McInnes - Report Card

Radford 72

What are folks thoughts on Derek McInnes' reign so far then?

Looking back at when he was appointed he said he didn't feel there was much wrong and that when we were playing well we were a good side but that we had a tendency to look vulnerable when the opposition starts asking questions - especially away from home - and that we need to show more discipline and be more solid during those periods.

I think it's become clear he now believes we need a bit more of a turnaround in players but he worked quickly to bring players in on emergency loan and at the start of the window and if everyone is fit, we are now maybe only short of cover at left back.

He's also changed the formation to accomodate our best attacking players and Peaso's work-rate means he can work that left-hand side well as he is capable and disciplined enough to drop into midfield when required. He's not been afraid to change things in an attacking sense, none moreso than subbing himself at home to Morton, or in a defensive sense when he replaced Sheerin with McManus today.

What has impressed me most though is he's managed to convert his words from the opening few days of the job about making us more solid away from home into actions. In the last three away games, we've lost one fluke goal and collected seven points. I was a huge fan of OC but I don't think we'd have managed that under him.

Definitely merits passmarks so far IMO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there has been a significant improvement under the new man who as you say has not been afraid to make decisions and change things around. His signings look good despite the injuries and at long last one can see improvemts in midfield both in terms of numbers and cover. Regretably i still think it is too late for this year but with some further strengthening in the summer hopefully we can give it a real go next year.

I wasn't that impressed with McInnes getting the job at the time but so far I've been proved wrong. As Muzz said, for a guy who was supposed to be Coyle's best mate at the club they have completely opposite styles of management (players, tactics, subs, media interviews).

McInnes seems to know what he's doing and I like what he says in interviews. He's found the balance between praising players and criticising them (Coyle only ever seemed to heap praise on them).

The team seems more balanced now with Craig providing a bit of drive & energy down the left, Peaso pulling defenders out to the touchline & Savo and Jacko working off each other.

Credit where credits due, i was one of his biggest critics when he took over.

The only thing i found positive was that he wouldn't be on the pitch week in week out.

Going on results recently i can honestly say i am being made to eat my words.

The thing i like the most about the new regime is the 4-3-3 tactics used most weeks, helps deveolp Jacko, when we were playing 4-4-2, we would of had to drop either Savo or Peaso which we wouldn't want to do.

Signings so far seem promising, not so much WHO we sign, but more WHEN we sign them, under OC we tended to bring players in last minute, whereas under Del we have them in early January. I assume any late signings we make will due to complications in the deals as aposed to del rushing through last minute, spur of the moment deals which tend to be of no benifit to the club.

One part of his decision making i will critisize (spl?) is the decision to let Willie Dyer leave the club, unless he brings a top-class player in to compete with Goran i believe this decision will sit as the main blemish on his fairly good managerial record.

I was not convinced but he has quickly established his mark on the team with a more attack minded approach which is needed in the first division. Jacko and Mooner are definately benefitting and we now have a genuine goal threat from several players. Defensively the team is stronger now than under OC and I believe we are still a serious challenger for the league.

We would have dropped points yesterday under Owen Coyle.

When McInnes was named manager, I was worried he would lean too much towards the defensive aspect of the game, but he seems to recognise our strength in attack and has set out to improve the team defensively so the work of the attacking players doesn't go unnoticed, as it did so many times last season.

This side is now capable of stifling the opposition and grinding out victories, without playing 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes. We're a better team now. He will be in a lot of peoples good books because of his recognition for the younger players (Moon) and his signing of younger players.

McIntyre was causing problems for us when he came on yesterday so he brought McManus on and shuffled things about a bit so that we were better protected. We ended up with the three points so it worked. In the same situation I don't think Coyle would have made the change and it would have ended up 1-1.

Very pleased with him so far. I think if Coyle had stayed the season was in danger of peetering out but we have been revitalised somewhat so long may that continue.

At the time i thought a management change would be good after last seasons unfortunate circumstances - as Al has hinted at above.

I was sceptical of McInnes' appointment, but warmed to it in the first week or so and got used to the idea - lets face it, all we could do is get behind him and he is showing the fans why we should.

Although we still lack wins, the points we've got on the table through the draws has done us no harm at all, he's shown he's not afraid to change things and he's shown that he's willing to adapt to what's needed. Rather than stick with the same players. Credit to him.

I think the telling thing is that it looks as if the players wanted him in, and want to play for him - hence why some are willing to sign for him just now longer term and I think he will have better contacts than Coyle and prove this during the transfer windows.

Think Tony Docherty is a great person to have beside him too - experienced, knows the leagues and a very loyal guy.

'Mon the Blues!

I was completely unimpressed with his appointment as manager.

But on the evidence so far I have to admit the Board got it right.

Saints are playing better attacking football than I can remember for years and are actually entertaining to watch (despite occassional setbacks like Stirling). He has definitely strengthened the team, improved the tactics and seems to read a game well in terms of substitutions and tactical changes during games.

Keep up the good work Del

Well done Derek McInnes....Keep going in this direction and you'll become a Saints legend.I was not sure ,when he got the job, that it he was the right choice, but if we continue to improve as we have been doing and with Hardie to come back(Does anyone know when.I thought they said he'd be fit by the Raith game????) and a few decent signings he has already made, the only way is up.

We're coming to get you!!!!!!:D

We're coming to get you!!!!!!:D

I agree it has been a breath of fresh air and of course the exciting thing is we have an abundance of crocked players awaiting return. We played well yesterday without .......

Hardie

James

McBreen

McCaffrey

Weatherston

Mooner

Quinn ....gone

Deuchar..scoring for fun elsewhere at a lower team

Like most people wasn't sure about him, but think he's done a brilliant job. If he keeps going as he is he'll definately be a better manager than OC. Big test IMO is next season. I think Coyle's passion petered out after we didn't get promoted, and I hope McInnes keeps the team spirit going into next season. Think he should be able to if he's managed to motivate them to do well in a league that looked over for us by Xmas.