of the young lads away. I know a fair few of them and the vast majority have been attending Saints game home and away for many years and love the clubs as much as any of us. Believe it or not, there are quite alot of these younger lads mates who support other clubs, that are attending Saints games. For example, I believe the individual who set off the firecracker on Saturday was a Hearts fan and one of the indivdiuals who got arrested at the Rosenborg game was a Celtic fan. I am not trying to make excuses for any of this behaviour, however we again have to be careful that we dont tar all of the "Young Team" with the same brush. Personally, I feel that at the run of the mill home games, they have added a much needed injection of atmosphere and have been well behaved. The problems seem to arise when we travel away and alcohol is consumed and fans of other clubs tag along for the day out. You dont have to be a Psychologist to work out that when a group of young lads come together, particulary when alcohol is involved, there are going to be problems.

People who are saying we are going to get fined by the SFA/SPFL are getting carried away with themselves. They are not going to fine Saints for some daft 16 year old letting off a smokebomb. They have far more important things to worry about, like investigating Celtic fans smashing up numerous seats at Fir Park and the continual bigoted singing that goes on at matches involving Celtic and SevCo. If Saints were truly worried about the actions of the "Young Team" they would be issuing statements and being pro-active in banning them, however this is not happening.

We have had a great season so far, beating Rosenborg, getting to the semi final of the League Cup, in the Quarters of the Scottish, sitting in the top six in the league, we have one of the hottest prospect in British football in out team and have an Under 20's team who are doing great. Lets not get ground down by a few daft young laddies letting off a smoke bomb, lets concerntrate on all getting behind the team we love and making it a real season to remember!

My last Saints game at Forfar must have been 25 plus years ago. The game was boring and we headed back to Perth on our supporters bus. The "young team bus" in today's terms. We stopped at a pub in Coupar Angus. Then it all started to go wrong. The local Coupar Angus boys  had been drinking all day and a bus load of forty of us packing out their quiet pub didnt go down well. But fisty cuffs were at a minimum 'cause we were about  six to one and we had some honour in those days. Funniest thing is the Stanley guys stealing the pub television when we were all arguing with the Angus boys. On the way back to Perth after being chucked out, the pub must have reported the television stolen and most likely on our supporter bus to Perth Police Station. As soon as we hit Bridgend, we were met with a police road stop about where the health club was (swingers city). But the funniest thing was the Keystone Cops moment ! As the police came through the front bus door (probably led by Murie and Bonthrone  :wink: ) we were all scarperring out the emergency exit at the back and to the best of my knowledge nobody got knicked that night. Dunno what happened to the TV. Wee Hodgy probably has it in his spare bedroom  :cool:  TRUE STORY.

Anyway, the point Im trying to make is that..."young lads" will be lads and if it was during the days of the internet....it would have been a shock and horror story on here.  

Though we we were a bit out of order in our day, anyway who scared an old lady or upset a family would have got an "internal" slap. So though very glad to hear we have a young and boisterous team supporting us, sad to hear the arguing with families and older saints supporting fans. AND in many years as a yooung lad supporting Saints, I never saw anyone "spit" on or at anyone. That was for the coags twenty miles down the road to get on with.      

Footballs evolved and so has supporting the teams!

Supporting our team has not evolved, it's the same as it has been for 100+ years, football is tribal for some, always has been and always will be.

There will always be bother at fitba because of its tribalism/rivalry.

and before anyone gets on their horse, i am not saying it's right, just saying that it's fact.

from amateur to junior to professional fitba there is trouble or antics that could lead to trouble because of the tribalism effect.

That goes for every country in the world, not just oor wee toon or oor wee band of supporters.

And it is a myth that these fans don't love their club, they love their clubs as much as we do, obviously there are some who don't care but the vast majority love their clubs.

It will still be the same in 50years time.

We have to be very careful that we dont drive all of the young lads away. 

Whilst I somewhat agree with your post, you also have to consider that this behaviour will drive other fans away. My friend's child said after the Forfar game that he didn't want to go back to watch the football after he was terrified by what went on at the semi-final and then with the firecracker at the Forfar game. That really saddened me that a great family club like Saints might lose young fans and their fathers going to games as a result of the actions of a few idiots.

I am a lot more concerned about losing fans like that than a few idiots who are more concerned about having a day out than the football club.

Partly agree with Aitchy, but fighting amongst with fellow fans and disrupting the days out of families and seniors who have made no effort to interfere with young team isn't acceptable.

There are two areas where a line is crossed for me, with that being one of them. The other being thinking you are hard as nails when you aren't.

Other than that, things like being a bit pished or generally boisterous is fine. 

Athens you are still missing the point, do you really think that in this day and age Saints fans could steal a tv out a pub without it cropping up in the Sun? Also these days there would be cctv watching you all pile out the bus etc. 

Anyone who thinks times haven't changed is a moron, and our public is full of them.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

Whilst I somewhat agree with your post, you also have to consider that this behaviour will drive other fans away. My friend's child said after the Forfar game that he didn't want to go back to watch the football after he was terrified by what went on at the semi-final and then with the firecracker at the Forfar game. That really saddened me that a great family club like Saints might lose young fans and their fathers going to games as a result of the actions of a few idiots.

I am a lot more concerned about losing fans like that than a few idiots who are more concerned about having a day out than the football club.

That is spot on. A lot of these 'young lads' may go to a lot of games for now.....but, probably, a lot of them will drift away. I am also concerned that their behaviour will affect older supporters who my choose to stop taking their kids. What happens if a child gets injured by a firecracker? Would you be happy that you took a "it will always happen' stance? ALL OF THESE DEVICES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SERIOUS HARM......

Years ago, we grew up getting slapped by our parents, getting the belt at school etc etc....parents can get prosecuted these days, if a teacher dares lay even a finger on a pupil they are in deep shit.....just because it used to be a certain way doesn't condone it, regardless of whether we feel kids would benefit from a wee slap on the erse or the belt at school....

Things HAVE evolved compared tae thirty years ago.as far as pyro is concerned anyway.! I remember walking down Melville street after a dundee game when the "Young Team " of their day opened fire with replica pistols on the dundee fans.! these things looked and sounded like the real deal. One polis van arrived after several minutes and lifted one guy fae the Corinna who got fined a fiver on the monday for Breach of the Peace.! Could ye imagine what the police response would be nowadays.!p.s. He got banned from travelling on his away game bus the "Wine Chariot" for one game. for getting caught.!

Edited by croc

Partly agree with Aitchy, but fighting amongst with fellow fans and disrupting the days out of families and seniors who have made no effort to interfere with young team isn't acceptable.

There are two areas where a line is crossed for me, with that being one of them. The other being thinking you are hard as nails when you aren't.

Other than that, things like being a bit pished or generally boisterous is fine. 

Athens you are still missing the point, do you really think that in this day and age Saints fans could steal a tv out a pub without it cropping up in the Sun? Also these days there would be cctv watching you all pile out the bus etc. 

Anyone who thinks times haven't changed is a moron, and our public is full of them.

you are still missing the point, do you really think that in this day and age Saints fans could steal a tv out a pub without it cropping up in the Sun?........No they wouldnt manage it anyway (Stanley Mob were like the original "Hustlers") 

Also these days there would be cctv watching you all pile out the bus etc.........................Was gonna say the Stanley mob all had false moustaches as a disguise but on thinkig back they were scarely real :wink:

Geez, lighten up :roll: 

Things HAVE evolved compared tae thirty years ago.as far as pyro is concerned anyway.! I remember walking down Melville street after a dundee game when the "Young Team " of their day opened fire with replica pistols on the dundee fans.! these things looked and sounded like the real deal. One polis van arrived after several minutes and lifted one guy fae the Corinna who got fined a fiver on the monday for Breach of the Peace.! Could ye imagine what the police response would be nowadays.!

LAUGH OUT LOUD.

i meant following your team/town has not evolved mentally, its still the same tribal emotions, and it always will be.

we could all tell scores of stories and all heard stories from previous generations of supporters.

My last Saints game at Forfar must have been 25 plus years ago. The game was boring and we headed back to Perth on our supporters bus. The "young team bus" in today's terms. We stopped at a pub in Coupar Angus. Then it all started to go wrong. The local Coupar Angus boys  had been drinking all day and a bus load of forty of us packing out their quiet pub didnt go down well. But fisty cuffs were at a minimum 'cause we were about  six to one and we had some honour in those days. Funniest thing is the Stanley guys stealing the pub television when we were all arguing with the Angus boys. On the way back to Perth after being chucked out, the pub must have reported the television stolen and most likely on our supporter bus to Perth Police Station. As soon as we hit Bridgend, we were met with a police road stop about where the health club was (swingers city). But the funniest thing was the Keystone Cops moment ! As the police came through the front bus door (probably led by Murie and Bonthrone  :wink: ) we were all scarperring out the emergency exit at the back and to the best of my knowledge nobody got knicked that night. Dunno what happened to the TV. Wee Hodgy probably has it in his spare bedroom  :cool:  TRUE STORY.

Anyway, the point Im trying to make is that..."young lads" will be lads and if it was during the days of the internet....it would have been a shock and horror story on here.  

Though we we were a bit out of order in our day, anyway who scared an old lady or upset a family would have got an "internal" slap. So though very glad to hear we have a young and boisterous team supporting us, sad to hear the arguing with families and older saints supporting fans. AND in many years as a yooung lad supporting Saints, I never saw anyone "spit" on or at anyone. That was for the coags twenty miles down the road to get on with.

33745595.jpg

Jesus wept! We really have some ridiculously petty oversensitive fans.

Seriously get over yourselves.

We will be having threads in 'Saints chat' on "Broken Britain" and youth recidivism next.

Its a local pub and a 2nd division football stadium we are talking about here, not the Bullingdon Club.

What happened to football being a way of bringing everyone together.

If your such a middle class hero, why don't you hug a hoody or hug a HOOLIE!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

So what was his prerogative in saying 'that's how it is in every town'? It's similar to a school pupil failing a test and telling his mum not to make a big deal out of it because one of his mates failed it as well. Of course it's a justification.

I agree with the rest of your post. I'm not really keen on getting into an argument with you about this because you're clearly a good guy. I've been on the 208 a few times and I appreciate what you do for the club.

take your tongue out his arse.

Forums are all about opinions and the last thing anyone should be calling for is censorship. When the pyro inevitably stops you'll be back on here moaning about something else, mark my words.

take your tongue out his arse.

Forums are all about opinions and the last thing anyone should be calling for is censorship. When the pyro inevitably stops you'll be back on here moaning about something else, mark my words.

Nothing wrong with being nice. Obviously it's 'arse-licking' when I do it though. Getting bored of the 'old man clique' on here. It's tedious.

I've not even mentioned pyro in this thread. I don't really have a problem with pyro. The only time I did was during the European matches when the club specifically asked supporters to refrain from using it. I'm more concerned with the reports of thuggish behaviour outwith the stadium. I don't think I'll find something else to moan about, considering I've been on this forum for almost 9 years and haven't moaned about anything until less than a year ago.