Kelty Hearts vs St Johnstone - 22/01/22

Pat McGroin

4 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Just saw the video of the players walking through the crowd. If they knew they were going to have to walk through the fans surely they would have absolutely bust a gut to get a result? Something isn't right.

And given the abuse they had to endure after the game how many will bust a gut Wednesday. It was totally out of order 

1 hour ago, templeofsaints said:

And given the abuse they had to endure after the game how many will bust a gut Wednesday. It was totally out of order 

Don't think its fair to blame fans for that reaction tbh. 10 game winless run, 120 minutes of half arsed football then they just chucked it after conceding. Its a recurring theme now too that all fight leaves us after we concede.

Our fans have given plenty of support to the players and manager this season but you can't expect them to do that indefinitely if the players/manager aren't earning it. They've been burning through the goodwill last season bought them and maybe today will make them realise its no longer relevant, all that matters is how they perform this year.

Come out against Dundee on Wednesday with some fight and the fans will respond to that. Earn the support.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Don't think its fair to blame fans for that reaction tbh. 10 game winless run, 120 minutes of half arsed football then they just chucked it after conceding. Its a recurring theme now too that all fight leaves us after we concede.

Our fans have given plenty of support to the players and manager this season but you can't expect them to do that indefinitely if the players/manager aren't earning it. They've been burning through the goodwill last season bought them and maybe today will make them realise its no longer relevant, all that matters is how they perform this year.

Come out against Dundee on Wednesday with some fight and the fans will respond to that. Earn the support.

Sorry from the videos I saw it was a lot more than just criticism - football is emotional but I'm pretty sure the players were hurting just as much and it doesnt do us or the club's chances any good to see the personal abuse that was taking place. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

It's a game of football for goodness sake. The reaction from some of the fans was ridiculous. There are players there that have given nothing but effort for the club for many years now. The likes of Gordon, Craig, Zander, Murray, etc being treated like that is disgusting. I'm actually embarrassed to be linked to fans that behave in that manner to players that have brought so many highs in recent years.

Sure we are dreadful just now and unfortunately things look a bit of a mess, but no one deserves supposed grown men screaming in their face like that.

You can withdraw your support for the manager and players without dropping to that level- the sort of stuff you tend to see from the ugly sisters.

As for the sign...... idiots.

5 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

football is emotional

Exactly, fans are allowed to get emotional too.

You'd see those scenes every week at other clubs if losing sides were forced to walk through their support after a match. 

I'd imagine the players were screaming at each other and scrapping in the dressing room, its football, its emotional.

Come Wednesday the same fans will be applauding the same players onto the park before kick off.

No Saints fan will be happy with the result/display/team selection perm any 1 from 10 disastrous things going on at our wee club at the minute, but the actions of some fans today is disappointing to say the least.

I have watched Saints up and down ALL the divisions and at a time when you couldn’t take comfort from 3 cup wins! But I never felt the need to hurl abuse from the touch line. I don’t know the answer to all our ills but I do know we are a team with no confidence playing like we are scared to make a mistake so barracking players/manager certainly won’t help.. 239 days…that’s all it has been since we lifted the Scottish cup.. COYS 

Just now, SlickDT said:

It's a game of football for goodness sake. The reaction from some of the fans was ridiculous. There are players there that have given nothing but effort for the club for many years now. The likes of Gordon, Craig, Zander, Murray, etc being treated like that is disgusting. I'm actually embarrassed to be linked to fans that behave in that manner to players that have brought so many highs in recent years.

Sure we are dreadful just now and unfortunately things look a bit of a mess, but no one deserves supposed grown men screaming in their face like that.

You can withdraw your support for the manager and players without dropping to that level- the sort of stuff you tend to see from the ugly sisters.

Nobody says a thing about the fan reaction if the players arent forced to walk through them, you see fans react badly to losses all over the country every week. Its what happens when everyone is frustrated and the players chucking it after the Kelty goal won't have helped.

Just because you criticise players after a loss it doesn't mean you don't appreciate what they've done in the past, treating folk who are failing as untouchable deities helps nobody.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Nobody says a thing about the fan reaction if the players arent forced to walk through them, you see fans react badly to losses all over the country every week. Its what happens when everyone is frustrated and the players chucking it after the Kelty goal won't have helped.

Just because you criticise players after a loss it doesn't mean you don't appreciate what they've done in the past, treating folk who are failing as untouchable deities helps nobody.

There is a huge difference between criticising and screaming in players faces and being abusive towards them.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single St Johnstone fan just now that believes these players or the manager are untouchable deities- in fact everyone I know believes the squad needs a complete overhaul and the majority want the manager to move on. They are happy to criticise them, doesn't require abuse.

players getting a taste of what callum should be giving them ....i dont see much here to fret about, couple of people shouting their displeasure, I mean we just lost to kelty ffs, if that was at MacDiarmid there would have been rampant abuse, booing and screaming from the stands.

Should make every losing team do the walk of shame through the crowd, bring some accountability instead of skipping to the dressing room and hiding with a cold bevvy

24 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

There is a huge difference between criticising and screaming in players faces and being abusive towards them.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single St Johnstone fan just now that believes these players or the manager are untouchable deities- in fact everyone I know believes the squad needs a complete overhaul and the majority want the manager to move on. They are happy to criticise them, doesn't require abuse.

its just more real as its up close,  far worse abuse would have been directed at them from the stands of a larger stadium.... does that make it better because its further away?

Players got off ****ing lightly if you ask me 

Only as good as your last game. That's the minimum standard 

From the most successful at st johnstone teams to the worst in such a short space of time. I don't blame anyone for that reaction. They should feel hurt and ashamed 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

40 years, 38 a season ticket holder. Spent my youth and early adulthood home and away with my Dad. So not some 'fair weather fan'

Lost Dad just before the double and honestly it's just not been quite the same.

St Johnstone will always hold a place for me but right now it feels like an end of a chapter. I have seen it all, bottom of the bottom to realistically the top of the top.

Been through it all before and still came back.  Honestly right now though the fight to keep going and confidence in the those that run the club has left me. Add to that nothing im seeing on the pitch is galvanizing any part of my spirit.

Very much standing at a crossroads here.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think the fact they’ve managed to reach a 10 game losing streak before things turned nasty in the stands is purely down to last seasons results. 

A few people were a bit OTT and got a bit personal but emotions run high after a game and I also hope a few of the players would be losing the plot in the dressing room.  

7 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

I know folk are upset but if you were at your work in a shop or the likes and the public behaved like that you’d be calling the police! 

Comparing competitive team sports to the real world is pointless. You think things don’t kick off in dressing rooms that would be a sackable offence in any other work environment? Totally different. 

Was at the game, didn’t shout or boo players at the end but not condemning those that did. The players though should never have been put in that position of having to walk through the fans, it was obvious before the game that it would be a huge problem if we lost. There should have been a back up plan in place, even just taking the players into a huddle in the dugout for five mins to allow the fans to leave.

Sure earlier in the thread someone claimed Kelty are sustainable and not just another Gretna, I d disagree, it’s a village team with very little potential for growth given the size of Kelty, sure a local business has propped them up by half a million, no way they can afford the players and managers they ve had any other way. Where Kelty were very clever is by jumping the gun on everyone else and turning the one of the first junior clubs to turn senior, this meant they won the East of Scotland league at a canter, something that would have been more difficult to do by the following year. They look like going up again but as we saw yesterday, ground isn’t really fit for that number of fans, ok as a one off but there were people falling on muddy grass banks etc.