New Manager

Linky

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Folk moaning about the club taking the cheap option before the manager is even hired.

*shakes head*

Why is folks opinion moaning. Are not entitled to say what they think? Or is it your opinion they are moaning because you disagree with their opinion on Cleland as manager?

From the comments he gave today, I don't think it'll be Cleland.

"If we're taking pre-season, that'll be fine - we've done it many times...I'm confident they'll appoint the right man'. 

Sounds like he's saying 'if the manager isn't appointed in time for pre-season, that's ok because we can keep things running in the meantime until he is appointed'. Might Cleland hold out for the Northern Ireland Assistant role?

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Why is folks opinion moaning. Are not entitled to say what they think? Or is it your opinion they are moaning because you disagree with their opinion on Cleland as manager?

Cleland isnt manager.

I find it ridiculous people are moaning about taking the "cheap option" before even knowing who's been appointed.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Cleland isnt manager.

I find it ridiculous people are moaning about taking the "cheap option" before even knowing who's been appointed.

Strictly speaking he is the manager whether you like it or not, all be it presently on a caretaker basis.

Jonny B said "their opinion on Cleland as manager"

You are either misinterpreting what has been said or hinting that you have inside information and that he is not the new manager. So what one is it??. 

Edited by mainstand

7 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

It's a forum people entitled to there opinion, to late when its announced.

What?

You're arguing that people should be giving their opinion on the new manager before they even know who it is?

34 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Strictly speaking he is the manager whether you like it or not, all be it presently on a caretaker basis.

Jonny B said "their opinion on Cleland as manager"

You are either misinterpreting what has been said or hinting that you have inside information and that he is not the new manager. So what one is it??. 

Cleland is not manager.

If people are moaning hes the "cheap option" as caretaker then that's even worse.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

moaning hes the "cheap option"

Not wanting to turn this in to a vocabulary lesson to moan "a complaint which is perceived as trivial and not taken seriously by others"

A cheap option is not trivial and the opinion is taken seriously by others with the same opinion

He is the caretaker manager and that was the sensible route to follow. I do not hear any dissenting voices about that appointment. We can do better than Cleland. Would he be given a lesser salary than others, I am guessing yes therefore IF he is appointed, he would be the cheaper option.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Cleland is not manager.

Random like it or lump it he is. 

As at this present time he is St Johnstone's manager. The fact that it is a caretaker position is irrelevant. If there is a meeting of Managers he will attend. If the players come in for training he will be in charge. If the physio is reporting on an injured player they will discuss it with him as the manager of the Club. 

50 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Not wanting to turn this in to a vocabulary lesson to moan "a complaint which is perceived as trivial and not taken seriously by others"

A cheap option is not trivial and the opinion is taken seriously by others with the same opinion

He is the caretaker manager and that was the sensible route to follow. I do not hear any dissenting voices about that appointment. We can do better than Cleland. Would he be given a lesser salary than others, I am guessing yes therefore IF he is appointed, he would be the cheaper option.

Wouldn't you agree though that the cheap option is not necessarily a bad option? Just because Cleland could be perceived as "the cheap option" doesn't automatically mean he'd be the wrong man for the job. It could be argued that Tommy Wright was the cheap option at the time too.

Much of Saints' entire success is built on being able to spot the right cheap option at the right time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

What?

You're arguing that people should be giving their opinion on the new manager before they even know who it is?

Cleland is not manager.

If people are moaning hes the "cheap option" as caretaker then that's even worse.

Forum police out again, it's my opinion Cleland should not be manager tough if you dont like it.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Wouldn't you agree though that the cheap option is not necessarily a bad option? Just because Cleland could be perceived as "the cheap option" doesn't automatically mean he'd be the wrong man for the job. It could be argued that Tommy Wright was the cheap option at the time too.

Much of Saints' entire success is built on being able to spot the right cheap option at the right time.

My problem with Cleland is his lack of experience. He may turn out to be the next TW. But how many of the other regular top 6 finishers would appoint Cleland. I honestly think we can do better. If Cleland had ambitions of being a manager he would have built up a cv by now. Will he turn down the opportunity to manage us only time will tell?

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

My problem with Cleland is his lack of experience. He may turn out to be the next TW. But how many of the other regular top 6 finishers would appoint Cleland. I honestly think we can do better. If Cleland had ambitions of being a manager he would have built up a cv by now. Will he turn down the opportunity to manage us only time will tell?

How many would have appointed Tommy 7 years ago ?

42 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

How many would have appointed Tommy 7 years ago ?

Quite a lot, including the browns tbh. We ALL knew he was the brains behind Lomas. Anyone who witnessed Lomas out and about can vouch for this. Remember Lomas,  the west ham legend, thought it was a GREAT idea to go manage Millwall, the boy just doesn't think like a normal human.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Cleland has been with the club for 12 years & he knows the club inside out & the club knows him inside out.

He has been in charge of youth & reserve teams.

I am not saying he should be manager but I wouldn't be surprised if he was & will be if Callum not available.

If AC was getting the gig surely he would have been appointed already. 

Saints managers job will cost saints over 10k a month, that's a lot but the position is crucial to a successful team. 

I would be disappointed if the new manager was not in place by the end of next week. 

10 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Cleland has been with the club for 12 years & he knows the club inside out & the club knows him inside out.

He has been in charge of youth & reserve teams.

I am not saying he should be manager but I wouldn't be surprised if he was & will be if Callum not available.

Knowing the club inside out does not make you a football manager it may make you suitable to be director. Knowledge of the club is not high on the cv of an applicant. Many clubs make appointments with mangers not knowing the club inside out. To be a manager at this level you need a coaching licence, knowledge of formations, tactics training programs, man-management and experience.  

Yes, he has been is some kind of management roll since 2004. However it is a big step up from managing youth football and reserve football. What are his achievements and what has he won? Would not be surprised if MOH's father has won more at the youth level. It is just too big a step and too big a risk. But time will tell.

58 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Knowing the club inside out does not make you a football manager it may make you suitable to be director. Knowledge of the club is not high on the cv of an applicant. Many clubs make appointments with mangers not knowing the club inside out. To be a manager at this level you need a coaching licence, knowledge of formations, tactics training programs, man-management and experience.  

Yes, he has been is some kind of management roll since 2004. However it is a big step up from managing youth football and reserve football. What are his achievements and what has he won? Would not be surprised if MOH's father has won more at the youth level. It is just too big a step and too big a risk. But time will tell.

Did you feel that way about McInnes? Or Sturrock?

Personally I'm not sure I consider experience to be completely vital. We've given inexperienced managers a chance in the past, and I'm sure we will again. 

2 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Quite a lot, including the browns tbh. We ALL knew he was the brains behind Lomas. Anyone who witnessed Lomas out and about can vouch for this. Remember Lomas,  the west ham legend, thought it was a GREAT idea to go manage Millwall, the boy just doesn't think like a normal human.

Remind me again where our Suggested favourite for next manager is currently Assistant Manager!!!!!

48 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Did you feel that way about McInnes? Or Sturrock?

Personally I'm not sure I consider experience to be completely vital. We've given inexperienced managers a chance in the past, and I'm sure we will again. 

I do not believe we need to go down the road of an inexperienced manager they are 10 a penny, the difficulty is getting a good one. As for experience I consider it very important hence the reason why we are having this discussion.