Away Support Appreciation Thread

ex-montrosesaintee

I remember early 80s, some of the antics we used to get up to was far worse than this (not that I agree with spitting, smaahing up seats etc). 2 games spring to mind.....Raith Rovers away, a few lads climbed onto the metal railings on the roof, swung over to the home support and hanging from the beams started kicking the away fans. Funny as to see it.

Falkirk away. About 30 of us got the train down, stopped off in Stirling and ran amok round the town. After the game, running battles with the Falkirk support back to the station then they bricked the train. We stopped off in Stirling again and had running battles with the Stirling boys only for the police to wait till it was all over then come in and nick the lot of us. As 16/17 year olds we thought it was a brilliant day out. Away days back then were always better than home games.

I remember we had a baseball bat stashed underneath the passenger seat in my mates car, and laterally in mine. It was deployed on a couple of occasions as you faught your way back to the car and then had to clear your path to drive off!!

I remember early 80s, some of the antics we used to get up to was far worse than this (not that I agree with spitting, smaahing up seats etc). 2 games spring to mind.....Raith Rovers away, a few lads climbed onto the metal railings on the roof, swung over to the home support and hanging from the beams started kicking the away fans. Funny as to see it.

Falkirk away. About 30 of us got the train down, stopped off in Stirling and ran amok round the town. After the game, running battles with the Falkirk support back to the station then they bricked the train. We stopped off in Stirling again and had running battles with the Stirling boys only for the police to wait till it was all over then come in and nick the lot of us. As 16/17 year olds we thought it was a brilliant day out. Away days back then were always better than home games.

Oh the memories of the Stirling 30 .

Remember when we all got nicked we were takin back to the cop shop in Stirling all lined up taking our names in turn when the duty sergeant says "right next up to the bar" and I think it was Greg T ( you know who you are ) goes up and says "I'll have a pint oh lager " only to be hit back with Fae the smart arse plod " you could nae handle a pint oh lager son "

I hope the young guys go on and keep creating the atmosphere. Bit of gobbing or a broken seat or two is nowt compared with some of the stuff we got up to back in the 70s-80s.

The only thing I object to are actions that might damage our club, like the smoke bombs at the UEFA games.

Edited by babychunder

I hope the young guys go on and keep creating the atmosphere. Bit of gobbing or a broken seat or two is nowt compared with some of the stuff we got up to back in the 70s-80s.

The only thing I object to are actions that might damage our club, like the smoke bombs at the UEFA games.

But it's not the 70's/80's now. Things are viewed differently, though perhaps not by us older ones.

I'm all for atmosphere and the youngsters have made away games especially so much better, but within what is decent and reasonable. That precluded spitting and damage :)

Edited by andrew

Like gobbing on opposition players?  Or breaking seats on other clubs' stadia?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say I approved of either of these behaviours, just observed that they were lesser sins than some committed in my younger days.

I did notice that the 70s/80s were over, BTW. :roll:

But it's not the 70's/80's now. Things are viewed differently, though perhaps not by us older ones.
I'm all for atmosphere and the youngsters have made away games especially so much better, but within what is decent and reasonable. That precluded spitting and damage :)

I didn't say I approved of either of these behaviours, just observed that they were lesser sins than some committed in my younger days.

I did notice that the 70s/80s were over, BTW. :roll:

It's was more a general comment than one directed at you.

Some folk think cos they did worse back then that its ok now for anything less to happen.

No criticism intended :)

Good show! Two young fans in the making in front of me singing dancing baiting the away support! Their boyish enthusiasm was heartwarming. Only slightly dampened by one of the wee boy's granny telling them to sit down! Certainly brought a wee smile to my face hahaha! (They could only be 10/11 at most)