Sing Me No Sad Songs

Brechiner

A good friend of mine who is a Saints supporter took me to Dundee on Saturday to see the match with Dundee FC. Since I live in Kinross but have a Dundonian mother and went to Dundee Tech as a student, I was in two minds as to where my loyalties lay but, taking into account that Dundee once beat Brechin 9-2 in the Scottish Cup and your club had been good enough to let us beat you 2-1 in 2003 on our way to the Bells Cup Final (we lost), I plumped for Saints. My friend's assurance that " I would be walking home if I didn't" swayed it.

Sitting among the Saints fans, I was treated to their choral renditions. Being a choral singer myself, I was impressed by the tightness and vigour of the performance. I was however, greatly saddened by the lyrics which could best be described as invective and concentrated on attacking social disadvantage. It occurred to me that, at a time we are considering independence, taunting fellow Scots over their misfortunes was out of place.

A choice selection included "in your Dundee slum", "Sign on, sign on with hope in your heart but you'll never get a job" and "You're goin' home to sh*g yer sister"

Was anybody watching the football, which, by the way, was pretty good. (only pretty good because I remember seeing Saints play under Wullie Ormond with John Connoly, Henry Hall and Fred Aitken among others gracing the field of what is now the central aisle of Asda).

Football is one of the greatest games in the world. Do we really have to descend into the gutter like we did on Saturday?

Comments please but wait till I put my tin hat on!

Brechiner

A good friend of mine who is a Saints supporter took me to Dundee on Saturday to see the match with Dundee FC. Since I live in Kinross but have a Dundonian mother and went to Dundee Tech as a student, I was in two minds as to where my loyalties lay but, taking into account that Dundee once beat Brechin 9-2 in the Scottish Cup and your club had been good enough to let us beat you 2-1 in 2003 on our way to the Bells Cup Final (we lost), I plumped for Saints. My friend's assurance that " I would be walking home if I didn't" swayed it.

Sitting among the Saints fans, I was treated to their choral renditions. Being a choral singer myself, I was impressed by the tightness and vigour of the performance. I was however, greatly saddened by the lyrics which could best be described as invective and concentrated on attacking social disadvantage. It occurred to me that, at a time we are considering independence, taunting fellow Scots over their misfortunes was out of place.

A choice selection included "in your Dundee slum", "Sign on, sign on with hope in your heart but you'll never get a job" and "You're goin' home to sh*g yer sister"

Was anybody watching the football, which, by the way, was pretty good. (only pretty good because I remember seeing Saints play under Wullie Ormond with John Connoly, Henry Hall and Fred Aitken among others gracing the field of what is now the central aisle of Asda).

Football is one of the greatest games in the world. Do we really have to descend into the gutter like we did on Saturday?

Brechiner

Good post.

worry you not though because it is simply BANTER.

You did miss out the classic...

I went out the other day & I got phucking plastered

I went home and punched the wife, cos she's a Dundee b******.

We don't really mean it Brechiner.. :wink:

Brechiner

Changed days from the days at Muirton where you could pick up a "set of darts" and a "dozen golfballs" courtesy of the opposing fans -coupled with cans of regurgitated beer in open cans.

Now its a bit of "winding up the opposing support" with songs about their city .

On matchday you have a few drinks in one of the away establishments and if yer lucky discuss the game prior to kick off with like minded supporters of the other team -Come 3 oclock or wotever time kick off occurs -the adrenalin switches to the "banter" ( sticks and stone may break yer bones so why should names etc hurt ye ).

Who cares what the young generation sing -its a lot better than the running battles that used to exist.

Brechiner

I'm not even remotely considering independence!

Sorry, you missed out a few. . . .

"I want to go home, Dundee's a sh@thole, I want to go home"

"he sh@gs who he wants, Stevie Lomas, he sh@gs who he wants"

"fat Dundee b@@tard, your just a fat Dundee B@@tard"

Don't think Saints v Dundee is the place for you on a Saturday im afraid!

Ah yes, "it's just banter", the rallying cry of bullies up and down the nation. I'm not entirely sure what sets "just banter" like "you're inferior because you're poor" apart from "unacceptable vulgarity" like "you're inferior because you're black" or "you're inferior because you're a homosexual" or even "you're inferior because you like the Pope".

The fact is, too much of Scottish football fandom, Hell, of Scottish culture in general, is hingeing on hatred of others. Just because things were worse in the past and BACK IN MAH DAY THE OPPOSING FANS WID NAIL YER BAWS TAE THE TERRACE AND THEN SET YIR MAMMIE ON FIRE doesn't mean this kind of putrid nonsense is acceptable today.

This post brought to you by the Guardian and a big bowl of lentils.

Edited by Saint Pomarium of Flats

Sure, we'd all love all our chants to be 100% pro-Saints rather than anti-opposition, but generally you have much more ammunition to be anti-opposition than anything else.

There's nothing more to it than (generally) friendly banter - I'm sure outwith Saints v Dundee days most of us would happily sit an have a pint with a Dundee fan, it has no bearing on your day-to-day life.....obviously with some exceptions.

Now, if only we could save most of the anti-Dundee chants for actual Dundee games :roll: *thinks of facepalm moments of "we hate Dundee" when playing United :roll:

It's just a bit of banter, not bullying. To demonstrate this, let us all gang up on Brechiner and abuse him. The dirty...pisskidney. If he can't handle the Real Man's Game of hurling insults at people who don't like the same colour of ball-kickers as us, then he should go have sex with a man, eeuuugh.

Dare I say that Brechiner is a pseudonym for another of our departed, trawling friends? And that this thread should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Saint Pom, while you are entitled to your opinion, i don't agree with it in the slightest. This is a Saints forum, full of Dundee hating Saints fans. Look at a Dundee forum, and you'll probably find the same level of hatred and disrespect aimed at us

Hi Sainties,

Sorry I don't live up to your manly ways.

I accept that many of you consider it banter but good humour seemed sadly lacking.

I'm not a killjoy so I'll leave it at that.

I would like to say that during that Brechin City game at McDairmid Park in 2003 (you know, the one where we beat you 2-1, did I mention it before?) I stood up among the Saints fans and shouted "stick it in the net" which our guy duly did and nobody told me to sit down even when I shouted "Yes!". Admittedly I had the element of surprise but I like to think it was that you are really pussy cats and your miaow is worse than your bite. I look forward to coming back to one of your games. But I wont be wearing my scarf!

Best Wishes,

Brechiner

PS I'm intrigued at the references to fish and trawling. We have got fish in Loch Leven but no cod.

Hi Sainties,

Sorry I don't live up to your manly ways.

I accept that many of you consider it banter but good humour seemed sadly lacking.

I'm not a killjoy so I'll leave it at that.

I would like to say that during that Brechin City game at McDairmid Park in 2003 (you know, the one where we beat you 2-1, did I mention it before?) I stood up among the Saints fans and shouted "stick it in the net" which our guy duly did and nobody told me to sit down even when I shouted "Yes!". Admittedly I had the element of surprise but I like to think it was that you are really pussy cats and your miaow is worse than your bite. I look forward to coming back to one of your games. But I wont be wearing my scarf!

Best Wishes,

Brechiner

PS I'm intrigued at the references to fish and trawling. We have got fish in Loch Leven but no cod.

do you have a twin brother with initials ss