Motm Saints 1 - Fc Luzern 1 - 24/07/14 Elq2 2Nd Leg (Saints Win 5-4 On Pens)

ex-montrosesaintee

MOTM Saints 1 - FC Luzern 1 - 24/07/14 ELQ2 2nd LEG (SAINTS WIN 5-4 ON PENS)  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A genuinely hard choice tonight.  14 absolute heroes in my opinion.  Mannus was superb, and really didn't put a foot wrong.  It was a good penalty save as well.  May's penalty in the shootout might be the most unstoppable penalty I've ever seen.  Chris Millar was immense for about 100 minutes but was dead on his feet for the last 20.  (Loved it when MacKay literally picked him up)

I think I've got to go for Scott Brown though.  19 years old, 3rd start for the first team, against such quality.  We've got a new star on our hands.

I thought his best days were behind him but Cap'n Dave worked his socks off in a defence that was all over the place at times. Close between him and Brown but old Dave shades it. Millar who tweaked a hamstring near the end deserves a mention despite the referee thinking he was faking his injury when he clearly pulled up making a decisive tackle. O'Halleron in the 1st half was unplayable.

Edited by Saintdunc

Whilst every player that played in the 120 mins was a credit to the club, There were a few standouts.

Scott Brown has such a drive about him that he strolls through games, he has showed that he can deal with the ball under pressure whilst facing himself against an excellent Luzern midfield. We didn't get to see his full range of oassing last night, he had to sit very deep and break up play, this was done very effectively and he gave great protection to the back four when Luzern broke on us.

Dave Mackay was our best defender by a long, long way. After the semi-catastrophic start that Frazer Wright had, it was down to cuptie to deal with the movement of the Luzern forwards. Mackay dealt with all kind of threats, high balls, through balls and blocking shots. To me he showed what an excellent footballer he is last night, and we are very lucky to have him and to have had him for five years.

Chris Millar. The beautiful man himself. The cliche "Big game player" was made for Midgey. He shows a consistency in the standard league matches, but lifts himself for the big games. Numerous examples of this. Motherwell at the end of the Lomas season, Trondheim, Aberdeen at Ibrox. And most definitely last night. The first hour he was on another planet. Strolling through the midfield but running himself into the ground in the process. He drifted into space in both flanks, allowing May to pose a threat centrally, his ball retention was outstanding, if there was a Luzern player steaming towards him (or Brown), they never looked worried. He was properly Scobbied at the end of the game and he deserves all the much deserved plaudits he will get from this game because although he can be frustrating at times, he is a consistent performer who gives his all every week and will never get as much praise as he deserves.

I don't want any of these players to leave ever. Every man is playing in the greatest era of our history and are heroes.

Edited by ajs

All 13 deserve it.

Brooner gets it though.

A word for McLean who at 120 mins was still running like a yougster. Fit as **** for a 34 year old.

He's only 31!

I've gone from Brown. Once again, he was absolutely outstanding. Mannus pulled out some excellent saves (including the penalty) and Millar's energy was boundless, but Brown really looks like a special player.

He's only 31!

I've gone from Brown. Once again, he was absolutely outstanding. Mannus pulled out some excellent saves (including the penalty) and Millar's energy was boundless, but Brown really looks like a special player.

Just a kid then. Wasn't sure of his age but thoght he was into his 30s.

I'm not able to vote but so heart warming to hear so many players put every last bit of energy to stick together and pull through. Sounds like 14 heroes with no one letting the side down. What a team spirit and what a relationship between players and fans. When you read the players tweets on the OS, the same message was on all of them,...what a team spirit and what incredible backing from the support.

It was a nervous night, and for much of the game Saints were outsung by 550 Luzern fans who were absolutely radio rental.  It wasn't quite the same atmosphere as the Minsk game last year, but I think that was simply down to how good Luzern were and that the whole game was an uphill struggle.  The 8,000 Saints fans made up for it in extra time though, the atmosphere changed completely and lifted the team massively.  I'd go as far as to say that for the last 10 minutes we were the stronger team, which was a superhuman effort from the players.

During the penalties the noise was mental.

It was Mannus all the way for me! Technically, we were second best, but tactically, and in terms of work-rate, we were miles ahead. You got the feeling Lucerne just have no bite, but that a Stevie or two could always pop one in for us. It will be interesting to see us play a team of less quality than Lucerne - could run riot, or will it be another Minsk.