Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I feel we're a bit "soft" at the moment and are crying out for the kind of signings that were made when we brought in guys like Jim Weir or Martin Hardie - but TBH I'm not sure many players like that even exist any more at this level.

Have to admit I haven't seen anything yet that has made me think getting rid of Spoony was the right move. I also still feel we should have held out longer for Hallberg (although appreciate he probably still would have ended up going back to Sweden once he got the offer from there).

If you believe Scottish referees and opposition fans Dan Philips is Martin Hardie/Paul Ramsey/Jim Weir reincarnated. 😁

I agree to an extent re Spoony - I think he was the victim of having Carey on a long deal. If Carey had been out of contract I'm sure Spoony would have been offered a deal. As for Hallberg though I disagree - I think our problem was we waited too long on a decision - there never seemed to be any sign that he was going to commit to Saints anyway.

The fact Spoony hasn't gotten a new club should give you an indication of why we shouldn't have retained him. There's a reason that not even Championship teams are champing at the bit to sign him indicates they know what saints knew. For the last time, the revisionism with Spoony needs to stop, there's a reason he was released and it was the correct decision. 

54 minutes ago, Widge said:

The fact Spoony hasn't gotten a new club should give you an indication of why we shouldn't have retained him. There's a reason that not even Championship teams are champing at the bit to sign him indicates they know what saints knew. For the last time, the revisionism with Spoony needs to stop, there's a reason he was released and it was the correct decision. 

Can't agree with that. In my view Spoony would easily be contributing to the team at the moment as he'd be getting picked ahead of several of those that have started so far. 

I've no idea what offers he has or hasn't had from other clubs, or what his plan is, so can't really comment on whether Championship teams have been champing at the bit to sign him or otherwise.

If we end up with a midfield of better players than him then I'll agree that getting rid of him was the correct decision. I'm not seeing that yet, though.

I have nothing to back this up but wonder if it’s how well he s recovered from his injury that is Spoonys problem.

I agree, on ability he should still be in our squad.

When was last time he played 90 mins though or even 45 ?

Cant help but wonder , was his rushing back to get fit for the World Cup detrimental to him getting back fit properly, should he have taken longer ?

That said, from his point of view, he’s 3 Cup medals and played at a World Cup, he made totally the best decisions for himself.

It does seem strange that with his experience and ability he’s sitting about, you’d think if not us, there must be a team wants him.

23 minutes ago, SaintPeter91 said:

Seeing that Christopher Kane is back in full training, that's an amazing boost. If he can keep himself fit this time, he's a great player to have around.

What are your hopes for him in the next few weeks?

To pack in the games of 5-aside during the week with his pals would be a decent place to start. 

6 hours ago, tucker said:

Courier podcast saying they'd like another centre half, midfielder and striker with some outgoings as well I'd imagine Crawford and few others 

I think we’ll see a loan striker to cover Clark/Kane injuries. This box to box midfielder seems to be a key role to fill - will that be Jay Turner Cooke?. Does a new centre half spell the end for Considine?

10 minutes ago, Linky said:

I think we’ll see a loan striker to cover Clark/Kane injuries. This box to box midfielder seems to be a key role to fill - will that be Jay Turner Cooke?. Does a new centre half spell the end for Considine?

A new CH would more likely mean Parker off on loan. That gives us 4 "proper" centre-halves (with Dare, Brown etc as cover) but with the likelihood of injuries, suspensions kicking in I doubt you can afford to lose any of them

15 hours ago, SaintPeter91 said:

Seeing that Christopher Kane is back in full training, that's an amazing boost. If he can keep himself fit this time, he's a great player to have around.

What are your hopes for him in the next few weeks?

Really hopeful that Kane's direct style of play and ability to hold the ball up a bit and win set pieces in the opposition half will make a difference for us when he's back. But I do worry we might be putting awful high hopes on Kane's return. He's a long way from being a prolific goalscorer, after all. In fact I think I don't think he's ever scored more than five Premiership goals in a season?

34 minutes ago, Linky said:

Crawford for sure.

I’d suggest the others might be Considine & MacGowan. Perhaps even Booth & Kane.

I'd be pretty surprised if McGowan was one of them, but you never know. Considine definitely could be on that list, although I feel like he might be useful back-up for the rest of this season and it could be a bit hasty to get rid of him. Hard to know what's going on with Booth. When fit I'd be easily picking him ahead of Gallacher.

Crawford undoubtedly must be on his way out. I've noticed his name doesn't even get mentioned in the injury updates any more.

Could Nicky Clark's future be a doubt? He's one of our big earners and Macca might see letting him go as being a way of freeing up some budget to bring in more of his own guys.

I can't help but wonder where Ballantyne and Kucheriavyi fit into this team now, too. I can't see either of them being anywhere near the starting XI once Macca's first choices are fit.

31 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'd be pretty surprised if McGowan was one of them, but you never know. Considine definitely could be on that list, although I feel like he might be useful back-up for the rest of this season and it could be a bit hasty to get rid of him. Hard to know what's going on with Booth. When fit I'd be easily picking him ahead of Gallacher.

Crawford undoubtedly must be on his way out. I've noticed his name doesn't even get mentioned in the injury updates any more.

Could Nicky Clark's future be a doubt? He's one of our big earners and Macca might see letting him go as being a way of freeing up some budget to bring in more of his own guys.

I can't help but wonder where Ballantyne and Kucheriavyi fit into this team now, too. I can't see either of them being anywhere near the starting XI once Macca's first choices are fit.

Booth is probably better than Gallacher in a 3-5-2 but if theres a decent player in front of Gallacher I think he has a lot to offer. Also difficult to see how almost 2yrs out wont have an impact on Booth - at the very least he'll be well off the pace and 2yrs is a long time to be without regular football. 

Doubt Clark will go - I'd reckon Kane would be out before him. A lot depends on whether we have some striker lined up to come in permanently or how Jephcott works out once fit. 

Ballantyne will be kept as cover but I can see Max being loaned out to a championship side for 6mths or so to see if he can push on.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Funnily enough the BBC mentioned that Macca said to the press that Crawford was back running: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/st-johnstone

With Macca saying some senior players can leave, and the fact they will get little game time, is a pretty clear indication that he is making it his team, so it will either go pear shaped, or we will finish the season mid table. 

Whether some senior players are bothered, or just happy to take the money every week is another matter! 

I think a clean out is required but am concerned how these younger guys will handle the weekly grind at this level.

Id keep Considine and have him in a coaching role to help mentor the young fellas.

As with every season I always wonder where our goals are coming from.

Can May hit double figures in goals or assists?

Very brave quote from Macca in the local press today: “Come the end of the transfer window, after that you will see a St Johnstone team that will be mine then I can be judged on that.”

Some of the things he's said since being appointed have really just made rods for his own back. Hope this isn't another one.

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Very brave quote from Macca in the local press today: “Come the end of the transfer window, after that you will see a St Johnstone team that will be mine then I can be judged on that.”

Some of the things he's said since being appointed have really just made rods for his own back. Hope this isn't another one.

I guess it’s good he’s willing to put his neck on the line like that, but aye probably putting pressure on himself that he really doesn’t need to. Suppose that’s the kind of guy he is though. 

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I've no problems with it. He's obviously not afraid of criticism. Unlike the previous manager.

Its gonna take weeks (months?) for this mix of new loanees, old ones returning from injury to gel into a cohesive team.....way behind the curve this season. Not saying this wont end up being a good team, but feels like we are giving everyone else a head start here.

Hopefully we have a wizard behind this concoction of players......

On 8/23/2023 at 2:19 PM, blueheaven said:

Can't agree with that. In my view Spoony would easily be contributing to the team at the moment as he'd be getting picked ahead of several of those that have started so far. 

I've no idea what offers he has or hasn't had from other clubs, or what his plan is, so can't really comment on whether Championship teams have been champing at the bit to sign him or otherwise.

If we end up with a midfield of better players than him then I'll agree that getting rid of him was the correct decision. I'm not seeing that yet, though.

It's tricky because anything negative comments do feel like a bit of a betrayal, but.....we haven't seen the "contributing" Spoony you're talking about for a long time. As someone mentioned previously, I can't remember him getting a run of games for the last few seasons. I'm sure there were no goals/assists at all last season. We'd be going mental if we gave a contract/new contract to any other attacking player with those kind of stats.