Get It Sorted Tommy.

Longgforgan Saint

those that moan about 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 formations and want nothing but a 4-4-2 formation really need to come into the 21 St century.

People grow up watching wonderful footballers on TV thinking that 4-5-1 is the way forward. That it's Normal. Yeah it's fine if you've got 3 or 4 attacking, mobile midfielders. It's great if you've got a mobile striker who can hold the ball up until the midfield arrive.

It's not great if you have no support and your striker can't move. It's nonsense at this club.

Edited by Broon

People grow up watching wonderful footballers on TV thinking that 4-5-1 is the way forward. That it's Normal. Yeah it's fine if you've got 3 or 4 attacking, mobile midfielders. It's great if you've got a mobile striker who can hold the ball up until the midfield arrive.

It's not great if you have no support and your striker can't move. It's nonsense at this club.

Agree 100%

We lack the technical ability, vision and pace for a 4231 type shape and one striker allows the centre halfs to stroll through the game. 2 up top at least makes them think.

We look best playing 442 imo. Particularly when we can get the full backs bombing forward. I think Sutton and Cummins could potentially cause mayhem

Edited by Pat McGroin

It's clear for all to see that Sutton is least suited to the lone striker role of our strikers. He isn't fast, doesn't run the channels and isn't that great at holding the ball up. We signed Sutton with plenty of knowledge of how he plays and I do find it mildly concerning that he's being employed in this way, especially when Cummins seems like the type who could play that role very well if that's what the manager wants to do.

The man needs a partner and thrives on crosses into the box. He will score goals with his head and his feet if the quality is there.

I think we need to play 4-4-2 with the players that we have. It's obviously not how the best clubs across the world play these days, but we have to play to our strengths. If Sutton is to play in a 4-5-1, you need both the wide players pushed up right beside him in more of a 4-3-3.

It's early days. TW will find how to get the best out of John Sutton. I personally would like for Sutton to be available from the bench when we are pushing and pressing for a goal in latter part of games and opposition defences are tired and making mistakes. I would prefer to see MOH, Cummins and Kane start matches as our most potent strike force. I worry that Macca may never reach his past form though. Stop slagging off TW and let him get on with his job.      

It's clear for all to see that Sutton is least suited to the lone striker role of our strikers. He isn't fast, doesn't run the channels and isn't that great at holding the ball up.

Not sure anybody can say he isn't great at holding the ball up when I can't remember him getting a single ball that wasn't 6ft plus in the air!!

Not sure anybody can say he isn't great at holding the ball up when I can't remember him getting a single ball that wasn't 6ft plus in the air!!

True, but I'm basing that on seeing him play over a 10 year period in Scottish football. It's not a strength of his.

Watched him over the years with Hearts & Motherwell.Never thought he offered a threat except when he got a good ball in the box. The rest of his game is poor.

We played 4-1-3-2 against Sociedad, and I thought it worked well, was thinking TW would go with Midge in front of defence, then Spoony Muzz and Liam behind Front two, at Methil it was Mikey and Cummins, but front 5 could be any combination really

Edited by dave mc

• 1 month later...