The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

3 hours ago, Linky said:

Last season he scored 11 goals in all competitions. 7 during the previous 3 seasons. We haven’t had anyone get more than 11 since our current Assistant Manager 7 seasons ago.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to our problems, but he’s got a better record at this level than many.

The other way to look at it is he has scored 1 goal in 20 odd games for Utd, we have plenty of guys with better scoring records than that.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Rumours of Mahon on loan to Dundee

Risky move - not going to take much for the likes of Considine or Mitchell to pick up yellow cards this season, never mind potential injuries. And while Brown can deputise there I'd rather see a natural centre-half as cover. Plus the thought that there are players ready to come in and take their place might help focus the minds of the guys with the starting jersey.

22 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Risky move - not going to take much for the likes of Considine or Mitchell to pick up yellow cards this season, never mind potential injuries. And while Brown can deputise there I'd rather see a natural centre-half as cover. Plus the thought that there are players ready to come in and take their place might help focus the minds of the guys with the starting jersey.

I think we need to lower the wage bill. We have 3 centre backs currently playing, with Gordon out. Brown and Booth also able to play there if needed, but I agree that leaves us a bit light. I wonder if there is another centre back lined up on loan as back up?

4 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

I think it would be a great move. Realistically he’s 5th choice right now. He needs games and Dundee should be fighting for the league title. 

Even if you move him on for the year, you still have 5 guys capable of playing centre half. 

2 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

I’m guessing the wage bill isn’t an issue if they are still looking.

Is there a limit as too how many players we can send out on loan?

There are a few regulations (explained in the link below) but I don't think they should affect Saints too much.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/loan-rules-new-explained-fifa-regulations-chelsea-man-city-liverpool-players-1413714

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

There are a few regulations (explained in the link below) but I don't think they should affect Saints too much.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/loan-rules-new-explained-fifa-regulations-chelsea-man-city-liverpool-players-1413714

Cheers mate

You going to bring out a retro edition of the fanzine to celebrate the retro away shirt colours? :)

54 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

It’s an absolute joke that we’ve still not signed a striker. Looks like we’ll be desperately throwing contracts at anyone just to get someone in regardless if they’re actually good enough. 

True but who can we get that we can afford and would come to us?  According to the Hootsmon the only available striker who is any good is Mark McNulty and he has managed 8 goals in total over the last 3 years and is 30 next month.

The striker situation lends itself well to a young player from a top English club. We effectively only need someone until the World Cup break, as Kane is back after then anyway. We've a good opportunity to give Bair a run of games, with May as an able back-up. So we need strength in depth rather than quality. Taking a chance on a youngster would work. If he's better than Bair give him the games, if not we've lost nothing. It's always a gamble with those types of loans, but one we can't really lose.

Many of those transfers happen on transfer deadline day. I'd guess we're looking at the sort of player that the club would rather send somewhere as a first choice player, but will take a subs role in the SPL if they can't get a deal done. There will be a few players like that knocking about, so we can sit and wait whilst both Bair and May are fit.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

True but who can we get that we can afford and would come to us?  According to the Hootsmon the only available striker who is any good is Mark McNulty and he has managed 8 goals in total over the last 3 years and is 30 next month.

Is it not his job to identify signing targets? He keeps spending money on the defense when the striker situation has never really been addressed. It’s so frustrating. 

1 hour ago, south inch said:

I believe Adam Rooney is still without a club. 34 years old so far from ideal given the ages of some of our other recent signings, but under the circumstances we could probably do worse.

37 minutes ago, That_Dave said:

The striker situation lends itself well to a young player from a top English club. We effectively only need someone until the World Cup break, as Kane is back after then anyway.

I just don't understand how Kane, May and Bair are going to be enough when none of them score goals. They may have some useful attributes but what we desperately need is a proper centre-forward who can get us 10-15 goals a season.

4 minutes ago, tucker said:

It's hard to get a 10, goal a season striker think the lad from county last year got 13 and he was Scotland top scorer 

Agree, but Hendry scored 8 goals in half a season for us so if he'd managed those numbers over the full season he'd have been top scorer in the division. I also suspect a regularly-playing Guy Melamed would have managed 10 goals in a season. The players who can do it are out there, it's just a case of identifying them and getting the best out of them while they're here.

49 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Agree, but Hendry scored 8 goals in half a season for us so if he'd managed those numbers over the full season he'd have been top scorer in the division. I also suspect a regularly-playing Guy Melamed would have managed 10 goals in a season. The players who can do it are out there, it's just a case of identifying them and getting the best out of them while they're here.

Gee I wish we could pull a young Parker type out the hat somewhere somehow.

If you look at how many different player nationalities have played for us over the years than we definitely have the contacts who can spot a talent, I guess from there it’s a matter of somehow signing them.

As an example there is a young guy down here who is 21 years old, his name is Ben Waine and has been capped for New Zealand at every level and has scored 15 goals in 40 odd A league games, so far in his career.

I know the A league is where retiring players go and get their last big pay day before they retire ie Yorke, Del Piero, Fowler to name a few but there is talent down this way which is pretty cheap to sign.