The World Cup

Abernethy Saint

I know a couple of people at work who have gone. They managed to get tickets for some pretty good games too, including one of the quarter finals.

For me, this is the least excited I've ever been about a World Cup - but I think it's partly because nothing can now match Saints being in the Scottish Cup Final less than a month ago.

Quite enjoyed the opening match though.

Now you know why OF fans dont support Scotland.

The world cup has been a bit flat in the build up for a few reasons

1. Scotland not there

2. No saintees or ex-saintees representing i.e Mark Paston, Rory Fallon, Collin Samuel or alike

3. The England media haven't been trumpeting the chances of winning much at all this year

4. FIFA and Sebb Blatter are turning the world cup in to some side-show much akin to what Bernie Eccleston has done to F1 where by football is very much the loser

I am feeling very ambivalent towards our neighbours across the border regarding their progress in the competition, now they seem to have taken on some sort of defeatist type under dog tag.   Although I am positive my usual levels of ABE will be restored after they turn back in to world beaters after a turgid 0-0 with Italy, just in time to fully enjoy humblings by Costa Rica and Uruguay.

My thoughts on Adrian Chiles appear to have been captured above, however the fat wanker shouldn't be any where a TV programme, and should have stuck to presenting Working Lunch, which at least served as public service by giving people the motivation to find a job that meant they weren't home during the day.  I am positive his verbal diarrhoea would have been curtailed by the ominous speck-tor of Roy Keane threatening to chin him, but alas not for this world cup.  Mute button will be required. 

Oscar's toe poke from 20 yards into the bottom left corner had something very familiar about it :D

I thought Croatia were smart. They gave Brazil a bit of space until they got it wide to the full backs and then closed them down immediately. Alves and Marcello were anonymous as an attacking threat, and equally absent in defence. Croatia had 2 left wingers playing and Olic in particular put in an immense shift and some excellent crosses.

Jelavic is pish though. Mayso would get a game at Hull.

Olic impressed me reminded me off Bobby Kemp

Edited by john.w

just guessing   ....

Mexico v Cameroon - this might be very close with Mexico passing for retension and Cameroon more direct with flair and colour. Maybe a win for Cameroon. Eto up front for Cameroon and Hernandez on the bench for Mexico.

Spain v Holland - worth watching even if it's ba 0-0 draw just for the personalities, style, approach, tactics and quality. Spain win maybe

Chile v Australia - Well Chile are a lot of people's dark hirses based on results performences over recent times. Oz like the USA will give it all. I think a Chile win but ....

It's like the opening games of a league season you just don't know how things will pan out.

I think folk should lay off Adrian Chiles.

The guy has come a long way since he played the drums on the Dairy Milk advert

Ha ha Das Rav.

You know and I know the guy is shite.

No personality or charisma, I"ll better stop there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably in the same boat, but no one is throwing megga bucks my way.

If only.........

just guessing   ....

Mexico v Cameroon - this might be very close with Mexico passing for retension and Cameroon more direct with flair and colour. Maybe a win for Cameroon. Eto up front for Cameroon and Hernandez on the bench for Mexico.

Spain v Holland - worth watching even if it's ba 0-0 draw just for the personalities, style, approach, tactics and quality. Spain win maybe

Chile v Australia - Well Chile are a lot of people's dark hirses based on results performences over recent times. Oz like the USA will give it all. I think a Chile win but ....

It's like the opening games of a league season you just don't know how things will pan out.

Tell me you went nowhere near a bookies today  :neutral:

Jeepers. Holland might put ten past Brazil.

Could easily have been 10.

Why were Spain playing with a striker. They dont normally do they. De Costa is crap. Good luck Chelsea.

Robben was unplayable by the way.

Edited by Cagey

Queer how a certain day /month has a habit of throwing up a big result .

On the 13the June 1963 ....... Spain 2....Scotland 6.

How times change .

Notice on BBC that Engerland gave football to the World .

What they don't tell you is that 2 Scots introduced football to Brazil .

Miller was English according to them.