St Johnstone V Spartak Trnava 31St July

norwichsaint

Spot on Mikey, Wright was fortunate not to be sent off, and his aimless hoofs did his team mates no favours.

It's getting far too familiar with him now.

Fed up him shitting a brick then launching a 65 yard ball up the park to no one then having our midfield caught behind play.

You're right in saying that we shouldn't expect a lot from him in terms of distribution.  Tonight though was the poorest I've seen him play defensively for a long time.  And he could easily have been sent off tonight.

He was waiting for the opportunity to get that peroxide headed wee shite after his petulant foul a few minutes before. He got him

He was waiting for the opportunity to get that peroxide headed wee shite after his petulant foul a few minutes before. He got him

He certainly got him Ed.  If the ref had a different angle he would have walked.  Was it Wright that clattered the peroxide boy just before his booking, that looked a naughty one too!  The peroxide boy was a tidy player though.

He certainly got him Ed.  If the ref had a different angle he would have walked.  Was it Wright that clattered the peroxide boy just before his booking, that looked a naughty one too!  The peroxide boy was a tidy player though.

Agreed. I was waiting to see the colour of the card. He clattered him, then stood on him

You're right in saying that we shouldn't expect a lot from him in terms of distribution.  Tonight though was the poorest I've seen him play defensively for a long time.  And he could easily have been sent off tonight.

I know.  He was very lucky not to walk.  That guy was the best player on view tonight though - terrific technique.

I can quite easily, we set up too attacking and left our defence exposed against a side filled with pace and technical ability. We had O'Halloran playing through the centre, Caddis has played there this season and performed, he'd also have offered more protection. TW decided not to use him at all. Miller was poor last week and we instantly looked better when Scobbie was beside Wright and Dave was at right back, he decided to continue with the same back line. Second half last week MacLean was completely isolated until we got some midfielder runners on, he played him up front on his own again but negated to include any midfield runners. Blaming Steve Brown for that is utter ****ing shite frankly, as I bet you barely even mentioned him last week

I will give you Millar being poor if was last week also. I would of gone with scobie but is he fit enough yet in the managers eyes I don't know? Probably the right call

As for setting up too attacking na, they are a bang average team you make then sound like Germany.

What let us down was simply tiredness and having to patch an 11 together.

Why would I of mentioned brown last week? The impact of threadbare nature of the squad was not as apparent last week, it was tonight though

Well that was hard to watch and I really didn't go in to the match overly confident due to our press coverage this week with players basically suggesting Lucerne were the big job and that spartak were lesser opponents.

4-5-1 was a mistake and allowed them to dominate the midfield and cut off supply to McLean, who was basically crowded out with no one there for the knock downs or flick ons. Moving O'Halloran up with McLean worked for the start of 2nd half, until they negated it with their off-side trap which stifled the game until they scored the 2nd goal. The combination of Miller and Croft is not very inspiring as they seem to be pedestrian and liable to getting caught out of position often.

The sub's weren't used to the best effect considering the meagre squad we have, and i would have preferred to see Caddis on for Millar as he has a bit more drive than McDonald. Kane looked okay but picked up a booking before even touching the ball. Croft looked flat footed and short on ideas.

The manager will have learned from tonight and we know what to do next week. May and Anderson would certainly make a difference to our otherwise pedestrian team.

I have a general uneasy feeling about what's going on at McD Park at the moment and think it will result in the fairytale we have enjoyed over the last 12 months coming to an end in poor style. The manager who has delivered our first ever silverware is being treated appallingly and I feel the chairman allowed the David Goodwillie trial to go on to drum up season ticket sales with no intention of offering him a deal.

Hoping to dig in for the next chapter next week. COYS

Poor performance but beaten by a team with more pace and technical ability. Says it all that even with 5 in midfield we could not gain any control, there was a lack of the energy that was evident against Lucerne (and in the cup final) and the quality of distribution from the back and ball retention / passing was abissmal; Difficult to put a finger on the reasons but hopefully TW will enlighten us and set out to address before next week. Curious re the miller substitution - he did not look injured and his body language on departing suggested it was tactical. thought Kane put himself about but jury still out on his ability to perform at this level - time will tell. Thought TW should have given caddis a run - his drive might have helped the cause.

Easy to be critical but the team has been outperforming and a dip at some point was inevitable - just a Shane it was tonight,

What remains clear to me is the need to bolster the squad. It is patently obvious that the bench is far too thin on experience. A fit muzz would certainly make a difference but there has to be a question mark over his ability get back to his previous performance level. TW has earned the right to be supported and SB should do so now. The unresolved positions of Tw and May is also a concern. the best offer should be put on the table for May on take it or leave it basis - if he rejects we should aim to cash in now. I would be more concerned re tw - in my view the best manager since Ormond and is a perfect fit for this club, a first class communicator and gets the financial imperative dynamic. If he cannot be secured on an extended contract now what message does that send to the team? times SB and his board get things sorted out and communicate to supporters - hopefully more positive tones than the recent negative nonsense that deflated most of us. Glad I got this off my chest.

Edited by Kinnoull Kicker

My dad, who has been to two saints games questioned why there was a fat footballer on the pitch.

Are you trying to suggest that his lack of Saints game experience is the reason he doesn't understand or just generally mocking his attendance at Saints games?

A very deflated performance from Saints tonight and I'm hoping for some sort of miracle next week to see us through to the next round of the competition.

I would like to say I sat beside the most enthusiastic supporters I've ever met at a game and I really enjoyed their company tonight.

That was the first competitive match I've seen this season, and I've been left feeling pretty concerned. A Slovakian posted on this thread earlier that the general consensus amongst their fans is that Celtic are the only decent team in Scotland, with the rest resorting to hoof-ball. I felt secretly smug, as I usually do in these instances, fully expecting us to once again prove ourselves in impressive fashion. However, we played in exactly the way which the Spartak supporters would have expected. That really disappoints me. We are so much better than what we showed today.

We started really brightly, with some nice link-up play between MacLean, O'Halloran, Wotherspoon and Croft. Our opponents soon began to exert themselves on the game and really dominated us physically. We were soon struggling to put more than two passes together, and it was only going to be a matter of time before we conceded. We regrouped in the second half and came out significantly stronger. Their second goal was fairly against the run of play. You have to feel for Scott Brown who had been half-decent beforehand (not 'brilliant'), but it proved to be a catastrophic error. Fair play to him for not letting his head drop after that. I haven't seen enough of him yet, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

It was very concerning to see how toothless we looked without Stevie May. Another striker isn't a luxury, it's a necessity. Today's performance indicates nothing other than a totally blatant requirement to get a couple of players in. Our lack of strength in depth is hugely alarming. If Steve Brown still refuses to budge, I would hardly be surprised if Tommy ended up leaving. It's really appalling fare from the chairman. I simply don't believe that we have no money to spend on new players for the first pre-season in living memory, following our most successful season of all-time. Give it a rest, Steve.

I can't see us winning next week, but at least our beloved captain has given us a bit of hope. You never know..

Edited by The Real Saints