Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

Norn Irn traditionally pay peanuts. I assume O'Neill is going for more cash in reward for qualification, which brings a huge payout (gigantic by Norn Irn standards). Surely he'll get it. If he goes, in normal times Tommy might have been in with a shout. He would not be in the top three by reputation/experience, but surely would be in terms of those likely to take the job, full time anyway.  But now  they have qualified, that opens the field up to many others who would take the job now even for peanuts. Would be very surprised if Tommy ended up there this time round.

O'Neill will certainly stay until the Euros. He's contracted to for one thing, and It's one of the biggest shop windows in football: a chance to shine with no burden of expectation. (And it's nice to see a manager who picks Scottish Premiership players do so well too!)

At the moment Tommy must be the heir apparent. Great record at club level, knows the Ulster game, and already has experience in the international setup as player and coach. It would be a cracking job for him and I hope that one day he gets it.

Yes this would be great for the fans, but it would give Tommy less leverage when it comes to negotiating an improved contract.
If wee Steve knows that Tommy wants to stay, and he know that he is going to stay regardless of any other interested shown, then there's no real need to offer the guy an improved contract when he still has 2 years left on his current deal. If, though, there is the likelihood of another club coming in and bidding for his services, then he knows he needs to up his game and open the wallet a bit more. Keep him sweet.

It's business. Nice guy or not, if these new contract rumours are true, then Wright's public reaction (or lack thereof) to these United rumours will have no doubt earned him a nice solid chunk of extra cash each month from the Brooners. It's just a job remember.

Whilst I am delighted to see Tommy gaining a better paid deal out of this saga (goodness knows he deserves it) don't lets fall over backwards praising SB too much.  He may well be doing the right thing and keeping us all happy for the moment but the higher the salary and the longer the contract Tommy is on equals a bigger compensation settlement next time a "bigger" club comes calling. 

Whilst I am delighted to see Tommy gaining a better paid deal out of this saga (goodness knows he deserves it) don't lets fall over backwards praising SB too much.  He may well be doing the right thing and keeping us all happy for the moment but the higher the salary and the longer the contract Tommy is on equals a bigger compensation settlement next time a "bigger" club comes calling. 

And isn't that a great bit of business on behalf of the club and worthy of praise?

Either way, still acting in the best interests of the club surely? 

The only way this could be seen to be a bad deal is if Tommy is sacked this season - a new contract would mean that the club would have to pay much higher compensation. But frankly Tommy would have to take us to the bottom of the league setup and I still think we owe him a job.

Edited by Brogan

Either way, still acting in the best interests of the club surely? 

The only way this could be seen to be a bad deal is if Tommy is sacked this season - a new contract would mean that the club would have to pay much higher compensation. But frankly Tommy would have to take us to the bottom of the league setup and I still think we owe him a job.

I was thinking more about Tommy rather than the club in this instance.

It would have been if SB had thought about it before he ran the risk of losing Tommy to DU.  Then I would have given him 10 out of 10 instead of perhaps 6.

So you would prefer the Mike Ashley approach where you tie up a manager on 10 year contracts and run the risk of having to remain with a manager that the Club could not afford to pay off.  

it is incredible that some folk on here can't praise anything that the Browns do for Saints.

I wasn't praising SB at all in that post, to be honest. If he could have kept Tommy on his existing contract until it was coming round for renewal time then I have no doubt that he would have done. Why pay more than you have to, you know?

It's Tommy that's played the situation well.

So you would prefer the Mike Ashley approach where you tie up a manager on 10 year contracts and run the risk of having to remain with a manager that the Club could not afford to pay off.  

it is incredible that some folk on here can't praise anything that the Browns do for Saints.

No I would prefer to see a man who has worked his socks off for Saints rewarded for his efforts simply for those efforts and not because somebody else nudges the Browns elbows and makes them more aware of what a gem they have.. 

I have no problem whatsoever with the Browns efforts on behalf of Saints in general terms, we are lucky to have them.  I simply think they could have more appreciative of Tommy's endeavours in the past few years.

No I would prefer to see a man who has worked his socks off for Saints rewarded for his efforts simply for those efforts and not because somebody else nudges the Browns elbows and makes them more aware of what a gem they have.. 

I have no problem whatsoever with the Browns efforts on behalf of Saints in general terms, we are lucky to have them.  I simply think they could have more appreciative of Tommy's endeavours in the past few years.

But they have been appreciative. He was rewarded with a better contract after the cup final, even though his existing one still had time to run and, of course, I presume he'd have bonus entitlements too.

I'm not sure I understand your argument, which seems to be that we should have given Tommy such a lucrative contract that Dundee United would never have come near. But where does that stop? Should we pay him even more now in case Aberdeen or Rangers come in for him in two years' time?

These contract arrangements are simply down to supply and demand. Tommy's in demand, so we have to pay up to keep him.

Who is to say that wasn't the case anyway, but the Dundee Utd thing simply forced the publicity?

And that bigger compensation payment would benefit SJFC. So why should we not be praising Steve Brown for doing the right thing for Saints exactly?

But they have been appreciative. He was rewarded with a better contract after the cup final, even though his existing one still had time to run and, of course, I presume he'd have bonus entitlements too.

I'm not sure I understand your argument, which seems to be that we should have given Tommy such a lucrative contract that Dundee United would never have come near. But where does that stop? Should we pay him even more now in case Aberdeen or Rangers come in for him in two years' time?

These contract arrangements are simply down to supply and demand. Tommy's in demand, so we have to pay up to keep him.

I am clearly losing my touch.  I thought my point was quite clear, its a pity that the motivating factor to improve Tommy's contract is someone elses interest in him.  Whatever new contract he was given after the cup final is now seen to be wanting despite being little more than a year old.  I never mentioned giving him such a good contract that United would not have considered it worth their while looking at him still less did I suggest the Mike Ashley approach.  (I know that was not you but others seem to have read that into my comments)

There is nothing wrong with what SB is doing, he is looking after the club's interests and Tommy is benefiting as a result I just happen to think it would be better the other way round.

I am clearly losing my touch.  I thought my point was quite clear, its a pity that the motivating factor to improve Tommy's contract is someone elses interest in him.  Whatever new contract he was given after the cup final is now seen to be wanting despite being little more than a year old.  I never mentioned giving him such a good contract that United would not have considered it worth their while looking at him still less did I suggest the Mike Ashley approach.  (I know that was not you but others seem to have read that into my comments)

There is nothing wrong with what SB is doing, he is looking after the club's interests and Tommy is benefiting as a result I just happen to think it would be better the other way round.

So at what point over the last 12-18 months should SB have made Tommy an improved offer then, in your opinion?

as a saints fan since 1974 and a long term forum member I am driven to make the following comments.

I was there when mr brown senior saved the club from oblivion and will be eternally grateful

I think tommy wright is entitled to do the best for himself and his family. football is a fickle trade and if he can get a better deal with saints as a result of all this then good luck to him. Whatever happens I would like to thank him for several of my best saints days ever - the Aberdeen semi - 'who the tut is stevie may, the final when the goals came from two of our most hardworking players, the rubbing of sevco's nose in the dirt, giving united a flying start and then destroying them, and putting 5 past the league leaders.

Whatever happens thanks tommy and steve brown for bringing us such happiness and good luck in the future - whatever that holds

Edited by malcolm

Tommy signed a three year contract 14 months ago, just months after the Scottish Cup win, he's not even halfway through that contract so why on Earth would we have offered him a new one? He arguably done nothing last season to warrant an increased wage. I imagine over the next 12 months we'd be offering him a new deal anyway tbh, but we've moved it forward due to the United interest, and hes probably got a bit more bargaining power with that interest. Nobody, either Brown or Wright, has done anything that I could say was "wrong" or that tbh, bizarre people are having a pop at the chairman for this, genuinely expected people would praise him for telling a bigger club to **** off despite the money they'd offer and then moving to tie down a key asset.

Also Rotherham have appointed a new manager, so the speculation with that post seemed a bit pointless.