Ross County v Saints, 12/08/2023

blueheaven

Looks like we're going to be at bare bones yet again for this one. Not only have we lost Sinclair from last week's squad but it seems Drey Wright might not make it either. Who do we play on the right if Drey doesn't make it? I guess Max is the obvious choice but to me he hasn't looked comfortable as a winger at all.

Would like to see Jephcott start this one up front with May, probably with Ballantyne dropping down to the bench to make way.

Feel we really need to get something out of this one, otherwise (with Celtic away next up) it could easily turn into three straight defeats to start the season.

I'd be tempted to whack May out on the wing with Jephcott up top. Not at all convinced by Max out there. Phillips and Smith in the middle with McGowan behind.

Jephcott is never going to be the type of striker who will pick the ball up from deep and drive. He needs to be in the box getting decent supply from middle and wide.

Change the shape and hope for the best..

I’d go:

Mitov

Olufunwa Gordon McClelland Gallagher

Phillips

Smith               Kucheriavyi

Ballantyne

May       Jephcott

Subs: Wills, Parker, Ferguson, McCrystal, Klimoinek, Steven, Franczak 

Unused: McGowan, Considine, Carey 🤐

32 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’d go:

Mitov

Phillips

Ballantyne

May       Jephcott

Yeah, that diamond midfield worked well against League 1 Stirling Albion, lets try it in the SPL.......... 😑

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’d go:

Mitov

Phillips

Ballantyne

May       Jephcott

Leaving the senior players out is bad enough but having a keeper with a broken leg on the bench is a bit much. 

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’d go:

Mitov

Phillips

Ballantyne

May       Jephcott

McGowan unused🤣.  Easily our best player against Hearts and the only one who got anywhere near their players.  Possibly our most important player this season because make no mistake about it we are in a massive dogfight this season.  At this stage of the window we have the worst squad in the league by a big margin.  Leaving out McGowan is ridiculous in the extreme.  

Edited by Maskrey

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Our midfield is soft as shit without McGowan, i understand not liking him as a player (i hate how he seems more interested in moaning to the ref and think it sets a bad precedent that other players follow) but keeping him out the side is absolutely mental with the squad as it is.

As is playing Phillips as the holding midfielder. That was the main cause for Stirling humping us.

23 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Yeah, that diamond midfield worked well against League 1 Stirling Albion, lets try it in the SPL.......... 😑

21 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

Leaving the senior players out is bad enough but having a keeper with a broken leg on the bench is a bit much. 

21 hours ago, Maskrey said:

McGowan unused🤣.  Easily our best player against Hearts and the only one who got anywhere near their players.  Possibly our most important player this season because make no mistake about it we are in a massive dogfight this season.  At this stage of the window we have the worst squad in the league by a big margin.  Leaving out McGowan is ridiculous in the extreme.  

19 hours ago, Cagey said:

As is playing Phillips as the holding midfielder. That was the main cause for Stirling humping us.

Well at least I got things stirred up for a drab away trip to Dingwall.

I only actually believe half of what I posted. I’ve not made my mind up on which half. I’ll see on Saturday at 4:45. 

Even though squad numbers are thin, there should still be enough to get a decent performance in Dingwall. 

The manager will no doubt opt for 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, but this could be an alternative based on players available. 

3-4-1-2 

Mitov 

McClelland Gordon Considine 

Olufunwa McGowan Smith Gallacher 

Carey 

Jephcott May 

If Brown and Wright are out, then this gives everybody the chance to play in their preferred positions. 

Gordon back in his preferred central position in a back three. 

Considine wouldn't need to run as much in there and could rely more on his positional sense. 

Dare and Gallacher can track back if necessary, with both being comfortable in that wingback role. 

I've dropped Phillips because he's not been at his best and needs to know that he's not first pick no matter what. 

Ballantyne dropped because of his early season performances. 

Smith seems to be quality, and he's had a pre-season including game time at MK Dons, so I'd include him from the start here. 

McGowan can be the experience in the middle of midfield, which may allow Smith to be more creative. 

I remember reading that Carey does very well behind a front two, and with decent service from Smith, this could be a winner. 

May and Jephcott both up front because neither work well on their own. 

A goal for Jephcott would be good to get him up and running. 

Max, Phillips and Ballantyne are all decent options to bring on from the bench. 

This way, everybody's playing in their preferred position and out of form players are not starting. 

For me, this is a good enough team to get something from the game. 

This should be the first game for the new away kit, shouldn't it?