What Was Your Favourite Saints Era/game?

saint-johns-toun

The Airdrie game was the best football match I've ever been to for excitement and atmosphere.  Thursday was a superb occasion and was the hardest result to stomach in 42 years of following Saints.  For pure nostalgia, the early games I went to with my Dad at Muirton were times I absolutely loved.  There's been some low points, but overall I've loved almost all my time as a Saintee.

The great side of the 60s-70s with Donaldson, Lambie, Coburn, McGarry, Rooney, Gordon, Connolly, Pearson, Aird, Aitken, Rennie, Whitelaw and the incomparable Henry Hall.

Another game I remember fondly was the 1969 league cup quarter final first leg against Falkirk. The run up to this game was amazing, saints had won all six of their section games against Dundee, Kilmarnock and partick thistle, including an 8-1 tanking of Thistle at Firhill. Also, I think they had not yet lost a league game that season. Saints were 2-1 up and Falkirk were trying desperately hard for the equaliser. Goalkeeper Donaldson was off his line and in front of an open goal a Falkirk player shot, hit the post, hit the post again with the rebound but before he could make it third time lucky a saints defender appeared to kick the ball away. Saints gradually gained the upper hand and were rewarded with a goal around 75 minutes. It could not have been much more than a minute later when Saints scored again. I remember the sound of the stamping of feet from the normally reserved patrons of the wooden Muirton stand, as falkirk defenders lay on the ground looking daggers at each other. You had a feeling that something wonderful was going to happen as it did with a fifth goal minutes before time, a 6-2 win in the second leg at Brockville (how often do you get11-3 aggregates these days?), a 2-0 win against Motherwell in the semi and a day out at hampden for saints first ever national cup final, only to lose by a single goal to Celtic.

Definitely happy days.

The Airdrie game was the best football match I've ever been to for excitement and atmosphere.  Thursday was a superb occasion and was the hardest result to stomach in 42 years of following Saints.  For pure nostalgia, the early games I went to with my Dad at Muirton were times I absolutely loved.  There's been some low points, but overall I've loved almost all my time as a Saintee.

Could not agree with your post more..point for point you have said what I feel..

As a Saints fan you know for every high there will be a low! Thursday hurt more than most because we will not get another chance to proceed as far as that again!

Airdrie game! In all my time as a Saints fan I have never experienced the way the fans got behind their team that day! They definitely were the 12th man that day!? Get goosebumps thinking about it yet!?

Another game I remember fondly was the 1969 league cup quarter final first leg against Falkirk. The run up to this game was amazing, saints had won all six of their section games against Dundee, Kilmarnock and partick thistle, including an 8-1 tanking of Thistle at Firhill. Also, I think they had not yet lost a league game that season. Saints were 2-1 up and Falkirk were trying desperately hard for the equaliser. Goalkeeper Donaldson was off his line and in front of an open goal a Falkirk player shot, hit the post, hit the post again with the rebound but before he could make it third time lucky a saints defender appeared to kick the ball away. Saints gradually gained the upper hand and were rewarded with a goal around 75 minutes. It could not have been much more than a minute later when Saints scored again. I remember the sound of the stamping of feet from the normally reserved patrons of the wooden Muirton stand, as falkirk defenders lay on the ground looking daggers at each other. You had a feeling that something wonderful was going to happen as it did with a fifth goal minutes before time, a 6-2 win in the second leg at Brockville (how often do you get11-3 aggregates these days?), a 2-0 win against Motherwell in the semi and a day out at hampden for saints first ever national cup final, only to lose by a single goal to Celtic.

Definitely happy days.

And the Saints player beat us to the Sally dont know how they did it

Starting going in the late 80's but my favourite era was 1993 - 2000. Never missed a game, home or away. Carefree attitude to following Saints. Would travel to places like Inverness and Elgin for midweek friendlies knowing fine well there was no way of getting home unless we blagged a lift from someone after the game. Eternal gratitude to those souls who took pity on two daft teenagers.

Happy times. Some good footballing memories too. From late 1995 through to 1999 in particular was a great time to be a Saints fan. Our final 18 months in Division 1 were an utter joy. We started 95/96 badly and despite an amazing turnaround at New Year we just missed out in 1996.

96/97 we were devastating at times. Partick away 4-0 twice, Falkirk away 4-1, Dundee away 5-1, Dundee 7-2 etc etc.

I honestly believe that squad don't get the recognition and plaudits they deserve and their place in St. Johnstone folklore needs to be raised. Brilliant times.

Oddly enough it's a fairly unimportant game in the history of the club, but the game I always remember fondly was the first of the 2007/2008 season. It was our first league match since losing the title to Gretna, and we took a decent support down to Dumfries to play Queen of the South. Think we were down 3-1 with 10 minutes to go, before we snatched one back leaving an incredible finale. As Martin Hardie, the man I'd grown to love the season before, got the ball and rifled it through the keepers legs before sprinting into the support and causing a huge surge of bodies towards the pitch. I ended up at the bottom of the stairs without any idea how I managed it

As I say, it wasn't really that spectacular a game, considering we only drew and then finished that season miles behind Hamilton, and Dundee. But it's stuck with me for whatever reason

Was a brilliant moment that. MMM ran over and my wee lad, who was three at time managed to get lifted up by Hardie. Loved that guy. Wish we signed him much earlier than we did. Will always be a Saints hero to me.

I grew during the Sturrock and Clark era's, only just remember Totten, and the two stand out games from that time has to be sitting in the Ormond stand for St Johnstone 7 - 2 Scumdee.

The 3-3 with Monaco was the other one, with special mentions to 3-0 in the Hearts semi final and the League Cup final. We might have lost but they played well and to see saints in a final was cracking!

Hopefully get back up this season to see them in another final!

Maybe not a big game but but against Albion Rovers I think it was when we were 2-0 down with about 10 minutes to go and we ended up winning 5-2.

That was some come-back.

Did we not then go on a big run and win the league?

That is so weird....I was literally just thinking about that game when reading this thread!!

Paul Cherry was the hero that day

Maybe not a big game but but against Albion Rovers I think it was when we were 2-0 down with about 10 minutes to go and we ended up winning 5-2.

That was some come-back.

Did we not then go on a big run and win the league?

That was the only game I missed that season. As I remember it, we were in the middle of an unbeaten run. Listened to the updates on radio Scotland, back when they seemed to have more of an interest in football outside of the old firm, , top flight circus.

Fond memories of a League Cup game at Tynecastle in 1994 won 4-2. Unfortunately Raith Rovers knocked us out in the next round I still think that is the best away support (not the biggest I know) I have ever seen at McD (although Caledonian pre merger with Inverness Thistle was good as well) .............. sorry for going off topic

Fond memories of a League Cup game at Tynecastle in 1994 won 4-2. Unfortunately Raith Rovers knocked us out in the next round I still think that is the best away support (not the biggest I know) I have ever seen at McD (although Caledonian pre merger with Inverness Thistle was good as well) .............. sorry for going off topic

Late 90s 4sure, rem some muirton nights, the cup tie vs Aberdeen when we had to put up barriers was prob earliest best memory..singing 'Charlie Nicholas is a W@nker' was my first saints song!!!!

If I am correct, I am sure that Aberdeen actually paid for the permanent segregation fencing for us in order that we could play the game at home