An open letter to St Johnstone Chairman Steve Brown

Calypso Kid

Just sent an email consisting of the below to the club. I have ben reading a few of the other letters and posts on here and its actually quite emotional seeing how strongly people feel about this. The club MUST listen to us!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Brown

I am writing to you, as I believe many others will be, in regards to the situation of Glasgow Rangers liquidation and potential re-emergence as a “Newco”. As a faithful supporter of St Johnstone FC I believe it is of up most importance that you are made fully aware of the feelings of the clubs fans in regards to this matter.

Since March of 1995, when I attended my first ever Saints game aged 11 (a 1-1 dray with Ayr United) I have had a love for the club that has been unbreakable. Despite being from a non-footballing family, and many of my peers and friends at school at the time expressing their support for one side of the Old Firm or some randomly selected English Premiership side, my love of football has been based solely on this premises: St Johnstone or nothing. In my time as a Saints fan I have had the pleasure of experiencing many highs and lows. This has included a league cup final, 2 first division titles, a European excursion and the 7-2 stuffing of Dundee. Coupled with this, however, it has also included relegation, runs of poor results and mediocre performances and agonisingly missing out on promotion by a matter of minutes a few years back. Regardless of this however, I have always been proud to be a Saints fan, and in many ways the ups and downs of the club have helped me shape my perspective on life and make me the person I am today.

In recent months, as I am sure you are fully aware, the situation regarding the financial troubles of Glasgow Rangers FC have been well documented across many sections of the media and footballing community in Scotland and the wider world. And after several months of their administration saga it has now become apparent that Her Majesties Revenue and Customs, the main creditor in the whole affair are to seek to liquidate that particular football club due to their failure to pay tax appropriately. Furthermore, as reported across many outlets of the media, they (HMRC) also wish to investigate the last 10 or so years of that clubs financial dealings, including its use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBT's) to pay its players in order to get to the root cause of its financial corruption issues. Further to this, the particular soon to be former football club also failed to pay a catalogue of other debts, many of which included payments outstanding to other football teams, some of which are members of the Scottish league system, thus bringing the game even further into disrepute.

In my own view it is in no way a good thing to see any club go under. However, Rangers cheated the system and as such have been made to pay for their behaviour through liquidation. I fully understandable that in such situations supporters of the affected club would wish to establish a new footballing entity in the vein of its predecessor , but in such circumstance I believe that it is only fair that any new entity that should replace the defunct Rangers FC should start from the the bottom of the league structure and work its way to the top. I can understand that due to the size and success of the defunct club that the temptation to allow a “Newco Rangers” to re-join the SPL ,albeit with some form of sanction, may be strong due to the financial benefit it may bring. However it is my belief, which is one shared by many other Saints fans as well as fans of other Scottish teams, that if this was to happen any ounce of sporting integrity or credibility that the Scottish league system has, would be in tatters. I also believe that the reputation of the clubs who would allow this to happen would also be greatly effected for the worse, and it would create a dangerous precedent for the game as a whole. I don’t believe the “Realpolitik” nature of the situation being pushed by some sections of the media and footballing community, where clubs would be biting the hand that feeds it if they vote no. There is strong evidence to suggest that the financial regime that was in place at Rangers allowed them to benefit at the cost of others, including the tax payer. It sickens me to think that whilst Saints were following a cautious and sensible financial regime, A model that both yourself and your father worked hard to establish, and at times had to defend from criticism when others were spending big, Rangers were handing out EBT's left, right and centre with the authorities being completely oblivious. It also sickens me to think that we should be held to ransom, along with other clubs with the false threat of financial oblivion if you don't vote yes to this “Newco”. If Rangers, new or old really are too big to fail then isn’t the whole structure of Scottish football, and especially the SPL a failure in its self? And if they are too big, are other smaller teams too small to care about?

I can fully accept that Sottish football is about to go into uncharted waters and there may be some choppy times ahead. But please do not turn your back on the fans that have put blood, sweat, tears and money into the club and made it part of their life. Please take the time to consult with the fans of this great club on how we feel. Whilst I cant speak for all, I personally feel if a newco are allowed straight back into the SPL, I will have pretty much had it with Scottish football, and if St Johnstone vote in favour of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you I will not be back to watch Saints ever again.

Therefore, as a supporter of Saints and a member of the Scottish footballing community I fully urge you to, regardless of any SPL proposed sanctions, VOTE NO TO THE NEWCO! If they want to start a fresh, they can start from the bottom and earn their place.

Best Wishes

Edited by Sheldo

Saints Inbox filling up. Will there be enough time to read the Emails before the vote is made?

Listening to your customer's is one of the fundamentals of surviving in business. More so these days when information and opinions can be shared at a lightening speed via social media, forums, email etc. Hopefully they are listening and taking their paying customers viewpoints into account when making their decision. Hopefully......

Edited by Coltrane

Sent this in yesterday:

Dear Sir,

As a lifelong St Johnstone fan, I wish to voice my displeasure at the potential Rangers situation before it is too late.

I have attended regularly since the age of 8, I am now 25 and will be looking to bring my young family into the Saints fold in the near future.

I don't currently have a Season Ticket. Over the past 6 years I have been a pay at the gate fan attending around 75% of home and away games.

I do however intend on purchasing a Season Ticket this year if the correct outcome arises from the Rangers debacle.

If Rangers are allowed back into the SPL as a Newco I will be lost to the senior Scottish game for good. I will not pay to watch any competition that i know is rigged before it begins.

Incidentally i'd also like to congratulate the club on some excellent and much needed ticketing incentives. I just hope the correct outcome arises from the Rangers situation because I know a large number of lifelong fans ready to walk away from the club regardless of the ticket price.

Kind regards,

Ryan Gordon

I'm pretty sure the chairmen would not be permitted to state which way they intend to vote in advance, as it could be deemed to intentionally influence other parties and incite lobbying. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the rules laid down by the SPL.

It would be typical of such a system that the right to vote would be lost.

Montrosesaintee - I really doubt that your premise is correct. In effect, you are suggesting that SPL rules prohibit club Chairmen from saying anything about this or any other issue, in case they might one day have to vote on it.

But for sake of argument, let's say your 'gagging order' assumption is correct. If it is, this is yet another example of the rotten nature of the current SPL set-up, which is mired in secrecy and behind-closed-doors dealing. It makes FIFA look squeaky clean!

Once Rangers are expelled, the next campaign should be to reform this awful set-up (support for which, I am sorry to say, was probably Geoff Brown's biggest mistake).

Back on topic - some of these latest letters to the Chairman are absolutely magnificent. Well done to everyone - and keep them coming, there's only 13 days to go before decision day!

Edited by Percy Johnston
Spelling error

Once Rangers are expelled, the next campaign should be to reform this awful set-up (support for which, I am sorry to say, was probably Geoff Brown's biggest mistake).

Back on topic - some of these latest letters to the Chairman are absolutely magnificent. Well done to everyone - and keep them coming, there's only 13 days to go before decision day!

It was/is his continued support for the SPL which was/is his biggest mistake.

Montrosesaintee - I really doubt that your premise is correct. In effect, you are suggesting that SPL rules prohibit club Chairmen from saying anything about this or any other issue, in case they night one day have to vote on it.

But for sake of argument, let's say your 'gagging order' assumption is correct. If it is, this is yet another example of the rotten nature of the current SPL set-up, which is mired in secrecy and behind-closed-doors dealing. It makes FIFA look squeaky clean!

The members of the SPL board have a "gagging order" but there is nothing preventing other chairmen (or indeed other club officials) stating their case.

Please excuse my complete ignorance in all this,my understanding is that Rangers get to vote at the meeting,but i have been led to believe that they go out of business before that (monday has been quoted somewhere) So as a company that in reality dont exist how can they vote ? :?

Can Rangers newco get back in to the Scottish Premier League?

When the company is liquidated, its registrations with the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Premier League will be terminated. The new company will not automatically inherit the old registrations.

The newco would have to request a transfer of Rangers' share in the SPL. The SPL will then vote on whether to admit the newco to the top-flight. The SPL rules require eight of its member clubs to vote in favour of a share to be transferred to another company or club. This would require seven other SPL clubs to vote in favour of transferring the oldco's share to the newco, since Rangers will have a vote.

Can Rangers newco get back in to the Scottish Premier League?

When the company is liquidated, its registrations with the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Premier League will be terminated. The new company will not automatically inherit the old registrations.

The newco would have to request a transfer of Rangers' share in the SPL. The SPL will then vote on whether to admit the newco to the top-flight. The SPL rules require eight of its member clubs to vote in favour of a share to be transferred to another company or club. This would require seven other SPL clubs to vote in favour of transferring the oldco's share to the newco, since Rangers will have a vote.

Pretty sure it's a 90% favour vote they need, per SPL rules as they stand. That may change.

apparently they need 8 votes to carry newclub into the SPL. So far they have..........2 defos themselves and Killie.

I just can't believe the filthy cheating bastards have a vote. Surely not. If the old club is gone and the new one hasn't yet been admitted how is this possible? Someone please explain.

I just can't believe the filthy cheating bastards have a vote. Surely not. If the old club is gone and the new one hasn't yet been admitted how is this possible? Someone please explain.

Like I said previously, it's like an accused person being allowed onto the jury deciding on their trial. I don't get it either

This is an astonishingly powerful thread - well done to all those who have been contacting the club, the press, etc. Let's all keep it up. I'm really proud today that I'm a Saints fan and not an Old Firm one. I think the fact that we're seeing posts on here from a lot of rare or first-time WAP users also says a lot about the strength of feeling. If Saints don't listen to us on this, then they don't deserve us.

This is an astonishingly powerful thread - well done to all those who have been contacting the club, the press, etc. Let's all keep it up. I'm really proud today that I'm a Saints fan and not an Old Firm one. I think the fact that we're seeing posts on here from a lot of rare or first-time WAP users also says a lot about the strength of feeling. If Saints don't listen to us on this, then they don't deserve us.

Exactly we need to keep it going. Apparently admin will last another 8-10 weeks. Where will that leave the Rangers in the SPL? Not in liquidation so will they just take admin penalties take up the fixtures and liquidate during the season in the hope they wont then be thrown out. Chairmen need to act now.

I have never seen anything unite fans of opposing teams in such a clear way.....there is a unanimous desire from supporters of all teams* that the integrity of the game MUST come before financial considerations

*with the obvious exclusion of large swaithes of the Rangers fans who still seem to blame everybody else and claim we need them

Exactly we need to keep it going. Apparently admin will last another 8-10 weeks. Where will that leave the Rangers in the SPL? Not in liquidation so will they just take admin penalties take up the fixtures and liquidate during the season in the hope they wont then be thrown out. Chairmen need to act now.

I agree with your last sentence, but the problem is that the Chairmen's meeting won't happen until 14 days after the SPL receives Green's proposals. I said earlier that there were now 13 days to go, but I was wrong - it turns out Green still hasn't submitted his proposals. The longer he now delays in doing so, the closer we get to the start of the new season.

Yet another example (not that we needed one) of how Rangers, even in their death throes, can manipulate the existing system to their advantage, without any concern for other clubs' wellbeing. :evil:

There is, of course, a solution which will be a get out of jail free card for all SPL chairmen. The SFA have still to apply a punishment and I heard a rumour today that they are seriously considering a 1 year suspension. If this comes to pass then can they survive a year out of the game. Again, does any suspension affect the 'newco' or the liquidated company?

Walter Smith leading a rival consortium. The media will lap this up so the momentum of this thread has to continue and the volume of emails be sustained. Smith's reputation changes nothing but it will provide a rallying cry for those that will do or day anything to save Rangers. No to CardiganCo

Charles Green now "owns" NEWCO will he sell to Smith.

That'll be because Green has an agreement with Dalziel & Pascoe over his purchase of Ibrox, Murray park etc. already in place? And price Green has to pay is agreed.

Hey diddle diddle,

The Cat and the fiddle,

The Cow jumped over the moon,

The little Dog laughed to see such sport,

And the Dish ran away with the Spoon

Like the RFC saga this little ditty defies explanation and is simply nonsense. However I ask myself in the context of the RFC Saga - who is the Cat, who is Cow, who are the Dog and the Dish, and who is on the fiddle.

unanimous desire from supporters of all teams* that the integrity of the game MUST come before financial considerations

I think the fact that Scottish football is so bereft of finance anyway has played a party in the vigour with which this has been pursued by fans. There is such a feeling of "it cant get any worse". Coupled with the feeling that even if it does get worse, there is a chance that means it will get better in the future.