Dear Tommy

Shibbydoo

You're massively misinterpreting what hes said. He talks about how everyone now considers us as one of the teams who'll finish in the top half, and that adds pressure, but him and the players never take it for granted and know they need to work for it.

Well I feel much better now, so we can now expect the team to come out and get wired in on Wednesday and Tommy not to make subs that will leave ghostie beeling. I feckin hope so, now I have had my interpretation of the English language explained to me I am away for a lie down:wink:

Well I feel much better now, so we can now expect the team to come out and get wired in on Wednesday and Tommy not to make subs that will leave ghostie beeling. I feckin hope so, now I have had my interpretation of the English language explained to me I am away for a lie down:wink:

He does it for free you know :laugh:

ive coached youth football for over 15 years, one guy on here said saints wouldn't have had the success over the last few years if brown etc had played over 25 games and he guaranteed that, let's just say that's true but saints sold a couple for 500,000, invested it and did the same again and could then by better players, look how much utd have made from youth players there fck up though was they sold them at wrong time, mcnamara must have needed the money, stevie may excited the fans, who does that now,you watch there will be academy boys coming through and they will xcite the fans like may did 

I said it and I'll stick to it. If it was as easy as that we'd all be bringing through youth players and selling them on for £500k. Not one team could use that as a strategy for success....it just doesn't work.

Just out of interest, in those 15 years you've been in and around coaching, how many players have you seen "make it". I don't mean coached by you perosnally, I mean in teams that you've seen/played against? (Please don't take this as a dig....I just wonder how many youth players actually make a living in the game.)

I watched the first half of the Under 17s match at the weekend with ICT.

The talent on show from both teams was excellent. no long punts, all comfortable receiving the ball to feet. It was an excellent match to watch.

Saints Right Midfielder/winger, Euan O Reilly stood out like a sore thumb. Reminded me of watching Stevie May at that level, you could just tell he was going to be a player. Will be keeping a close eye out on him.

I had visitors from Germany who were amazed at the high standard of the u-12 game we were watching

What goes wrong between then and when boys turn 17 in this country??

Coaching Ed, pure and simple.  I think we are starting to make headway in Scotland now, but we've got a few years to catch up yet.  The facilities have also improved dramatically in the last few years which will help.  Countries like Germany have had these kind of facilities for 40 or so years. 

I had visitors from Germany who were amazed at the high standard of the u-12 game we were watching

Great point. I often take my wee lad down to watch the young kids on a Sunday and I would say that in general most of the kids play to a pretty exceptional standard and certainly one where you would expect them to make serious progress. That doesn't translate as they get older which is strange but you would think by now that we in Scotland would have worked out the formula. 

what a stupid statement, me supporting rangers has nothing to do with it, me being involved with youth football for many years has everything to do with it,have you ever been to watch a youth game have you any idea in what's involved in developing youths to play at any level, do you fcking realise without development of youths no team would have any players , I'm a football fan I've never insulated anyone on here I've debated but never insulted but that a few times now on here I've been insulted because of who I support first I support my son who ever he plays for secondly I hope the team he plays for if it's from under 10 to senior squad does well as that makes the whole place a happier place , fck you go on about rangers fans just aswell I know plenty plenty saints fans who are not like you, but to you all rangers fans are the same won't be that when you charge them 25 at least to get into the stadium and they fill it you'll be happy to get the money,papa jack did not write this  sorry papa this quote thing is a pain in the ass

Edited by Perthpack1884
An apology

I said it and I'll stick to it. If it was as easy as that we'd all be bringing through youth players and selling them on for £500k. Not one team could use that as a strategy for success....it just doesn't work.

Just out of interest, in those 15 years you've been in and around coaching, how many players have you seen "make it". I don't mean coached by you perosnally, I mean in teams that you've seen/played against? (Please don't take this as a dig....I just wonder how many youth players actually make a living in the game.)

its cool mate I've seen a fair few at Falkirk make it and make big money moves, saints are doing the right things but will take time a lot of academy's are years ahead, but there style of play is still punt up the park, saints is all about on the deck , somebody said on here about euan from the 17s he is excellent, but so are a few players will they make it God knows many things can't stop them doing that , I'm all about the youth there are a few things I don't agree with regarding pro youth in scotland and changes have to be made and yes I talk about it cause my sons in it, but I've also got people talking about it on here which is good , because if your a true supporter of any club you should no what's happening right through your club, I took no offence to you asking that bud I'm always happy to talk

when they get to 17 nxt jump is twentys it's a massive jump, for some I'd probably say that cause they have been in the system that long and it's sometimes brutal and very unfair they just can't be bothered anymore, I may be wrong here but I think with saints in the past they've not gone for so much youth in the first team I'm talking 17 upwards is because of cash the difference between say finishing say forth and six is a couple of hundred thousand, Falkirk sold an 18 year old to Norwich for a club record fee two year ago was nearly a million I was told, Kingsley and two other players who came through academy sold to Swansea, Kevin o hara 16 or 17 can't mind in twentys squad signed full time contract played first team games, sibild played over two hundred first team games, there past and present managers have been told this is the way it has to be youth and experience, lot of clubs now going down this route ,make the league bigger and more youth will come through, most countries 18 plus teams in top leagues that the way it should be done here in scotland if it works for them then why not us 

Very good point re how the limited size of the top league is detrimental to boys between the ages of 17 to, say 20 getting the opportunity to stay and play in Scotland at a good level

It seems they either have to be the absolute cream to break through into the first team squad of the club that they have came through the youth system of or we either lose them down south, they end up at teams like Raith or Ayr or something or, like you say, they lose the enthusiasm for the game and as good as pack it in

Very good point re how the limited size of the top league is detrimental to boys between the ages of 17 to, say 20 getting the opportunity to stay and play in Scotland at a good level

It seems they either have to be the absolute cream to break through into the first team squad of the club that they have came through the youth system of or we either lose them down south, they end up at teams like Raith or Ayr or something or, like you say, they lose the enthusiasm for the game and as good as pack it in

spot on 

Less than 1% of youth players actually make it to the top in football. Let that sink in mate.

Not saying Saints don't have young boys who will  make it, they might well do, but over the last 25 years there's only a handful of good players who've come through at Saints. Forgive us for being a bit sceptical. 

blame tc for that