Saints V Dundee 13/09/14

slf

Well that was poor. No good points.

Playing 1 up front at home WTF.

O`Halloran & Wotherspoon were worse than useless.

Fair enough we had injuries but playing Graham up front with Midge in support was plain stupid. Midge is best in midfield especially deep.

Nothing I have seen of Morgan has convinced me he is a footballer. Today confirmed it. Why did we let Kane go.

Who are we going to play up front against Arabs. I don`t think we even have a striker in under 19s.

Not a good performance at all today. Dundee had more appetite and determination to win second balls etc. Not having one shot at goal during 90 mins is criminal.

Not a fan of 4-5-1 at home tbh, it shows lack of ambition and just promotes the long punt up the park. I agree Graham had a decent game but he needs support running off of him closer.

Nothing worse than a smug Dundonian!

To be fair to them though they did applaude the Scottish cup and Ryder cup as they were paraded in front of them!

Croft doesn't add much to the game coming off the bench, whereas O'Halloran has shown he can have an impact late on.

Wrong way round from the gaffer today IMO.

Also,one man up front for a home game, stinks!, and always will.  We have no pace out wide, and the quality of the crossing is rank.

Graham had no one to work with, and the service he received was p**s poor.

Too many players off the pace...and I use the word pace with caution as this seems to be our problem! not one player today played with any drive to get forward from the start! noone looked to pickup a return pass..no movement! Tommy has stated in recent weeks that the team hav'nt got started on the front foot in the early stages of games and stamped their authority...this was one game when we should have started well, given the international break it should have ensured the players were fully recovered and left them refreshed after the last few months! unfortunately we failed to threaten Dundee and sat far too deep to be able to play out to our midfield which resulted once again in too many balls thumped forward with our sole striker expected to hold the ball. When Graham failed to gather the ball (not his fault on most occasions) the ball inevitably fell into Dundee's possession and put us under pressure too often. I suppose it's just one game and with trips to Inverness and Dundee coming up and a cup trip to Kilmarnock I doubt very much whether the tactics we adopt will change much, but let's hope the players at least change their mindset, work hard and offer us at least a few goalkeeping saves an odd corner now and again and perhaps a goal without conceding... but perhaps I'm asking too much for my £20 odd quid each week! Tommy has stated that at 9 points we're still better off points wise than we were this time last season, but we should really be at least 6 points ahead of where we are now...giving the performances of our rivals in the matches against Hamilton, Celtic and today against Dundee! Early days yet, but with injuries and suspensions the current squad will have to step up quickly. 

I said that on the way out, you'd think they had won the cup, however they had beat us so maybe sour grapes from me! 

actually they saw two cups today so that put them into frenzy  

One game out of the season - we played pish and they still only beat us 1-0

They celebrated like they won the league - #embarassing

Edited by Center Half

Can,t expect chairman to foresee injuries but what I would expect him to do is have the intelligence to see that selling your main striker is fine but relying on Steven McLean to be fit for a whole season given his previous injuries is a major risk. Kane is a complete novice Stevie Mays come round once every ten years if you are lucky. All very reminiscent of when we lost Jason Scotland and replaced him with Dyron Daal.

Dundee fans did exactly what we would have done if the roles were reversed. Never mind we can always look and marvel at the ground renovations as we are getting gubbed in the next few home games. As one of our former successful managers said it only takes one goal to beat a team that can,t score.

Really disappointing. Very negative to line up at home to dundee with one up front, it's not as if we have midfielders running beyond the striker in support. Agree BG did ok upfront on his own but we created nothing, not a shot at goal at home v dundee is criminal.

Thought lappin at least tried to add some energy and drive to the side, he's surely got to start next week. 5 home games, all well over 6000 at home for the first time in years and we've only scored 3 goals in total, 1 in the league. It's not going to entice too many occasionals back on a regular basis!

It was always going to be hard to replace May, (also Nigel and big chris), but we look very short on strikers. Agree with the point that it looks a poor decision to let Kane out on loan with such poor cover. Even more so without macca now. Either the midfielders start weighing in with goals, or our chairman is going to have to get the cheque book out to get a free-agent in.

Pretty much agree with what already been said. Playing 1 up front at home against what looked, on this showing, like a pretty ordinary Dundee side was disappointing to say the least. BG did his best with very little support from the midfield. Too many long punts up to BG suited the Dundee back 4 down to the ground. On the few occasions we put their defence under pressure guys like McPake & Irvine looked vunerable but I can't remember their keeper making a save. I don't know what Dundee's budget is but despite signing about 12 new players & their talk of finishing in the top 6 I think they were there for the taking today if we had put in the sort of performance we showed against Aberdeen. Obviously Macca & Scobbie were a big miss but we still should've created more than we did. Millar had another good game & I thought replacing O'Halloran with Morgan didn't improve matters up front. So far Morgan doesn't look like he can offer us much. If Macca is going to be out for at least 4 weeks I wonder if TW will be allowed to sign anyone else as I can't see where the goals are going to come from. 1 plus point was another 6000+ crowd.

Dundee now unbeaten in 8 league and cup matches plus pre season victories 3-0 over Hearts and 2-0 over Man City (playing Fernando, Navas, Rodwell, Jovetic, Nasri and Negredo amongst others). Edit: and forgot to mention last week's domination of Celtic.

Fans of every team that played Dundee since the start of the season have claimed their team played terrible but maybe just maybe Dundee are actually a very good side and are making teams look worse than they actually are and maybe fans shouldn't be too hard on their own players who probably are making as big an effort as usual.

And thank you very much St Jonhstone and congratulations on winning the Scottish Cup.

The 3500 Dundee fans in attendance today really appreciated that.

We love St Jonhstone although the feeling is obviously not reciprocated.

Edited by DFC1893

The 3500 Dundee fans in attendance today 

where were they all then ?

north stand holds 2000 and wasn't completely full .ye had a few hundred in the west stand and a 2-300 in the ormond family stand.

ye had about 2500  i would say.am dissapointed ye never brought 3000 though.

well done on winning see ye at shit hole dens in a few months.

There was NEVER 3,500 coagies at McD today, 2,500 at the very most. BUT It has to very said, they were the better team. Saints were shite, the only starting players I'd give plus marks to, were Graham and Mannus.

That has to be the worst I've seen Saints play for many years. The Saints Choir were very quiet today, the players no doubt missed their input.

Morgan needs games but have not seen anything yet?

What he needs is to learn you get clattered over the course of the game and you'll never make a career in the game by avoiding it. Looked shit scared everytime someone came near him, everything so tentative about him as he seems convinced he'll be clattered so is protecting himself, maybe he had a bad injury at some point and hasn't recovered mentally