Saints V Dundee 13/09/14

slf

Dundee now unbeaten in 8 league and cup matches plus pre season victories 3-0 over Hearts and 2-0 over Man City (playing Fernando, Navas, Rodwell, Jovetic, Nasri and Negredo amongst others). Edit: and forgot to mention last week's domination of Celtic.

Fans of every team that played Dundee since the start of the season have claimed their team played terrible but maybe just maybe Dundee are actually a very good side and are making teams look worse than they actually are and maybe fans shouldn't be too hard on their own players who probably are making as big an effort as usual.

And thank you very much St Jonhstone and congratulations on winning the Scottish Cup.

The 3500 Dundee fans in attendance today really appreciated

We love St Jonhstone although the feeling is obviously not reciprocated.

you had 1800 in the North stand, 500 tops in the Main Stand . And a couple of hundred squeaky voices in the Ormond stand. If your mob brought 3500 through then your city rivals

brought 20,000 the last time they were here. DONT believe every thing you hear on the beeb.

Useless yesterday but still an easy 3 points, we really need to buck up our ideas around the box. I had 3-0 at 40-1 wi Ladbrokes, a decent striker and it could easily have been 3. Outclassed, outnumbered, outfought, out sang, but Saints should stay up. 

Useless yesterday but still an easy 3 points, we really need to buck up our ideas around the box. I had 3-0 at 40-1 wi Ladbrokes, a decent striker and it could easily have been 3. Outclassed, outnumbered, outfought, out sang, but Saints should stay up.

Maybe if you'd created any more chances you could have had three. But you didn't. For all Dundee's good work and good defending the one thing they didn't do throughout is get behind us and threaten a second and third goal.

That's the most frustrating thing-we conceded an awful goal and lost because of it.

Where does one start? Our so called lack of finances therefore our lack of investment in players have come home to roost. Two players injured and our team falls apart. The players on the park were very lathargic and struggled to play as a team. The performance was like a preseason match. In my opinion two reasons the players had too much time off because of the internaional weekend and players not being match fit. Why not match fit? Because they are not getting 90 mins.An example O'Halloran at the end of last seadon was playing well because he play 90 mins of the majority of games Croft and Hassalbaink were left on the bench. This season I struggle to think of 2 games in row when he played the full 90 mins. You do not need a watch to tell you how long there is left. With 60 mins on the clock O'Halloran is comming on or going off. In my opinion it is because he is trying to keep players happy by playing them in some part of the match the players are lacking match fitness and sharpness. I trust TW but his constant changing of players does nothing to create a settled team. He should decide what his best team is and play it. But going back to my original point the lack of cover at the back and up front is a problem. Yesterday he played 451 not everybodys favourate nor mine. He was never going to sub his back 4 or his striker hence it was the ususal any 3 from the midfield 5. The midfield were in disaray and the changes did nothing to improve it. As I have said before our great game is all about opinins and I believe 451 does not work. Rant over and I hope this was a one off performance.

Where does one start? Our so called lack of finances therefore our lack of investment in players have come home to roost. Two players injured and our team falls apart. The players on the park were very lathargic and struggled to play as a team. The performance was like a preseason match. In my opinion two reasons the players had too much time off because of the internaional weekend and players not being match fit. Why not match fit? Because they are not getting 90 mins.An example O'Halloran at the end of last seadon was playing well because he play 90 mins of the majority of games Croft and Hassalbaink were left on the bench. This season I struggle to think of 2 games in row when he played the full 90 mins. You do not need a watch to tell you how long there is left. With 60 mins on the clock O'Halloran is comming on or going off. In my opinion it is because he is trying to keep players happy by playing them in some part of the match the players are lacking match fitness and sharpness. I trust TW but his constant changing of players does nothing to create a settled team. He should decide what his best team is and play it. But going back to my original point the lack of cover at the back and up front is a problem. Yesterday he played 451 not everybodys favourate nor mine. He was never going to sub his back 4 or his striker hence it was the ususal any 3 from the midfield 5. The midfield were in disaray and the changes did nothing to improve it. As I have said before our great game is all about opinins and I believe 451 does not work. Rant over and I hope this was a one off performance.

I think its important to give subs the time to make a significant impact.

Better team won yesterday. I thought Dundee were solid and hard-working, although not quite as good as I expected.

As for us, we were extremely poor. Take away May and Macca and we have almost no threat going forward. Graham was isolated for the majority of the game and couldn't link up play. We didn't stretch them or look like scoring at any point. Weatherspoon in particular was poor and it's been a good while since I've seen him have a good game. His touch seems to have gone off.

Our season looks like it will be all about keeping it solid and nicking goals here and there. I really would like to see us add a striker or someone in the 10 role, but it would depend on the quality available, which may not be better than we have.

Theres nothing wrong with the 4-5-1, its the same formation thats kept us in the top six so long and won us a cup, I wish people would get over this idea that its a negative formation.

We played it when macca was injured or changed to it during a game to mix things up e.g. Cup semi, but that was 4-3-3 more than 4-5-1.

Playing one up front against fellow mid table team was quite negative, we created nothing and had very little support for graham. The midfield was usually way off him and can think of very few times when anyone ran beyond him. We offered no threat whatsoever in behind them, everything was in front of their back 4 all day.

Formation is Key.

We can playe 4-5-1 with the wider players but the central 3 need to not drop soo deep.

Why sign Lappin and not play him? By far the most intelligent player with the ball at his feet. I think TW has his favourites and they were feckin awful yesterday hence they lasted the 90 minutes.

They moved the ball quickly through midfield, we slowed it down to allow them to get back.

They mixed play between long and short balls, we kept on trying to hit a target man with no support.

It should've been a 4-4-2 yesterday to mix it up.

My concern is, with us winning the cup do players think they are better than they are? O'Halloran and Cuptie arguing on the park, Wotherspoon kicking his heels most of the game, Wright charging 40 yards to make tackles in the midfield area and near the end Ando looking into the crowd in disgust as Graham run the other direction and Andos pass going into the middle instead of the wing where Graham was pointing, whilst Dundee had the ball and looking to counter attack??

Get if feckin sorted Saints as performances like that don't make the non-regular supporter come up. If the team can't get themselves up for a derby then they should be dropped. The performance was awful.

Zero shots on target.

Scobbie out and Macca out, we need more players but that ain't gonna happen.

As for the crowd, pretty low considering Dundee's form. I'd have expected them to bring more than quoted considering it's only up the road.

Gary Harkins took the piss. No May and no MacLean and no Hasslebaink makes me very very worried.

Please tell me they can recall Kane as he is far better than Morgan who doesn't look like a footballer I'm afraid.

We don't have Roddy or O'Boyle either?! Your point is not a great one. May and Hasselbaink are gone and never to return, Macca is injured. I doubt having the first two would've made a difference considering midfield kept loosing the ball.

Morgan is a striker, not a winger, wide player or support striker. If we played a 4-4-2 from the start and played him from the start we would see progression. Giving a lad about 30 mins in a derby is not going to give any impact, especially as we continued playing the way we were. 

Should trial a 4-4-2 against Inverness.

We played it when macca was injured or changed to it during a game to mix things up e.g. Cup semi, but that was 4-3-3 more than 4-5-1.

Playing one up front against fellow mid table team was quite negative, we created nothing and had very little support for graham. The midfield was usually way off him and can think of very few times when anyone ran beyond him. We offered no threat whatsoever in behind them, everything was in front of their back 4 all day.

It was the exact same system we played against Aberdeen earlier this season. It wasn't the tactics, it was poor performances that was the problem. We couldn't have played a 4-4-2 either as Dundee pack the centre of the park with four players occupying that area, similar to Aberdeen. If we'd played a 4-4-2 we'd have been even worse off as we'd have been leaving one of McGowan or Harkins completely free more often than not, and they caused us enough problems anyway. 

Adam Morgan isn't anywhere near the answer, he's just not good enough on the ball or off it, giving him game time isn't going to improve him enough. I wouldn't be too adverse to bringing Lappin into yesterdays line up and putting O'Halloran through the middle in games when Graham is out or being rested, in fact I'd prefer that to ever seeing Morgan again.

Theres nothing wrong with the 4-5-1, its the same formation thats kept us in the top six so long and won us a cup, I wish people would get over this idea that its a negative formation.

We have to agree to disagree on this point. In my opinion this formation is defencive but worked because of May up front; the ball was fired forward for him to run onto and score while we kept the other 10 behind the ball. This gave us one of the strongest defences in the league last year but without a 22 goal a year striker the system is flawed. The best football we played last season was 4411 with McLean linking the play between the wide midfielders and and the striker. I hope that Graham gets the chance to play the link role while McLean is out. The only problem is who then plays up front? (Morgan)

What he needs is to learn you get clattered over the course of the game and you'll never make a career in the game by avoiding it. Looked shit scared everytime someone came near him, everything so tentative about him as he seems convinced he'll be clattered so is protecting himself, maybe he had a bad injury at some point and hasn't recovered mentally

Exactly what I thought....he looked like he was bricking it every time he was near the ball

Cant understand why tw cant play graham and ohalloran

upfront

why has he adopted this one upfront with an unsupporting midfield

Because it would've been idiocy to play a flat four in midfield yesterday.

Always amazes me how every loss is blamed on the formation, it wasn't the system at fault. It was poor performances in the midfield that caused us problems, and poor deliveries when we got in decent positions. A 4-4-2 wouldn't have improved anything