May Away?

cristo

Apparently, according to their fans Falkirk haven't received the money they are owed so the development fee route looks dodgy.

Falkirk haven't received a single penny from that deal as the player was leaving one association for another and Bradford found some loophole. FIFA ordered Bradford to pay it, but they appealed, and its still rumbling on almost two years later

You aren't guaranteed anything with the development route, and using the fact Falkirk got so much for Stewart is actually bad for your argument as they never received anything

Falkirk haven't received a single penny from that deal as the player was leaving one association for another and Bradford found some loophole. FIFA ordered Bradford to pay it, but they appealed, and its still rumbling on almost two years later

You aren't guaranteed anything with the development route, and using the fact Falkirk got so much for Stewart is actually bad for your argument as they never received anything

They haven't yet but if FIFA have ordered Bradford to pay I can't see an appeal working. FIFA is a dictatorship in every way, you play by their rules or else!

They haven't yet but if FIFA have ordered Bradford to pay I can't see an appeal working. FIFA is a dictatorship in every way, you play by their rules or else!

FIFA are beatable in court though. Bosman showed this, and there's rumours that they'll lose out in a court battle over these new Financial Fair Play rules. The fee Bradford have to pay is already coming down anyway

Rule of thumb in any buisness take the money when it is there.

Old clichies Bird in the hand

Never look a gift horse

etc etc etc .

But do you take the money even though you know it will significantly weaken the position of your business? Do you sell out at the first time of asking or do you try to grow your business, keep hold of your prized assets and aim to build a successful future for your business?

FIFA are beatable in court though. Bosman showed this, and there's rumours that they'll lose out in a court battle over these new Financial Fair Play rules. The fee Bradford have to pay is already coming down anyway

Bradford wont take fifa to court over it though. Court fees etc will be expensive and almost worthwhile just paying the fee to Falkirk,, particularly if they have a chance of losing and still having to pay the fee anyway

If we keep him I reckon he'll bag 15-20 this season. That might see us finish a place or two higher than we otherwise might. That might mean an extra £80-£160,000 in prize money alone. If we sell him will it put some people off coming, if they think we're just going to get shot of our best players? Who knows. And that's before you take into account the fact he'll still be worth something at the end of his current contract, or worth a fee if we can tie him down for another year.

Also, I just think he looks a cracking player and I want to see him in a Saints shirt for this year at least. Very talented lad.

Bradford wont take fifa to court over it though. Court fees etc will be expensive and almost worthwhile just paying the fee to Falkirk,, particularly if they have a chance of losing and still having to pay the fee anyway

Last I heard they were taking legal advice from the same lawyers who took on the FA and got them re-instated into the FA Cup. The most likely outcome is that the price will be massive lower than £250k if they pay anything at all

Edited by RandomGuy

People that think he will sign a 2 or 3 year contract with Saints are dreaming, imo. I would love him to, but really can't see it happening.

He'll either be away either within the next week, or at the end of the season. There are too many 'should've taken my chance' stories out there for him to risk staying and being forgotten about - did Gary Irvine not turn down a move to England while he was with us? Same with Danny Griffin? Others have been mentioned too in this thread. Loyalty will win you the hearts of fans, but it won't set you up for life like a few years in the big leagues can.

I really hope that Saints can hold onto him until the summer, when he'll no doubt have bigger teams that Peterborough looking at him.

People that think he will sign a 2 or 3 year contract with Saints are dreaming, imo. I would love him to, but really can't see it happening.

He'll either be away either within the next week, or at the end of the season. There are too many 'should've taken my chance' stories out there for him to risk staying and being forgotten about - did Gary Irvine not turn down a move to England while he was with us? Same with Danny Griffin? Others have been mentioned too in this thread. Loyalty will win you the hearts of fans, but it won't set you up for life like a few years in the big leagues can.

I really hope that Saints can hold onto him until the summer, when he'll no doubt have bigger teams that Peterborough looking at him.

Yes - I agree with you here.  The other side of course is that there are also lots of examples of 'promising player heads South' and then disappears.  It's a gamble for May either way.  My hope is that he stays for the season.  When I go to the fitba', I want to a) see Saints win and B) be entertained.  I believe Stevie makes a) more possible and he already ticks the box on B)

Yes - I agree with you here. The other side of course is that there are also lots of examples of 'promising player heads South' and then disappears.

You're right, it's a gamble either way. He might go down and become the next Mcarthy or Mcarthur, or he could end up like Goodwillie or Wylde and pop up back in the SPL in a couple of years. Or shopping round the lower leagues like Kieran Mcanespie.

Tough call for a young guy to make.

Think Saints need to think commercially while looking after SM's interests. SM needs game time, goals and plenty media exposure - will most likely not get this in Pborough. Stay with Saints and both benefit - SM can hedge his bets if Saints offer deal extension with bonus payment linked to goals scored target BUT add in transfer fee trigger for next season and SM to get a proportion of fee say (25pc ) if deal agreed. Job done.

Think Saints need to think commercially while looking after SM's interests. SM needs game time, goals and plenty media exposure - will most likely not get this in Pborough. Stay with Saints and both benefit - SM can hedge his bets if Saints offer deal extension with bonus payment linked to goals scored target BUT add in transfer fee trigger for next season and SM to get a proportion of fee say (25pc ) if deal agreed. Job done.

Great first post KK, welcome to the forum.

Great first post KK, welcome to the forum.

Yes, welcome to Stevie May's agent :wink: