The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

1 hour ago, Lewis71 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lawlor is contracted to Scumdee until July 2023, therefore we would be paying for him. Oh dear this really isnt looking good.  Maybe our luck will change & Zander will re - sign, doubt it though.

Bad enough we are signing him but to pay a fee would be criminal.

Extending deals for Muzz and Parish and now this.

Do they want to sell season tickets ?.

28 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Midden fans think we paid £50,000. Dundee fans think we are signing Lawlor. Wouldn’t it be great if saints fans new what they are complaining about. I think we are just feeding things for cagey to moan about. 

We definitely paid a decent fee for MacPherson, FWIW.

2 hours ago, Lewis71 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lawlor is contracted to Scumdee until July 2023, therefore we would be paying for him. Oh dear this really isnt looking good.  Maybe our luck will change & Zander will re - sign, doubt it though.

Even in the unlikely event he was considering such an option, you've got to assume that he is watching the unfolding 'alleged' clusterfeck scenario. So, no chance chance of him re-signing. imho.

16 hours ago, Graeme S said:

Add to that, I see that Chris Hamilton (YPOTY at Arbroath last season as a defensive/holding midfielder) has just put pen to paper on a three year deal at Dunfermline. The player himself said he'd had interest from Saints - hopefully not one of CD's "4 or 5 signings ready to go straight into the first team". 

Seems we've been slow off the mark again for whatever reason, the only sure thing is that absolutely none of it will be CD's fault. 

Apparently he's a big Dunfermline fan, which might explain why he was keen to go there. I've no idea if he'd be good enough for Saints or not but it could easily be the case that we decided to concentrate on other targets. Not sure where you've read about Saints' interest, but interest doesn't necessarily mean we actually made him an offer.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We paid fees for Cammy MacPherson and Ali Crawford in January, when we could've signed both to PCAs and got them for nothing.

... but we did sign MacPherson on a PCA, and St Mirren responded by recalling him. Yes we could have chosen to wait until the summer to get him back for nothing, but given the position we were in I think it probably made sense to pay what was presumably a fairly small fee to hold onto him.

14 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Midden fans think we paid £50,000. Dundee fans think we are signing Lawlor. Wouldn’t it be great if saints fans new what they are complaining about. I think we are just feeding things for cagey to moan about. 

:laugh: I think that's a very good point.

Surely anyone who's been reading this forum for any length of time knows that many of the things "in the know" fans claim to "know" often turns out to be well wide of the mark. I wonder if these St Mirren fans who somehow claim to know MacPherson's exact fee are the same ones who insisted they were signing Glenn Middleton last summer.

12 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

... but we did sign MacPherson on a PCA, and St Mirren responded by recalling him. Yes we could have chosen to wait until the summer to get him back for nothing, but given the position we were in I think it probably made sense to pay what was presumably a fairly small fee to hold onto him.

St Mirren weren't recalling him until he signed a PCA, so we would've had him until the Summer on loan without having to pay a fee, give up a sell on clause, and offer him a multi-year deal.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

St Mirren weren't recalling him until he signed a PCA, so we would've had him until the Summer on loan without having to pay a fee, give up a sell on clause, and offer him a multi-year deal.

But they did recall him. He missed one of our matches because of it. Jim Goodwin explains it here: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/st-mirren-explain-macpherson-recall-after-st-johnstone-pre-contract-3538349

21 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

But they did recall him. He missed one of our matches because of it. Jim Goodwin explains it here: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/st-mirren-explain-macpherson-recall-after-st-johnstone-pre-contract-3538349

I think the point RandomGuy is making is that, once he'd signed a PCA, they recalled him. Therefore, if we'd have put a contract in front of him last month instead of January, we wouldn't have had to pay anything.

Yeah, there is no doubt that was one of the biggest embarrassments in a season of embarrassments. Instead of just waiting until the end of the season to see if his performances remotely merited a contract, we offered him a totally undeserved PCA, meaning that St Mirren recalled him in the hope that we’d pay a fee to bring him in permanently. There would have been minimal interest from other clubs at the end of the season and we could have secured him without a fee if we wanted him enough at that point.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Because we signed him on a PCA.

If we hadn't bothered to rush into that deal then they wouldn't have bothered recalling him, and we'd have him until the end of the season.

It would've risked missing out on him permanently but that was a risk I don't think he justified not taking.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Because we signed him on a PCA.

If we hadn't bothered to rush into that deal then they wouldn't have bothered recalling him, and we'd have him until the end of the season.

It would've risked missing out on him permanently but that was a risk I don't think he justified not taking.

I think I'm just confused by this as you started off by saying we should have signed him and Crawford  on PCAs and got them for nothing. Now you seem to be saying that giving him a PCA was the wrong move.

But yeah, I agree with those saying we shouldn't have rushed into tying Crawford and MacPherson down. We could have asked them to play their way into deals with their performances in the second half of the season. If they'd ended up signing for someone else, it wouldn't have been a massive loss.

45 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

FFS this is the big summed signing thread yeah so can we move on to some exciting gossip. Or will we keep on  talking about done deals from last year 

Perhaps it's because there is no gossip, exciting or otherwise apart from the underwhelming gossip we are signing a Dundee reserve goalie.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think I'm just confused by this as you started off by saying we should have signed him and Crawford  on PCAs and got them for nothing. Now you seem to be saying that giving him a PCA was the wrong move.

But yeah, I agree with those saying we shouldn't have rushed into tying Crawford and MacPherson down. We could have asked them to play their way into deals with their performances in the second half of the season. If they'd ended up signing for someone else, it wouldn't have been a massive loss.

I think he would have had a development fee anyway so would not have mattered possibly when he signed?

"only the heroics of St Johnstone goalkeeper Scott Sinclair kept the Danes at bay,"

.report from BBC under 21s match last night, How long does Ross have left on his contract, hope we do not let it run out. Is there such a big step from Scotland under 21s to the Premiership