Joe Carr Passes

Abernethy Saint

Remember him well when my Dad took me to Muirton Park.

His talent was he could take a corner kick and lay it on the centre forwatd's head ( striker to the younger element) .

Alex (or Alec as he was known at Saints) scored many a glancing header from the near post into the far corner of the net due to Joe's left peg.

R.I.P.

As Abernethy says joined Saints in 53 from Junior football , Saints was his only Senior Team and loved his time with us had only good things to say about his time with Saints , he was a tricky wee left winger saw him a good few times, if memory serves right Saints gave him a testimonial 62/63.

Rip Joe a true Saints Legend.

Sad to hear of Joe Carr's passing.  I remember watching him many times during the 1950's and early 1960's and although he was regarded as a left winger most of his goal scoring successes came after an inspired move by the then manager Johnny Pattillo to play him at inside left.  He was also an expert penalty taker (a bit like Mark Treanor in later years) and I doubt if he ever missed a penalty.  There was a Saints v Hibs game at Easter Road in the early 1960's and  prior to that game, Ronnie Simpson the Hibs goalie (before he moved to Celtic), had saved  every penalty he had faced that season and Joe had scored from every one of his spot kicks for Saints.  The inevitable happened, Saints were awarded a penalty and, despite a fair of gamesmanship from Simpson, Joe kept his cool and slotted it away.

A well deserved member of Saints' Hall of Fame and may he rest in peace.

Sad sad news.  A great servant to Saints, always gave 100%.  I remember the penalty mentioned above, Simpson's ploy was to stand off centre leaving almost two thirds of the goal free.  Most penalty takers were convinced he was set to dive to cover the 2/3rds and would shoot for the smaller space but of course Simpson was ready for that.  Joe simply melted the ball into the furthest corner giving Simpson no chance.  Simpson took it well but went back to standing in the centre of the goal from then on.

Many happy memories, great goal against Aberdeen in the cup, shook his hand on the night of his benefit match when he stood at the top of the steps at the Town end at Muirton to thank as many people as possible for supporting him.